Texting thru car using Bluetooth

Captpt

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with bluetooth sync and Unconnect, the car will read my incoming texts out loud but that's all, my previous Windows 1520's Cortana would take over texting and read them thru the Jeep's system and offer reply voice wise thru the car's system but I can't get the Edge to do it?? Anyone know a way using Google or possibly Google Now??

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee with bluetooth sync and Unconnect, the car will read my incoming texts out loud but that's all, my previous Windows 1520's Cortana would take over texting and read them thru the Jeep's system and offer reply voice wise thru the car's system but I can't get the Edge to do it?? Anyone know a way using Google or possibly Google Now??

I know this!

Both My 2015 dodge dart and 2015 charger do this as well. It's because uconnect (should read the texts out loud) but only offers the standard canned text replies. Dodge makes you purchase the service (in your manual) to be able to reply with your own voice texts.

It's BS if you ask me.

Posted via the Android Central App

Captpt

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I know this!

Both My 2015 dodge dart and 2015 charger do this as well. It's because uconnect (should read the texts out loud) but only offers the standard canned text replies. Dodge makes you purchase the service (in your manual) to be able to reply with your own voice texts.

It's BS if you ask me.

I did have Uconnect for the first year after I bought it and it did the texting via voice but I didn't renew my subscrition for Uconnect because my Windows phone did it, Cortana actually came right thru the system reading and having me reply thru voice texting right through the car.. I would find it hard to believe I can't do the same using a Android Phone vs Windows phone??? I'll see is S voice works..

Thomas Gruver

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
I've just moved from a Windows Phone as well... and this was the best feature with Cortana for sure!

I don't think you can get the same interaction with s-voice or google... but this is what I have found that is as close as possible.

Assuming your car connects to your phone through BT.. then it likely has a button somewhere (steering wheel) that you use to use voice commands in the car. Try pushing it for about two seconds, and see if that bypasses the car system and goes to your phone TTS. If that works, you can then issue commands, like "text my wife"...etc.

Now, the system does not read your messages automatically when they come in like Cortana :-(, but if you know a message just came in (heard a ding on your phone), you can hold down 2 secs on the car voice button, access google/phone, and then "read me my last text message". this will read it over the car speaker system, and will ask you if you want to respond, etc.

Close as I've come so far.

EDIT: I tried setting this up on my Audi, and the long key press does NOT work :-(. Not sure why this works on a BMW and not an Audi.

Last edited:

santa6

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
I received an update to my Verizon S7 Edge last night and now my texting over bluetooth in my 2015 Infiniti Q50 works automatically?!?!?!

Hoku001

Jun 15, 2016
Visit site
I also just came from Windows Phone, and I find it amazing that this "feature" isn't baked into Android. My first Windows Phone 7, back in 2010, could do voice controlled text reading/replying when on headset or Bluetooth... It got way better in Windows Phone 8 with Cortana's debut. With Windows 10 Mobile, however, I found that the feature actually go worse. Not sure how that happened, but for my car (a Ford with Sync), the voice texting became near useless, a real hit or miss proposition.

Now I have a Nexus 6p. I found that S Voice that some of you are talking about here is an exclusive Samsung thing. I've been searching through the Play store and haven't seen anything like what we could do with Windows Phone. Found some that will read the messages, but I'm not sure about replying. Of course, there are some many different apps out there, I'm probably just not finding it.

Since I'm probably only one of two other guys here in this forum who have ever even seen a Windows Phone before <sarcastic tone>, this is how it worked on Windows:

First, you turn on the voice assist feature when connected to a BT headset or other device.
When connected to your headset (or car) an incoming text will trigger Cortana to tell you "you have a message from xxxx do you want me to read it," etc.
You say "read it," and Cortana will read the message to you. When done, she asked if you want to reply.
You speak back your reply, and Cortana will read it back to you and ask you if you want to "try it again, add more, or send it". If you're good to go, you can just say "send it."

The nice thing is that this feature isn't an "app" as it's just part of Windows Phone and you didn't have to start or launch anything (other than to turn it on in the first place). It wasn't perfect, like you wouldn't want to try this driving on the highway with your windows down, but for the most part it was a great feature.

Does anyone know of an app that will do this?

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have a 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well. It seems to work fine for me. I dont mind pressing the "listen" button. In fact, I'd rather do that then have it read my texts as soon as they come in. The reply function works well and even reads back your text before you send to make sure it says exactly what you said.

amc222

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I also just came from Windows Phone, and I find it amazing that this "feature" isn't baked into Android. My first Windows Phone 7, back in 2010, could do voice controlled text reading/replying when on headset or Bluetooth... It got way better in Windows Phone 8 with Cortana's debut. With Windows 10 Mobile, however, I found that the feature actually go worse. Not sure how that happened, but for my car (a Ford with Sync), the voice texting became near useless, a real hit or miss proposition.

Now I have a Nexus 6p. I found that S Voice that some of you are talking about here is an exclusive Samsung thing. I've been searching through the Play store and haven't seen anything like what we could do with Windows Phone. Found some that will read the messages, but I'm not sure about replying. Of course, there are some many different apps out there, I'm probably just not finding it.

Since I'm probably only one of two other guys here in this forum who have ever even seen a Windows Phone before <sarcastic tone>, this is how it worked on Windows:

First, you turn on the voice assist feature when connected to a BT headset or other device.
When connected to your headset (or car) an incoming text will trigger Cortana to tell you "you have a message from xxxx do you want me to read it," etc.
You say "read it," and Cortana will read the message to you. When done, she asked if you want to reply.
You speak back your reply, and Cortana will read it back to you and ask you if you want to "try it again, add more, or send it". If you're good to go, you can just say "send it."

The nice thing is that this feature isn't an "app" as it's just part of Windows Phone and you didn't have to start or launch anything (other than to turn it on in the first place). It wasn't perfect, like you wouldn't want to try this driving on the highway with your windows down, but for the most part it was a great feature.

Does anyone know of an app that will do this?

Nope, I've "seen a Windows phone" too lol I just went from a Windows 8 to a Samsung Galaxy s7. The text thru BT was one of the BEST features on the Windows phone. I really can't believe any new phone wouldn't have this feature. Having to touch the panel in the car in order to hear a message, defeats the purpose of "hands free." Part of me wants to switch back to Windows because of this feature. And, the S Voice is not as good as Cortana. I hope Samsung updates their technology & adds this feature.

Last edited by a moderator:

pvcleave

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So my wife moved from Windows phone and this is one of the features missing. I know some people, with Android, who say it works automatically. These people have always been on Verizon. I was under the impression that AT&T removes voice texting from Android, I could be mistaken. I have been researching, trying software, for almost two years to get this to work. My wife is driving a 2016 Mercedes.

tedj13

Jul 8, 2016
Visit site
So on my 2015 Subaru Legacy I could text using my old galaxy s3 on Verizon, but with my new S7 on AT&T I can't use the voice command to text. It will let me use voice command to text through my car system if I am plugged into the USB port.

tmdaniels98

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
I also switched from Windows phone and desperately miss this feature. I have tried some apps for Android on the S7, and they just don't work. Anyone finds anything, let me know.

This and the OS are what I miss from Windows. :'(

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I still have my s5 att, and it works thru my car , it tells me text came thru, then I click listen, it reads it to me. I can reply but only auto messages. My car is 2010 lincoln. All I had to do was sync phone to car.

Posted from Android Central.
on Samsung Galaxy s5

drosene

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
I too switched back to Android (OnePlus3) after over three years on Windows Phone. What could be accomplished with Cortana was nothing short of amazing. Full hands free texting in my Mazda via Cortana is the number one feature that I miss today. I know how many people feel about regulations but if there was ever a need for a federal regulation it would be to require hands free SMS functionality from all vendors. The savings in dollars and lives makes make this seem as obvious as mandatory seat belts and air bags. I don't want to be forced to ride in an autonomous car yet that seems to be more likely than this simple fix!

Ex_WPhone_usr

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
ULTIMATELY, I MISS CORTANA and here hands free functionality!!!! I can not figure out which app and configuration combination will announce the arrival of a text, then let me decide what to do with it, including dictate a response with out touching the phone while driving using the car's Bluetooth. S voice is only on Samsung phones. Has anyone found a total solution? If not, is there something that at least announces the arrival of a text and maybe gives an option to have it read aloud?

I held onto my Lumia 925 until it died. Switching to android has its up and downs. There are so many apps. Some good, some not so good. But what all us Windows Phone users have come to enjoy as basic functions are not there or require "crack ace" customization. I had a time there where I somehow turned on the caller announce feature that says out loud who is calling (that went over well in a meetings). The notifications ding and interrupt music playing all the time. I've only figured out how to shut off these notifications as an "all or nothing" resolution but its not ideal because I want to see the notifications(just not be interrupted with sound from anything other than text or phone). You know basic windows phone functions....

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I always thought you could download Cortana on Android until I tried today to replace Google Now with it and it wasn't there. Is it available in some regions?