No notifications in Always On Display mode

Todoroff

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Hey,
I'm using Samsung stock email and sms apps on my S7 Edge but they don't show notifications when the Always On Display is turned on. Even a missed call wouldn't show up.
"Hide notifications on lock screen" is off and every other related option is checked and re-checked.
It just doesn't work.
Is it a bug, or there is something I don't know?
Cheers!

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Hey,
I'm using Samsung stock email and sms apps on my S7 Edge but they don't show notifications when the Always On Display is turned on. Even a missed call wouldn't show up.
"Hide notifications on lock screen" is off and every other related option is checked and re-checked.
It just doesn't work.
Is it a bug, or there is something I don't know?
Cheers!

how long are you waiting for the notification to appear? i haven't paid much attention to it, but maybe the poll time is longer than you are waiting for the screen to refresh its data?

also if you're using the calendar AOD mode then you won't see any notifications, just the clock, calendar, and battery %.

Todoroff

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
how long are you waiting for the notification to appear? i haven't paid much attention to it, but maybe the poll time is longer than you are waiting for the screen to refresh its data?

also if you're using the calendar AOD mode then you won't see any notifications, just the clock, calendar, and battery %.

Well, when I first noticed that I had a missed call(good old LED) but no icon in AOD it had been passed about 15min.
Emails - all night and only LED, no icon whatsoever.

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
Well, when I first noticed that I had a missed call(good old LED) but no icon in AOD it had been passed about 15min.
Emails - all night and only LED, no icon whatsoever.

which AOD mode are you using? the clock? or the calendar?

i use the calendar, but if you're using the clock i can switch it and test it out.

Todoroff

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
which AOD mode are you using? the clock? or the calendar?

i use the calendar, but if you're using the clock i can switch it and test it out.

I tried with both the calendar and various clock themes - nothing changed.
I even disabled Gmail, cuz i thought it could mess up with the stock, but that wasn't the case either.

Kirk Burkhead

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I could not get any notifications when using the calender AOD, but I do get messages and missed calls when using just the clock options in AOD. Nothing on emails in either, and I'm using the stock email app for an exchange work account.

Posted via the Android Central App

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site
I tried with both the calendar and various clock themes - nothing changed.
I even disabled Gmail, cuz i thought it could mess up with the stock, but that wasn't the case either.

hmm, i'll switch mine and call myself and see what happens

update:

i jsut tried it out and i get the missed call notification basically instantly (as soon as the screen times out and AOD turns on)

are you sure you're not hiding notifications either in the app settings or in lock screen and security?

santa6

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Moderator, I upgraded from the S5 to the S7 Edge. Battery life is great. Absolutely love the new phone. It would be great, though, if the AOD was expanded to include gmail and mail notifications, local weather and agenda for the day. Any hope for that in the foreseeable future?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
You'd have to ask Samsung that question, not the mod. This is an independent site, with no relationship to Samsung at all.

But yes, I think everyone agrees that AOD should show all notifications, not just from Samsung's apps.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Moderator, I upgraded from the S5 to the S7 Edge. Battery life is great. Absolutely love the new phone. It would be great, though, if the AOD was expanded to include gmail and mail notifications, local weather and agenda for the day. Any hope for that in the foreseeable future?

Your edge feed can do some of that

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I was getting notification with AOD, but for some reason they stopped. I'm not sure if it's something I did, or a bug. But the notifications are so limited, both in what apps work and the information displayed, I just turned AOD off. It's rare that I'm far enough from a watch or clock or computer that I need to check the time on my phone.

SamsungGeek

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I did some digging and found a setting that might help with your missing icons. Go to Settings>Personal>Lock Screen and Security>Notification Access
Make sure "Always on Display" is set to "ON"
It fixed my problem with the S7 Edge

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I did some digging and found a setting that might help with your missing icons. Go to Settings>Personal>Lock Screen and Security>Notification Access
Make sure "Always on Display" is set to "ON"
It fixed my problem with the S7 Edge
I don't even see the same settings menu you mentioned on my S7E.

SamsungGeek

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Opps, I missed one. Settings>Personal(tab)>Lock screen and security>other security settings>notification access>
Make sure "Always on Display" is on.
It's still doesn't show the email icon but it does show the sms icon.

Sam1482

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
The s7 edge aod does not show 3rd party notifications like the n7 does it will only show missed call a message hope samsung updates the s7 edge soon to show it like the note 7 did

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Man, I wish Samsung would open up the the API to allow third party apps. The lack of that support kind of makes it useless. SMH.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I agree that AOD is pretty useless without the third party notifications. I turned mine off until there is an update that allows third party notifications, right now it's just wasted battery usage

SamsungGeek

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
After all the screwing around trying to get the stock app to work, I finally gave up on it. Go to google play and download "Always On AMOLED - BETA". It works GREAT!