View Poll Results: Wait or pull the trigger?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pull the trigger on the S7e

12 34.29%
  • Wait for the Note 6 if your phone can make it. Then weigh your options.

23 65.71%
04-15-2016 02:53 AM
89 1234
tools
    If you prefer the Note 6 then you should wait for it. A little bit of patients can avoid some anxiety at having jumped the gun and got something that you don't like as much
    You're right on the mark with that one.

Patience is a virtue. Those who are patient are often rewarded.

That said, it's not my craving for a new phone that's making the wait hard. It's how my phone seems to have its life draining away by every passing second.
    03-29-2016 06:39 AM
    In all likelihood, no non-Nexus branded phone will ship with N in late 2016. In a different time, I would say that the Moto line would be one of the few that actually got the OTA for N before the year is out, but since Lenovo took over, Moto's speedy updates slowed a bit and that's all up in the air.
    03-29-2016 08:36 AM
    In all likelihood, no non-Nexus branded phone will ship with N in late 2016. In a different time, I would say that the Moto line would be one of the few that actually got the OTA for N before the year is out, but since Lenovo took over, Moto's speedy updates slowed a bit and that's all up in the air.
    The completed OS will likely ship to the public alongside the new Nexus devices, as was the case with the Nexus 5, 6, 5X and 6P alongside some older Nexii.

Not sure when the new Nexus device will be revealed, but July is too soon to me.
    03-29-2016 09:06 AM
    I had a Note 5 and used the pen quite a bit. I have the S7e and don't really miss it that much... I use the Surface 3 for my note taking now.
    03-29-2016 09:46 AM
    I thought that rumor was a bit of a stretch.

The N6 is rumored to release in July. Google I/O 2016 is on May 18-20, which is where we'll see Android N in further action.

Even so, assuming N is released by then, I'm not sure if Samsung can make TouchWiz work on it fast enough before the launch of the Note 6.

Then again, there is a possibility that Android will split into a Google-controlled backend and a Samsung-controlled frontend to speed up OS updates while allowing Samsung to do their thing.
    We already know that we're getting 5 monthly updates to the N dev preview, so I doubt a phone or final release of N will happen in June/July (the math doesn't add up).

If Google does do that whole separation thing for OS/security updates we still have to wait for Samsung to decide if they're going to do it that way or not. It seems like it would be a huge undertaking for them to adopt to the new method, but that's just a straight up guess since we don't know how/if it will be like that, or how Google will implement it.

I would rather see the Note released with stable software that has been well tested than rush N out with a bunch of bugs.
    D13H4RD2L1V3 likes this.
    03-29-2016 10:55 AM
    I would rather see the Note released with stable software that has been well tested than rush N out with a bunch of bugs.
    Same here. I'm honestly fine with Marshmallow 6.0.1 since it's pretty stable and I also get many of the same features on the TouchWiz ROM as what stock Android N has, so it's not like I'm missing out on anything other than bragging rights.
    AustinTech likes this.
    03-29-2016 11:00 AM
    The Note 6 will be ridiculously expensive if that is an issue.
    03-29-2016 02:38 PM
    How much more than the $800 for the S7edge? LOL
    03-29-2016 03:13 PM
    The Note 6 will be ridiculously expensive if that is an issue.
    How so? The Note has always been around $600-700 IIRC .. the S7 Edge is an $800 phone.
    Laura Knotek and MikezDroid like this.
    03-29-2016 03:47 PM
    How so? The Note has always been around $600-700 IIRC .. the S7 Edge is an $800 phone.
    I read some predictions of Note 6 with 5.8 inch screen including 256gb built in sd and 6 gb internal memory using Android N in the $1200 range. Supposed to be a real pocket computer.
    03-29-2016 03:55 PM
    I read some predictions of Note 6 with 5.8 inch screen including 256gb built in sd and 6 gb internal memory using Android N in the $1200 range. Supposed to be a real pocket computer.
    Sounds like bs
    spock123 likes this.
    03-29-2016 03:57 PM
    Could be but described by several sources. Do a google search of note 6.

I hope it is true. Sounds spectacular. BTW current 64 gb model for me is $792.
    03-29-2016 03:58 PM
    I would ignore these rumors. I doubt they're going to make the screen .1 bigger (why?). Internals? I see them doing what they did with the S7 Edge (they usually copy that) by doing the whole internal option and SD card ... and Android N? No way at all. Android N is still in developer preview for Nexus devices. There is no way they're going to be able to get N to Samsung, Samsung make their modifications, and then release with it as a stable working version with their bloat / stuff sitting along side N (not to mention carrier bloat).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-29-2016 04:00 PM
    Maybe a top end model... But the base will be in the $700-850 range. IMO
    03-29-2016 04:00 PM
    I say try to nurse that G4 until July/August when the Note 6 comes out. I am not a big fan of curved displays. I had the S6 edge when it first came out and the novelty wore out quickly. I traded it in for the Note 5 on launch day at T-mobile. Love the large flat display (protected with tempered glass screen protector) and the S-pen. Can't see me going back to S series Galaxy or other phone without integrated pen.

Kind of off topic, I have a third generation IPad that I want to upgrade but not impressed with the new iPad Pro 9.7. $599 for the 32GB wifi only version plus another $99 for the Apple pencil. No 64GB model (which is the storage on my current iPad). May wait until Fall to see if there will be a new iPad mini.
    03-29-2016 05:24 PM
    I'm in a similar yet different situation. I've had a samsung note phone for the past 3 1/2 years (the note 2 and now the note 4). Although I love the note series I'm honestly kind of tired of touchwiz and samsungs lack of updates. However I really love the idea of the s pen (in all honesty I rarely use it but i am a firm believer in what if...). I really want a new phone and am torn between the s7 (most likely the edge as the regular 7 seems too basic), waiting for the note 6 or the lg g5. However my note 4 is driving me craazy so I really want to switch now. uuuugh. decisions.
    03-29-2016 05:36 PM
    Rumors are rumors.

6GB of LPDDR4 memory is plausible, though not many phones have more than 6GB of memory other than some Chinese ones we rarely hear of in the States.

256GB of UFS 2.0 internal storage is also pretty high and kinda unlikely, but may exist as a top-end option. Base storage is likely to be 64GB or 32GB, though the latter may not be as likely since more and more phones are moving to 64GB as their base option. The return of the SD card slot is highly likely, since the S7 it's based on reinstated the SD card slot and has been a long-time Note staple until the Note 5 dropped it, like the S6 it was based on.

Android N is pretty much a far stretch. The version that will be shown off at Google I/O in May will likely be a polished-but-still-beta version that's not ready for final release yet.

If history is any indication, Android N will officially launch alongside the Nexus devices of 2016, just like Marshmallow with the 5X & 6P, Lollipop with the 6 and KitKat with the 5.
    03-29-2016 05:59 PM
    I'm just going to come out an say it - I was excited about the S7 - until I actually held one my hand. My instantaneous feeling was - this phone is very feminine. It looks like a piece of jewelry and is apparently very fragile. I'll stay with my S5 which feels indestructible by comparison.
    03-29-2016 08:08 PM
    I'm in a similar yet different situation. I've had a samsung note phone for the past 3 1/2 years (the note 2 and now the note 4). Although I love the note series I'm honestly kind of tired of touchwiz and samsungs lack of updates. However I really love the idea of the s pen (in all honesty I rarely use it but i am a firm believer in what if...). I really want a new phone and am torn between the s7 (most likely the edge as the regular 7 seems too basic), waiting for the note 6 or the lg g5. However my note 4 is driving me craazy so I really want to switch now. uuuugh. decisions.
    I read they stripped Touch Whiz down a bit for the S7 series. I've been with HTC for the last 6 years but the styling and screen size of the S7 Edge caused me to make the switch.
    03-29-2016 08:28 PM
    Got my Note 5 for 650 if memory serves and that was on release day
    03-29-2016 08:42 PM
    Sounds like bs
    I've heard the same thing. Heard they might come out with 2 versions of the note.
    4K screen, 6gb ram. 256sd card in a 32 GB phone.
    Heard it will fit in a mini notebook for a keyboard & larger screen. Gonna be super fast. Faster than any phone Apple will release this year.
    Like A 16 core Octacore processor.
    Suppose to be the most advanced phone they have ever released
    But we got to wait and see what boils out of it.
    MikezDroid likes this.
    03-29-2016 09:06 PM
    It looks like a piece of jewelry and is apparently very fragile. I'll stay with my S5 which feels indestructible by comparison.
    When you consider Gorilla glass 4, the higher IP68 certified dust proofing/water resistance and the internal cooling tube in the S7 vs Gorilla glass 3 and IP67 in the S5, the S7 is more durable in some ways.
    03-29-2016 09:27 PM
    I'm just going to come out an say it - I was excited about the S7 - until I actually held one my hand. My instantaneous feeling was - this phone is very feminine. It looks like a piece of jewelry and is apparently very fragile. I'll stay with my S5 which feels indestructible by comparison.
    I left the S6 and went with the S7e. Man what a difference.
    My wife had the S5, I gave her my S6. She said battery life was better. And the phone was faster. She played with my S7E. She said WoW, it's even faster and the battery is great.
    If I but the note 6, I'm gonna give her my S7E. And she is always dropping things all the time.
    But I think with the UAG case she won't worry.
    These phones are suppose to be fun. Not worrying about them.
    GMC262 likes this.
    03-29-2016 09:36 PM
    I've heard the same thing. Heard they might come out with 2 versions of the note.
    4K screen, 6gb ram. 256sd card in a 32 GB phone.
    Heard it will fit in a mini notebook for a keyboard & larger screen. Gonna be super fast. Faster than any phone Apple will release this year.
    Like A 16 core Octacore processor.
    Suppose to be the most advanced phone they have ever released
    But we got to wait and see what boils out of it.
    Why do we even need a 16-core processor on a phone?

Sounds like a baloney sandwich to me.
    03-29-2016 10:39 PM
    I'm sort of in the same boat so I'll be interested to see which choice the OP goes with. I have an S5 that's been eligible for an upgrade since the fall but I love the phone so much it didn't matter. Well, now I'm itching for a faster, better, more useful S5 but there's not really one out there (with the features I like).

And now my mind is set on the Note 6 but July (at the earliest) is a long time to wait in light of all the new phones coming out now. I really want rhe S Pen but the big risk is waiting only to find the new Note is closer to the Note 5 than Note 4 (i.e. no I.R. blaster or removable battery).

Guess we'll see...
    03-30-2016 12:19 AM
89 1234