Pull the trigger on the GS7 Edge or wait it out for the Note 6?

Wait or pull the trigger?

• Total voters

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Alright, let me explain my dilemma right now.

Many of you know my current daily driver is an LG G4, which I loved a whole lot until recently. My original unit died to the bootloop issue when it was just 6 months old. It's been replaced with a newer unit that's now 3 months old, but has started chalking up issues, namely overheating and unexplained battery drain that causes the phone to die off quicker than normal.

As such, I have decided to replace the phone with a totally different phone from the current year. After some research and evaluation of my usage pattern, I decided on the Galaxy S7 Edge as it has a large battery and expandable storage that suits my usage pattern perfectly. Add in great performance, a stellar camera package and other stuff like Samsung Pay and it's already set to be my next daily driver. Except for one thing.

I have always loved the Note series. In fact, I'm more fond of the Note-line compared to the S-line. I love the S Pen and what it does and I also love the focus on productivity when it comes to what the Note is made for. So naturally, I'm excited for the Note 6. But I'm not sure if I should wait a few months for the Note 6 or just get the GS7 now.

It's easier said than done. I would LOVE to wait for the Note 6 as I really love the Note-line as a whole (even though I think the 5 kinda missed the mark, although it is still a great phone) but I'm not sure if my G4 will survive past July as it seems to be exhibiting the same issues that struck my old unit before it died.

So what do you guys think?

Also, curved screen or S Pen?

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a S7 E on order but the non removable battery and the glass back are negatives. The larger battery is good but it's not that hard to charge mid day of you need to. It is hard to change your non removable battery when after 18 months it's not holding a charge that we'll.

The new G5 isn't available to hold and see yet but the ability to replace the battery and the metal back look good. The modules seem a gimmick to me. They'll probably be orphans when you replace the phone.

Decisions decisions.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a S7 E on order but the non removable battery and the glass back are negatives. The larger battery is good but it's not that hard to charge mid day of you need to. It is hard to change your non removable battery when after 18 months it's not holding a charge that we'll.

The new G5 isn't available to hold and see yet but the ability to replace the battery and the metal back look good. The modules seem a gimmick to me. They'll probably be orphans when you replace the phone.

Decisions decisions.

The removable battery doesn't matter as much to me since the phone will last all-day anyway.

And I'm actually not fond of the G5, particularly due to its battery size and my skepticism of LG's QC after having 2 failing G4s.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I do not think battery is of any concern with this ohone, most are averaging 6-7 SoT and some are getting 8-9 on a single charge.

If you need more than 8 hours screen time on a single charge then I do not know what to say, but the battery is no joke amazing in the edge with little effort to get the best out of it.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If you can live without the s pen, go with the s7e....NOW!

I had the note 3 and 4. I loved them. I used the s pen often but then i decided i needed a smaller phone because using two hands all the time got tedious. So i got the s6 and now the s7e. I don't miss the s pen at all now whatsoever so I'm good!

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I currently own the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and I am grateful to have gone with this choice - I was originally going to wait for the Note 6 to come out but my co-worker managed to get hers early and upon having seen it in person, I just had to have it. I was coming from a Galaxy S5 so I was instantly amazed. I don't necessarily need the S-Pen, just wanted something with a bigger screen and the S7 Edge just does it perfect for me.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
To the OP. I have always had Note devices with the exception of the Note 5 because of the lack of SD card slot and other missing features. This year I bought an iPad Pro and it has filled my note taking needs that used to be filled by my Note phones. I know you also have an iPad Pro from other posts you have made so I recommend getting the S7e. That's what I've done and am not regretting it one bit.

My daily carry devices are my S7e, my iPad Pro and my Note 4 (which is my very capable backup now).

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I find them to be two different devices altogether, so it's really based on your usage patterns and what features mean the most to you.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
To the OP. I have always had Note devices with the exception of the Note 5 because of the lack of SD card slot and other missing features. This year I bought an iPad Pro and it has filled my note taking needs that used to be filled by my Note phones. I know you also have an iPad Pro from other posts you have made so I recommend getting the S7e. That's what I've done and am not regretting it one bit.

My daily carry devices are my S7e, my iPad Pro and my Note 4 (which is my very capable backup now).
Yeah, I have the iPad Pro, but I didn't buy the Pencil, because I thought it was too expensive for how often I'm going to use it.

That's why I'm seriously considering the Note. Because it has a passive Wacom-based stylus and digitizer, the stylus doesn't need any batteries and offers nearly the same amount of precision and pressure inputs. Not to mention it's part of the phone itself.

In fact, I'm actually more fond of the S Pen than the curved edges, but the one on the S7 is seriously improved to the point where it's actually hard to choose between them.

I'm gonna have to spend more time with it in stores to really think about it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I have the iPad Pro, but I didn't buy the Pencil, because I thought it was too expensive for how often I'm going to use it.

That's why I'm seriously considering the Note. Because it has a passive Wacom-based stylus and digitizer, the stylus doesn't need any batteries and offers nearly the same amount of precision and pressure inputs. Not to mention it's part of the phone itself.

In fact, I'm actually more fond of the S Pen than the curved edges, but the one on the S7 is seriously improved to the point where it's actually hard to choose between them.

I'm gonna have to spend more time with it in stores to really think about it.
Pretty sure the Note stylus is active.

If you like the stylus so much why did you not get the Note 5?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty sure the Note stylus is active.

If you like the stylus so much why did you not get the Note 5?
Many actually have already asked me why I didn't just get the Note 5 now.

To which I will reply, "No expandable storage".

And really? I thought it was passive since it didn't have electronics in it, or so I thought.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Many actually have already asked me why I didn't just get the Note 5 now.

To which I will reply, "No expandable storage".

And really? I thought it was passive since it didn't have electronics in it, or so I thought.
Fair enough.

I personally don't think the Note 6 will be vastly different from the S7e. Bigger, flat screen. Maybe a larger battery. Obviously the stylus.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Fair enough.

I personally don't think the Note 6 will be vastly different from the S7e. Bigger, flat screen. Maybe a larger battery. Obviously the stylus.

Yeah, I'm eager to see how's the battery life. I mean, the Note 5 did last quite long considering the battery size. Just interested to see if the Note 6 will get an insanely larger battery.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I'll take the Edge features over the S-Pen.

I love the changes Samsung made with it.

I had the Note 5, Samsung's test drive for 1 month and barely used the S-Pen. The last time I really used it was back with the Note 3.

Iva_LadyDiCaprio98

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
LadyD, what you doing for a screen protector now that scrapped the Bodyguardz?

At the moment I don't have a screen protector on. I might stop by AT&T and get the Zagg HD instead but not sure as I had that one as well but it wasn't placed right. Or I might wait until there is a decent tempered glass available.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Also, curved screen or S Pen?

If you actually use the S-Pen .. I would say to stay with the Note 6. The curve is nice but that is about it .. nice. It has minimal uses (I am training myself to use them) but if you want usability (and use it) the S-Pen will trump this everytime.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'd say if you want a Note, wait for the Note. If history is any example, the Note will most likely be a better phone than the S7 or S7E.... at least it's been the case for the previous 3 or 4 generations.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
A point that got me to wait was update cycles. The note might come with android N, and even though it probably won't it'll still be updated before the s7. That got me to cancel my preorder and then the locked boot loader kept me from placing a new order. I'm on T-Mobile so if I grabbed an s7e then I'd probably see android n in late 2017 ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay