Pull the trigger on the GS7 Edge or wait it out for the Note 6?

Wait or pull the trigger?

• Total voters

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I do not think battery is of any concern with this ohone, most are averaging 6-7 SoT and some are getting 8-9 on a single charge.

If you need more than 8 hours screen time on a single charge then I do not know what to say, but the battery is no joke amazing in the edge with little effort to get the best out of it.

The SoT you're suggesting is mostly wishful thinking. The battery on this is amazing and a clear step up from the S6, but SoT is averaging 4-6 hours. Sure, there are rare times when you can get a bit more than that but for average use this is what a prospective buyer should expect.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
A point that got me to wait was update cycles. The note might come with android N, and even though it probably won't it'll still be updated before the s7. That got me to cancel my preorder and then the locked boot loader kept me from placing a new order. I'm on T-Mobile so if I grabbed an s7e then I'd probably see android n in late 2017 ;)

Unless Google radically changes the release schedule for Android with N the Note will not come with it. It'll come with what we have on the S7e.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Unless Google radically changes the release schedule for Android with N the Note will not come with it. It'll come with what we have on the S7e.
I thought that rumor was a bit of a stretch.

The N6 is rumored to release in July. Google I/O 2016 is on May 18-20, which is where we'll see Android N in further action.

Even so, assuming N is released by then, I'm not sure if Samsung can make TouchWiz work on it fast enough before the launch of the Note 6.

Then again, there is a possibility that Android will split into a Google-controlled backend and a Samsung-controlled frontend to speed up OS updates while allowing Samsung to do their thing.

shadoweave

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Alright, let me explain my dilemma right now.

Many of you know my current daily driver is an LG G4, which I loved a whole lot until recently. My original unit died to the bootloop issue when it was just 6 months old. It's been replaced with a newer unit that's now 3 months old, but has started chalking up issues, namely overheating and unexplained battery drain that causes the phone to die off quicker than normal.

As such, I have decided to replace the phone with a totally different phone from the current year. After some research and evaluation of my usage pattern, I decided on the Galaxy S7 Edge as it has a large battery and expandable storage that suits my usage pattern perfectly. Add in great performance, a stellar camera package and other stuff like Samsung Pay and it's already set to be my next daily driver. Except for one thing.

I have always loved the Note series. In fact, I'm more fond of the Note-line compared to the S-line. I love the S Pen and what it does and I also love the focus on productivity when it comes to what the Note is made for. So naturally, I'm excited for the Note 6. But I'm not sure if I should wait a few months for the Note 6 or just get the GS7 now.

It's easier said than done. I would LOVE to wait for the Note 6 as I really love the Note-line as a whole (even though I think the 5 kinda missed the mark, although it is still a great phone) but I'm not sure if my G4 will survive past July as it seems to be exhibiting the same issues that struck my old unit before it died.

So what do you guys think?

Also, curved screen or S Pen?

If you prefer the Note 6 then you should wait for it. A little bit of patients can avoid some anxiety at having jumped the gun and got something that you don't like as much

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If you prefer the Note 6 then you should wait for it. A little bit of patients can avoid some anxiety at having jumped the gun and got something that you don't like as much
You're right on the mark with that one.

Patience is a virtue. Those who are patient are often rewarded.

That said, it's not my craving for a new phone that's making the wait hard. It's how my phone seems to have its life draining away by every passing second.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
In all likelihood, no non-Nexus branded phone will ship with N in late 2016. In a different time, I would say that the Moto line would be one of the few that actually got the OTA for N before the year is out, but since Lenovo took over, Moto's speedy updates slowed a bit and that's all up in the air.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In all likelihood, no non-Nexus branded phone will ship with N in late 2016. In a different time, I would say that the Moto line would be one of the few that actually got the OTA for N before the year is out, but since Lenovo took over, Moto's speedy updates slowed a bit and that's all up in the air.

The completed OS will likely ship to the public alongside the new Nexus devices, as was the case with the Nexus 5, 6, 5X and 6P alongside some older Nexii.

Not sure when the new Nexus device will be revealed, but July is too soon to me.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I had a Note 5 and used the pen quite a bit. I have the S7e and don't really miss it that much... I use the Surface 3 for my note taking now.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I thought that rumor was a bit of a stretch.

The N6 is rumored to release in July. Google I/O 2016 is on May 18-20, which is where we'll see Android N in further action.

Even so, assuming N is released by then, I'm not sure if Samsung can make TouchWiz work on it fast enough before the launch of the Note 6.

Then again, there is a possibility that Android will split into a Google-controlled backend and a Samsung-controlled frontend to speed up OS updates while allowing Samsung to do their thing.
We already know that we're getting 5 monthly updates to the N dev preview, so I doubt a phone or final release of N will happen in June/July (the math doesn't add up).

If Google does do that whole separation thing for OS/security updates we still have to wait for Samsung to decide if they're going to do it that way or not. It seems like it would be a huge undertaking for them to adopt to the new method, but that's just a straight up guess since we don't know how/if it will be like that, or how Google will implement it.

I would rather see the Note released with stable software that has been well tested than rush N out with a bunch of bugs.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I would rather see the Note released with stable software that has been well tested than rush N out with a bunch of bugs.
Same here. I'm honestly fine with Marshmallow 6.0.1 since it's pretty stable and I also get many of the same features on the TouchWiz ROM as what stock Android N has, so it's not like I'm missing out on anything other than bragging rights.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
How so? The Note has always been around $600-700 IIRC .. the S7 Edge is an $800 phone.
I read some predictions of Note 6 with 5.8 inch screen including 256gb built in sd and 6 gb internal memory using Android N in the $1200 range. Supposed to be a real pocket computer.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Could be but described by several sources. Do a google search of note 6.

I hope it is true. Sounds spectacular. BTW current 64 gb model for me is $792.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I read some predictions of Note 6 with 5.8 inch screen including 256gb built in sd and 6 gb internal memory using Android N in the $1200 range. Supposed to be a real pocket computer.

I would ignore these rumors. I doubt they're going to make the screen .1 bigger (why?). Internals? I see them doing what they did with the S7 Edge (they usually copy that) by doing the whole internal option and SD card ... and Android N? No way at all. Android N is still in developer preview for Nexus devices. There is no way they're going to be able to get N to Samsung, Samsung make their modifications, and then release with it as a stable working version with their bloat / stuff sitting along side N (not to mention carrier bloat).

sheba510

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I say try to nurse that G4 until July/August when the Note 6 comes out. I am not a big fan of curved displays. I had the S6 edge when it first came out and the novelty wore out quickly. I traded it in for the Note 5 on launch day at T-mobile. Love the large flat display (protected with tempered glass screen protector) and the S-pen. Can't see me going back to S series Galaxy or other phone without integrated pen.

Kind of off topic, I have a third generation IPad that I want to upgrade but not impressed with the new iPad Pro 9.7. $599 for the 32GB wifi only version plus another $99 for the Apple pencil. No 64GB model (which is the storage on my current iPad). May wait until Fall to see if there will be a new iPad mini.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz