05-25-2017 09:17 PM
134 1234 ...
tools
    I'm not sure why people believe that this couldn't be true. I've seen reports of phones just bursting into flame. Not sure why the screen cracking is so unbelievable. It does suck that you can't get a repair from Samsung. If it's not your fault and it is defective hardware they should take care of it. At least investigate it.
    calgas likes this.
    03-28-2016 05:56 AM
    Damn, that sucks. Looks like an impact point, weird. Not even where the battery is, wonder why it would crack there, I would try again.
    Because the heat pipe is right behind the cracking (UK version with Exynos processor)...
    03-28-2016 06:37 AM
    Putting your fault on forums to make a point or to make an evidence is not going to help. Sorry to say that
    rusty502 likes this.
    03-28-2016 06:38 AM
    Putting your fault on forums to make a point or to make an evidence is not going to help. Sorry to say that
    I'm not saying it is going to help, but it might make other users aware of a potential problem. Besides, this forum is full of people posting issues with their phones, so I don't know what your problem is....(try the "Galaxy S7 Edge - early issues thread")
    03-28-2016 06:51 AM
    Still more believable than spontaneous cracking.
    Not really.
    03-28-2016 07:03 AM
    I'm not sure why people believe that this couldn't be true. I've seen reports of phones just bursting into flame. Not sure why the screen cracking is so unbelievable. It does suck that you can't get a repair from Samsung. If it's not your fault and it is defective hardware they should take care of it. At least investigate it.
    I don't think anyone is saying that breaking due to temperature fluctuations is impossible. They're saying the two photos in this thread clearly show stress sites that appear to be from an impact.

It's fine to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but the evidence here seems to (IMO) line up with exactly what Samsung said. This is a repair/insurance issue, not warranty or defect unless it was damaged like this when the box was opened or the account of spontaneous damage can be supported by evidence, such as photos showing breakage without impact point(s).

The OP's revised story that it was in a case supports the drop theory even more because it explains how the back of the device wasn't damaged during the drop - which was the most curious part.
    Laura Knotek and rusty502 like this.
    03-28-2016 07:04 AM
    All that said, the best course of action would be to file an insurance claim.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-28-2016 07:05 AM
    I don't think anyone is saying that breaking due to temperature fluctuations is impossible. They're saying the two photos in this thread clearly show stress sites that appear to be from an impact.

It's fine to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but the evidence here seems to (IMO) line up with exactly what Samsung said. This is a repair/insurance issue, not warranty or defect unless it was damaged like this when the box was opened or the account of spontaneous damage can be supported by evidence, such as photos showing breakage without impact point(s).

The OP's revised story that it was in a case supports the drop theory even more because it explains how the back of the device wasn't damaged during the drop - which was the most curious part.
    The drop theory????? I was there.....it was NEVER dropped!!!!! I've treated the thing with kid gloves ever since I got it....why should I pay for a repair or insurance deductible when there is a fault with the phone? And I suppose all these people are lying through their teeth when they experienced similar problems with the S6 http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...cracked-4.html
    03-28-2016 07:15 AM
    The drop theory????? I was there.....it was NEVER dropped!!!!! I've treated the thing with kid gloves ever since I got it....why should I pay for a repair or insurance deductible when there is a fault with the phone? And I suppose all these people are lying through their teeth when they experienced similar problems with the S6 http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...cracked-4.html
    Well you're the only one with a photo in that thread, many of them are talking about different phones and in some cases years ago, those that remain many are talking about cold weather damage occurring in their pocket, etc. Almost no one is talking about magic damage, they're describing what happens to glass with extreme cold + friction. But again, there's no evidence of a damage fairy visiting random people and destroying their phones without any other factors contributing to damage. Those other factors are what matters - and specifically the evidence of those factors, not a person who has a vested interest in the damage not being attributable to those factors denying those factors in spite of the evidence. Please stop taking this as an attack on you, it was clearly commentary on the photos and it's much more preferable to assume confusion and try to help explain things and look for solutions than to have accusations of lying, etc. flying around.
    03-28-2016 07:31 AM
    I quote....."The same thing just happened to me as well. I am in Orlando Florida, so the cold weather was not a factor, but I just picked up my S6 edge phone from the "fast charger" and the charger plug itself was unusually hot. There is a tiny crack from the top left corner to the bottom left corner on the front of the screen, and like everyone else here the phone hasn't fallen or been dropped. It is and has been in an otter box case since the minute it came out of the box. I found this forum, I'm glad to see I am not alone but I am very worried what they will say or how much they will try to charge me for repairs on something I simply did not cause."

The point is gorilla glass can be susceptible to temperature changes, be it external temperature, or overheating in the unit. But as a Samsung apologist, the instances of this don't really count because they don't fit your argument. I know exactly what happened to my phone, you don't. And that's the reason I'm digging my heels in on this. It would be much easier to file an insurance claim, and if I'd dropped it, I would do that. But I didn't drop it, there is a fault in the handset. When you rule out the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth....
    03-28-2016 07:36 AM
    Summary of a theory is a hypothesis that's supported by and explains all known evidence.

Glass CAN break without impact, it just requires stress. So things that can cause stress... Impact, bending, friction, scratches, extremely cold temperatures (especially sudden changes), vibration, etc. Without one of those sorts of things, or factors, glass will remain unbroken.

So what's the most logical factor contributing to breakage, as depicted in the photos? That's what the comments are about, trying to figure it out. Because we definitely can't make suggestions to users about how to ward off magic. But if there's a factor, then the mitigation/avoidance strategy would be to avoid that factor. And when the worst happens and the factor wins, then a suggestion can be made on a way to get it fixed or replaced, which, given the presence of a factor, would mean purchasing repairs or utilizing insurance.
    03-28-2016 07:38 AM
    The location of the crack is a definite drop but anyway Samsung should at least do a phone check up and get back to you with an answer.
    03-28-2016 07:39 AM
    I quote....."The same thing just happened to me as well. I am in Orlando Florida, so the cold weather was not a factor, but I just picked up my S6 edge phone from the "fast charger" and the charger plug itself was unusually hot. There is a tiny crack from the top left corner to the bottom left corner on the front of the screen, and like everyone else here the phone hasn't fallen or been dropped. It is and has been in an otter box case since the minute it came out of the box. I found this forum, I'm glad to see I am not alone but I am very worried what they will say or how much they will try to charge me for repairs on something I simply did not cause."
    So you have evidence that there was nothing but magic that caused a tiny crack? And you realize you dont have a tiny crack, right? (You have a shatter point with predictable radiating damage in your photos). I'm unclear on why it is so important to continue to make this assertion. If we're all wrong, prove it to Samsung and have them replace it. If you want sympathy, I'm sorry your new phone is destroyed. That really sucks. But please don't treat the community for fools.
    03-28-2016 07:43 AM

The point is gorilla glass can be susceptible to temperature changes, be it external temperature, or overheating in the unit. But as a Samsung apologist, the instances of this don't really count because they don't fit your argument. I know exactly what happened to my phone, you don't. And that's the reason I'm digging my heels in on this. It would be much easier to file an insurance claim, and if I'd dropped it, I would do that. But I didn't drop it, there is a fault in the handset. When you rule out the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth....
    I'm hardly a Samsung apologist lol, stop making this personal. As soon as you rule something out, please let us know. Then whatever remains can be discussed. but your claim ignores 100% of the evidence so we shall not be taking it on faith. Send it in to Samsung and if they investigate and determine its magic or a fault of the device and not attributable to any external factors, then they can replace it instead of repairing it.
    03-28-2016 07:46 AM
    Summary of a theory is a hypothesis that's supported by and explains all known evidence.

Glass CAN break without impact, it just requires stress. So things that can cause stress... Impact, bending, friction, scratches, extremely cold temperatures (especially sudden changes), vibration, etc. Without one of those sorts of things, or factors, glass will remain unbroken.

So what's the most logical factor contributing to breakage, as depicted in the photos? That's what the comments are about, trying to figure it out. Because we definitely can't make suggestions to users about how to ward off magic. But if there's a factor, then the mitigation/avoidance strategy would be to avoid that factor. And when the worst happens and the factor wins, then a suggestion can be made on a way to get it fixed or replaced, which, given the presence of a factor, would mean purchasing repairs or utilizing insurance.
    You forgot heat.....
    03-28-2016 07:49 AM
    I'm hardly a Samsung apologist lol, stop making this personal. As soon as you rule something out, please let us know. Then whatever remains can be discussed. but your claim ignores 100% of the evidence so we shall not be taking it on faith. Send it in to Samsung and if they investigate and determine its magic or a fault of the device and not attributable to any external factors, then they can replace it instead of repairing it.
    I am sending it to Samsung; the phone overheated, the glass cracked, and the cracking has since expanded. The fact is you're dead wrong, and don't have the good grace to admit there's a possibility I'm telling the truth. But in the meantime, you're calling me a liar, anyone else who says their glass shattered under similar circumstances a liar, and that we're insulting "the community" by making such outrageous claims based on damage that happened by "magic". How condescending, and you accuse me of being personal! Think what you like, it makes no difference to me, and no-one but yourself appinted yourself judge and jury. My motive in posting this was to raise awareness of an issue....that's all. If that's what you regard as treating the community "like fools", fine, but I make no apologies for it. We'll see in six months time how many more S7 Edge users have experienced the "magic".
    metz65, naira1 and minoch like this.
    03-28-2016 08:03 AM
    Well if you are 100% sure, then go through the arbitration process which you agreed to in the setup process. If the arbiter agrees with your assessment that it was a manufacturers defect then you would get it replaced under warranty. Honestly, Samsung might even replace it before then as it would probably cost more for Samsung to arbitrate than just replace your device.
    Aquila and calgas like this.
    03-28-2016 08:05 AM
    I am sending it to Samsung; the phone overheated, the glass cracked, and the cracking has since expanded. The fact is you're dead wrong, and don't have the good grace to admit there's a possibility I'm telling the truth. But in the meantime, you're calling me a liar, anyone else who says their glass shattered under similar circumstances a liar, and that we're insulting "the community" by making such outrageous claims based on damage that happened by "magic". How condescending, and you accuse me of being personal! Think what you like, it makes no difference to me, and no-one but yourself appinted yourself judge and jury. My motive in posting this was to raise awareness of an issue....that's all. If that's what you regard as treating the community "like fools", fine, but I make no apologies for it. We'll see in six months time how many more S7 Edge users have experienced the "magic".
    Let us know what Samsung says.

Anything is possible... But there are things likely and unlikely, and this is certainly the latter.
    03-28-2016 08:07 AM
    Send me a private message if you want to continue that conversation. Otherwise, let's just agree to disagree and I'll wish you the best of luck getting it resolved.
    03-28-2016 08:09 AM
    Send me a private message if you want to continue that conversation. Otherwise, let's just agree to disagree and I'll wish you the best of luck getting it resolved.
    Fair enough...my apologies for coming on a bit strong, but I'm very cross about this, and I am telling the truth. Yes, I agree it is very unlikely, but it did happen. Anyway, my apologies again....will let the board know how Samsung handles this....
    03-28-2016 08:16 AM
    @Calgas my apologies for unapproving your post, I was using tapatalk and was trying to get a link to the post and hit the wrong button.
    03-28-2016 08:18 AM
    Are you sure it really was the heat that caused it to crack?

It should be resistant to heat. In fact, my toaster of an LG G4 gets really hot on the display after just a few minutes of use (like, hot enough to make it uncomfortable to tap) and it hasn't cracked. Well, not yet.

The phone is about to be replaced soon with the upcoming Note 6 or S7 Edge depending on how the situation fares.
    03-28-2016 09:02 AM
    Fair enough...my apologies for coming on a bit strong, but I'm very cross about this, and I am telling the truth. Yes, I agree it is very unlikely, but it did happen. Anyway, my apologies again....will let the board know how Samsung handles this....
    Hopefully they will agree with you and replace the device. I guess they will be able to determine if they believe that is an impact point or not.
    03-28-2016 09:29 AM
    It's likely that Samsung [if they choose to look at it] can pull logs and get a reasonable history from various sensors in the device. It's really in Samsung's best interest to try and replicate this issue to eliminate the possibility of a public safety hazard. For the same reason it's the OP's responsibility to be assertive with Samsung.

We should be grateful to the OP for bringing this issue forward.
    Aquila, calgas and joeyvaz like this.
    03-28-2016 11:01 AM
    It doesn't really do any good to argue with the OP about what happened. He, and he alone, knows what happened. While I doubt this was caused by heat, I have seen other instances of spontaneous screen cracking. Not every piece of glass is 100% perfectly manufactured. A bit of a weak spot, combined with some external stress, and the glass can crack for no apparent reason. It's rare, but it happens.

OP, is there any insurance plan you can sign up for in the UK that might cover this?
    makaroni likes this.
    03-28-2016 11:24 AM
134 1234 ...