05-25-2017 09:17 PM
134 ... 3456
tools
    !

25 ($36US to those here in the States).... wow... Most of the insurance plan deductibles (typically via the carrier of origin) on this side of the pond are £120-£140, with premiums .... £5+ a month. Are your monthly premiums high? Sorry to side track...
    Agreed here. That is super cheap. Usually deductibles for us are pretty hardcore.
    03-29-2016 02:31 PM
    I have to agree. Its hard to swallow pride, but for that price I would just go the insurance route.
    03-29-2016 02:35 PM
    !

25 ($36US to those here in the States).... wow... Most of the insurance plan deductibles (typically via the carrier of origin) on this side of the pond are £120-£140, with premiums .... £5+ a month. Are your monthly premiums high? Sorry to side track...
    It's an add on with my bank account....£9.50 per month for my phone and tablet....
    03-29-2016 02:41 PM
    Agreed here. That is super cheap. Usually deductibles for us are pretty hardcore.
    Yup, think you're all right. I've thrown my eggs at Samsungs house, and anything more would be counter productive. BTW, if i'd have gone with the insurance from my carrier (Three), it would have been 12.50 per month and 100 deductible...
    03-29-2016 02:43 PM
    I am curious why charging terminated at 66%? I wonder if the Lithium battery vented, triggering the charge to terminate early and in doing so also pressurized the phone placing stress on the glass?
    03-29-2016 02:47 PM
    Wow, 25 quid deductible? My carrier insurance wants a $150 (104 quid) deductible for a phone that retails for $108. A s7 would be substantially higher.
    03-29-2016 02:47 PM
    Wait, we're 5 pages in and this is over something that's less than $40? @calgas situation still sucks, but I think the answer is pretty obvious there. Working phone replacement for less than 5% of the price of the phone is a no brainer.
    xocomaox likes this.
    03-29-2016 02:50 PM
    Wait, we're 5 pages in and this is over something that's less than $40? @calgas situation still sucks, but I think the answer is pretty obvious there. Working phone replacement for less than 5% of the price of the phone is a no brainer.
    /thread
    03-29-2016 03:07 PM
    Isn't it more responsible to raise the issue in case it happens to someone else? Yes, much easier to pay the deductible, but that's not the point...
    03-29-2016 03:09 PM
    Isn't it more responsible to raise the issue in case it happens to someone else? Yes, much easier to pay the deductible, but that's not the point...
    Well there are two issues. 1. Screens break, advising people to be careful and sharing your experience 2. Getting a working phone. The ideal solution addresses both, otherwise you have to choose which problem you're going to prioritize over the other.
    03-29-2016 03:19 PM
    Well there are two issues. 1. Screens break, advising people to be careful and sharing your experience 2. Getting a working phone. The ideal solution addresses both, otherwise you have to choose which problem you're going to prioritize over the other.
    I have been doing both. I've raised the issue, while simultaneosuly badgering Samsung and Three to the point that anything more would be futile because they're obviously not going to budge. I don't want to claim on insurance for a faulty product, but I've realised today that I probably don't have a choice. The deductible could have been 10p and I'd have done the same thing; it doesn't change the principle. Samsung get away with murder and the shoddiest of customer support...
    Aquila and bable like this.
    03-29-2016 03:30 PM
    @kramer5150 ; the S7 is not watertight. It is not a sealed submersible device. it is treated with a water repellent chemical that does not interfere with the circuitry.
    younggreenanne likes this.
    03-29-2016 05:00 PM
    Ever heard of the Droid Turbo 2? Yep, plastic screen.
    Yeah have fun with that. Thank God for lots of choices!

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-29-2016 05:25 PM
    You want plastic screens also?

Someday, if we can push plastics far enough that they're as clear as glass but for now I'd settle with 5 resilient sides with a pretty fragile side. A tough core with a glass case seems more logical than a glitzy core that requires a tough case.
    03-29-2016 07:49 PM
    DT2 has a good idea... Build phones with replaceable glass screens. Many of us throw tempered glass screen protectors on our phones... Countersink them into the frame. Might not be as fancy as the bonded displays we have now, but if rather have a new screen a quick $15 swap away.
    Aquila and tardus like this.
    03-29-2016 08:57 PM
    @kramer5150 ; the S7 is not watertight. It is not a sealed submersible device. it is treated with a water repellent chemical that does not interfere with the circuitry.
    Aah ok then... Still though there is quite a bit of adhesive and double sided tape holding everything together.
    03-29-2016 09:08 PM
    OP, terribly sorry to see / hear about your cracked screen. Looking at things objectively, to my eye it looks like something made impact with your phone. It may have not necessarily been a drop but perhaps something dropped onto it.

I've had glass tea mugs explode on me after drinking a hot cup of tea and foolishly running it under cold water. You're talking about a rapid change in temperature which would cause rapid expanding and contracting. That phone would have had to been at a very cool temperature and then quickly heated up in order to shatter.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing the heat theory. My car windows get hot and cold with ac / heat. Water application screen protectors recommend using a hair dryer to get the bubbles out. Screen replacements sometimes call for heat guns to loosen adhesive behind the digitizer.

Once again, your phone must have been in the freezer and then thrown in the oven for it to rapidly expand fast enough for that break.

I wish you the best of luck.
    03-29-2016 11:29 PM
    I have been doing both. I've raised the issue, while simultaneosuly badgering Samsung and Three to the point that anything more would be futile because they're obviously not going to budge. I don't want to claim on insurance for a faulty product, but I've realised today that I probably don't have a choice. The deductible could have been 10p and I'd have done the same thing; it doesn't change the principle. Samsung get away with murder and the shoddiest of customer support...
    Have you gone through arbitration or small claims with both Samsung and 3? Not sure the rules in the UK but in the usa, Samsung will pay for the arbitration costs.
    Laura Knotek and Aquila like this.
    03-30-2016 02:52 AM
    Wrong. It is sealed. No chemicals.
    03-30-2016 09:51 PM
    Strange !!
    03-31-2016 04:51 PM
    And none of these phones cracked:

Here's how the Galaxy S7 handles heat http://www.androidcentral.com/heres-...7-handles-heat
    04-02-2016 10:46 AM
    Lithium batteries have been known to have melt down issues in motorcycles, phones and those weird skate boards called hover boards. But if that were the case I'd expect to see damaged battery and plastic.

There may be some QC issues in these phones which may account for some with shorter discharge times. I'm not saying that's the case only a possible theory.

Fast charge in general may not be the best thing for long battery life-important in a phone with difficult battery replacement.

That said would bet a dollar you could take a propane torch to these screens without shatter.
    04-02-2016 11:33 AM
    That is NOT heat damage from overcharging. If it was, the op's house would have been burnt down. Because Gorilla Glass is able to withstand extreme temperatures of heat! like 500°F before it begins to soften! At those temps, that device would become a charred blob of goo. Phone was dropped. Suck it up, pay for the new screen.
    And how does soft glass break?
    04-04-2016 01:13 PM
    Why do you have 2 insurance policies. One with your bank and one with protect my bubble. Also with both of these if you don't claim within a certain time period your claim is invalid

04-05-2016 04:12 AM
    Samsung Galaxy s6 Edge
    I have been visited by the " magic cracking fairy too" I have had my phone about 6 months now and it has cracked on 3 separate occasions, what can be done about this? I treat it very carefully, never had a broken phone in my life, this is not fair!!
    04-07-2016 09:45 AM
134 ... 3456