Screen Cracking / Overheat

wxman2003

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps the OP is just angry that Samsung said no free replacement, so he/she posted as their way of getting back at Samsung to make it appear the S7 Edge has defects.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
As I said, nobody dropped it. It was on a wireless charger all night, in a case, on my bedside table. This happened a couple of days ago, so the cracking has expanded. What possible good would it do me to post this on a forum?? I don't care if you believe it or not, this did happen. Personally I think it was a flaw in the gorilla glass that cracked because of the change of temperature....

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure why people believe that this couldn't be true. I've seen reports of phones just bursting into flame. Not sure why the screen cracking is so unbelievable. It does suck that you can't get a repair from Samsung. If it's not your fault and it is defective hardware they should take care of it. At least investigate it.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Putting your fault on forums to make a point or to make an evidence is not going to help. Sorry to say that :)
I'm not saying it is going to help, but it might make other users aware of a potential problem. Besides, this forum is full of people posting issues with their phones, so I don't know what your problem is....(try the "Galaxy S7 Edge - early issues thread")

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure why people believe that this couldn't be true. I've seen reports of phones just bursting into flame. Not sure why the screen cracking is so unbelievable. It does suck that you can't get a repair from Samsung. If it's not your fault and it is defective hardware they should take care of it. At least investigate it.
I don't think anyone is saying that breaking due to temperature fluctuations is impossible. They're saying the two photos in this thread clearly show stress sites that appear to be from an impact.

It's fine to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but the evidence here seems to (IMO) line up with exactly what Samsung said. This is a repair/insurance issue, not warranty or defect unless it was damaged like this when the box was opened or the account of spontaneous damage can be supported by evidence, such as photos showing breakage without impact point(s).

The OP's revised story that it was in a case supports the drop theory even more because it explains how the back of the device wasn't damaged during the drop - which was the most curious part.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I don't think anyone is saying that breaking due to temperature fluctuations is impossible. They're saying the two photos in this thread clearly show stress sites that appear to be from an impact.

It's fine to give someone the benefit of the doubt, but the evidence here seems to (IMO) line up with exactly what Samsung said. This is a repair/insurance issue, not warranty or defect unless it was damaged like this when the box was opened or the account of spontaneous damage can be supported by evidence, such as photos showing breakage without impact point(s).

The OP's revised story that it was in a case supports the drop theory even more because it explains how the back of the device wasn't damaged during the drop - which was the most curious part.

The drop theory????? I was there.....it was NEVER dropped!!!!! I've treated the thing with kid gloves ever since I got it....why should I pay for a repair or insurance deductible when there is a fault with the phone? And I suppose all these people are lying through their teeth when they experienced similar problems with the S6 http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-s6-edge-screen-spontaneously-cracked-4.html

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The drop theory????? I was there.....it was NEVER dropped!!!!! I've treated the thing with kid gloves ever since I got it....why should I pay for a repair or insurance deductible when there is a fault with the phone? And I suppose all these people are lying through their teeth when they experienced similar problems with the S6 http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-s6-edge-screen-spontaneously-cracked-4.html
Well you're the only one with a photo in that thread, many of them are talking about different phones and in some cases years ago, those that remain many are talking about cold weather damage occurring in their pocket, etc. Almost no one is talking about magic damage, they're describing what happens to glass with extreme cold + friction. But again, there's no evidence of a damage fairy visiting random people and destroying their phones without any other factors contributing to damage. Those other factors are what matters - and specifically the evidence of those factors, not a person who has a vested interest in the damage not being attributable to those factors denying those factors in spite of the evidence. Please stop taking this as an attack on you, it was clearly commentary on the photos and it's much more preferable to assume confusion and try to help explain things and look for solutions than to have accusations of lying, etc. flying around.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I quote....."The same thing just happened to me as well. I am in Orlando Florida, so the cold weather was not a factor, but I just picked up my S6 edge phone from the "fast charger" and the charger plug itself was unusually hot. There is a tiny crack from the top left corner to the bottom left corner on the front of the screen, and like everyone else here the phone hasn't fallen or been dropped. It is and has been in an otter box case since the minute it came out of the box. I found this forum, I'm glad to see I am not alone but I am very worried what they will say or how much they will try to charge me for repairs on something I simply did not cause."

The point is gorilla glass can be susceptible to temperature changes, be it external temperature, or overheating in the unit. But as a Samsung apologist, the instances of this don't really count because they don't fit your argument. I know exactly what happened to my phone, you don't. And that's the reason I'm digging my heels in on this. It would be much easier to file an insurance claim, and if I'd dropped it, I would do that. But I didn't drop it, there is a fault in the handset. When you rule out the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Summary of a theory is a hypothesis that's supported by and explains all known evidence.

Glass CAN break without impact, it just requires stress. So things that can cause stress... Impact, bending, friction, scratches, extremely cold temperatures (especially sudden changes), vibration, etc. Without one of those sorts of things, or factors, glass will remain unbroken.

So what's the most logical factor contributing to breakage, as depicted in the photos? That's what the comments are about, trying to figure it out. Because we definitely can't make suggestions to users about how to ward off magic. But if there's a factor, then the mitigation/avoidance strategy would be to avoid that factor. And when the worst happens and the factor wins, then a suggestion can be made on a way to get it fixed or replaced, which, given the presence of a factor, would mean purchasing repairs or utilizing insurance.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I quote....."The same thing just happened to me as well. I am in Orlando Florida, so the cold weather was not a factor, but I just picked up my S6 edge phone from the "fast charger" and the charger plug itself was unusually hot. There is a tiny crack from the top left corner to the bottom left corner on the front of the screen, and like everyone else here the phone hasn't fallen or been dropped. It is and has been in an otter box case since the minute it came out of the box. I found this forum, I'm glad to see I am not alone but I am very worried what they will say or how much they will try to charge me for repairs on something I simply did not cause."
So you have evidence that there was nothing but magic that caused a tiny crack? And you realize you dont have a tiny crack, right? (You have a shatter point with predictable radiating damage in your photos). I'm unclear on why it is so important to continue to make this assertion. If we're all wrong, prove it to Samsung and have them replace it. If you want sympathy, I'm sorry your new phone is destroyed. That really sucks. But please don't treat the community for fools.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

The point is gorilla glass can be susceptible to temperature changes, be it external temperature, or overheating in the unit. But as a Samsung apologist, the instances of this don't really count because they don't fit your argument. I know exactly what happened to my phone, you don't. And that's the reason I'm digging my heels in on this. It would be much easier to file an insurance claim, and if I'd dropped it, I would do that. But I didn't drop it, there is a fault in the handset. When you rule out the impossible, what remains, however improbable, must be the truth....
I'm hardly a Samsung apologist lol, stop making this personal. As soon as you rule something out, please let us know. Then whatever remains can be discussed. but your claim ignores 100% of the evidence so we shall not be taking it on faith. Send it in to Samsung and if they investigate and determine its magic or a fault of the device and not attributable to any external factors, then they can replace it instead of repairing it.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Summary of a theory is a hypothesis that's supported by and explains all known evidence.

Glass CAN break without impact, it just requires stress. So things that can cause stress... Impact, bending, friction, scratches, extremely cold temperatures (especially sudden changes), vibration, etc. Without one of those sorts of things, or factors, glass will remain unbroken.

So what's the most logical factor contributing to breakage, as depicted in the photos? That's what the comments are about, trying to figure it out. Because we definitely can't make suggestions to users about how to ward off magic. But if there's a factor, then the mitigation/avoidance strategy would be to avoid that factor. And when the worst happens and the factor wins, then a suggestion can be made on a way to get it fixed or replaced, which, given the presence of a factor, would mean purchasing repairs or utilizing insurance.

You forgot heat.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech