Screen Cracking / Overheat

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm hardly a Samsung apologist lol, stop making this personal. As soon as you rule something out, please let us know. Then whatever remains can be discussed. but your claim ignores 100% of the evidence so we shall not be taking it on faith. Send it in to Samsung and if they investigate and determine its magic or a fault of the device and not attributable to any external factors, then they can replace it instead of repairing it.

I am sending it to Samsung; the phone overheated, the glass cracked, and the cracking has since expanded. The fact is you're dead wrong, and don't have the good grace to admit there's a possibility I'm telling the truth. But in the meantime, you're calling me a liar, anyone else who says their glass shattered under similar circumstances a liar, and that we're insulting "the community" by making such outrageous claims based on damage that happened by "magic". How condescending, and you accuse me of being personal! Think what you like, it makes no difference to me, and no-one but yourself appinted yourself judge and jury. My motive in posting this was to raise awareness of an issue....that's all. If that's what you regard as treating the community "like fools", fine, but I make no apologies for it. We'll see in six months time how many more S7 Edge users have experienced the "magic".

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The drop theory????? I was there.....it was NEVER dropped!!!!! I've treated the thing with kid gloves ever since I got it....why should I pay for a repair or insurance deductible when there is a fault with the phone? And I suppose all these people are lying through their teeth when they experienced similar problems with the S6 http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...y-s6-edge-screen-spontaneously-cracked-4.html
Well if you are 100% sure, then go through the arbitration process which you agreed to in the setup process. If the arbiter agrees with your assessment that it was a manufacturers defect then you would get it replaced under warranty. Honestly, Samsung might even replace it before then as it would probably cost more for Samsung to arbitrate than just replace your device.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am sending it to Samsung; the phone overheated, the glass cracked, and the cracking has since expanded. The fact is you're dead wrong, and don't have the good grace to admit there's a possibility I'm telling the truth. But in the meantime, you're calling me a liar, anyone else who says their glass shattered under similar circumstances a liar, and that we're insulting "the community" by making such outrageous claims based on damage that happened by "magic". How condescending, and you accuse me of being personal! Think what you like, it makes no difference to me, and no-one but yourself appinted yourself judge and jury. My motive in posting this was to raise awareness of an issue....that's all. If that's what you regard as treating the community "like fools", fine, but I make no apologies for it. We'll see in six months time how many more S7 Edge users have experienced the "magic".
Let us know what Samsung says.

Anything is possible... But there are things likely and unlikely, and this is certainly the latter.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Send me a private message if you want to continue that conversation. Otherwise, let's just agree to disagree and I'll wish you the best of luck getting it resolved.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Send me a private message if you want to continue that conversation. Otherwise, let's just agree to disagree and I'll wish you the best of luck getting it resolved.

Fair enough...my apologies for coming on a bit strong, but I'm very cross about this, and I am telling the truth. Yes, I agree it is very unlikely, but it did happen. Anyway, my apologies again....will let the board know how Samsung handles this....

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
@Calgas my apologies for unapproving your post, I was using tapatalk and was trying to get a link to the post and hit the wrong button.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure it really was the heat that caused it to crack?

It should be resistant to heat. In fact, my toaster of an LG G4 gets really hot on the display after just a few minutes of use (like, hot enough to make it uncomfortable to tap) and it hasn't cracked. Well, not yet.

The phone is about to be replaced soon with the upcoming Note 6 or S7 Edge depending on how the situation fares.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough...my apologies for coming on a bit strong, but I'm very cross about this, and I am telling the truth. Yes, I agree it is very unlikely, but it did happen. Anyway, my apologies again....will let the board know how Samsung handles this....

Hopefully they will agree with you and replace the device. I guess they will be able to determine if they believe that is an impact point or not.

galaxyfive

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
It's likely that Samsung [if they choose to look at it] can pull logs and get a reasonable history from various sensors in the device. It's really in Samsung's best interest to try and replicate this issue to eliminate the possibility of a public safety hazard. For the same reason it's the OP's responsibility to be assertive with Samsung.

We should be grateful to the OP for bringing this issue forward.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
It doesn't really do any good to argue with the OP about what happened. He, and he alone, knows what happened. While I doubt this was caused by heat, I have seen other instances of spontaneous screen cracking. Not every piece of glass is 100% perfectly manufactured. A bit of a weak spot, combined with some external stress, and the glass can crack for no apparent reason. It's rare, but it happens.

OP, is there any insurance plan you can sign up for in the UK that might cover this?

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
As I said, nobody dropped it. It was on a wireless charger all night, in a case, on my bedside table. This happened a couple of days ago, so the cracking has expanded. What possible good would it do me to post this on a forum?? I don't care if you believe it or not, this did happen. Personally I think it was a flaw in the gorilla glass that cracked because of the change of temperature....

Why would you wait days to take a picture of the crack and not report it ASAP?

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't really do any good to argue with the OP about what happened. He, and he alone, knows what happened. While I doubt this was caused by heat, I have seen other instances of spontaneous screen cracking. Not every piece of glass is 100% perfectly manufactured. A bit of a weak spot, combined with some external stress, and the glass can crack for no apparent reason. It's rare, but it happens.

OP, is there any insurance plan you can sign up for in the UK that might cover this?

I have an insurance plan, and it would be easier to claim on it, but I don't see why I should pay the massive deductible for something that wasn't my fault; it's a matter of principle. You're right, it is rare but it does happen. And for the final time, everyone, it was never dropped; just left on charge. All I wanted to do was raise the issue in case anyone else suffers this and has to go to Samsung. At least there will be a precident....

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Looks like impact damage.... Someone else might have dropped it and not mentioned they did... I would be super pissed!!!

Nope, bedside table, put it on charge, went to sleep, woke up, still on the charger but it was cracked. But yes, I am super pissed.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Still doesn't add up - heat alone does not cause glass to crack. Glass will crack for only a number of things - Impact, rapid temperature changes, or stress.

Let's say your battery was faulty and expanded during charging, causing it to put pressure on the glass sides. You'd probably have a crack on the back panel, or at the very least on the other side of the phone, as the battery is behind the app switcher icon side. So that's out.

Then you look at rapid temperature changes - sure, your wireless charger could have caused the phone to heat up to a very high temperature, but you would have to pretty much dunk the phone in cold water to make it crack the glass, and that's standard glass - not chemically changed glass like gorilla glass.

3rd option leaves impact. As many have said, it looks like the phone was impacted. Do you wear jewelry of any sort? Rings, bracelets, watches, etc...You could easily have flailed an arm during sleep which caused the impact to the screen.

Not trying to make you sound like a liar, but you're going to be very hard pressed for someone to believe that the glass just "cracked" like that, as it's a relative impossibility.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Still doesn't add up - heat alone does not cause glass to crack. Glass will crack for only a number of things - Impact, rapid temperature changes, or stress.

Or an imperfection in the glass, exacerbated by heating and cooling over the period I've owned the phone, or are you saying that all gorilla glass is perfectly manufactured without exception? If you'd care to search the Internet, there's numerous examples of gorilla glass cracking without impact. Anyway, it's in Samsung's hands now.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So you admit it's possible then....

There is, of course, a possibility of that kind of damage occurring without anything like a drop or impact. But it is highly unlikely given the nature of the damage and its location. Your problem is that you are going to be working against a corporation that really has no reason to believe you, not even in the slightest... they get warranty claims by the thousands and a bunch of from people tho practically threw their phones into wood chippers and claim that nothing ever happened. They've heard the "I know this looks like I dropped it, but I didn't" story too many times to count.

Sorry to say but I can't see this turning in your favor... everything is working against you here. I'm not sure if it comes across as such, but we here are all on YOUR side... We don't work for Samsung (or at least I don't think anyone here does). We have no financial interest in denying your claim and forcing you to deal with it out of warranty. These things break far too easily and it seems that, for whatever reason, the S7 might be even more brittle than the average phone. But on the other hand, if you just showed me pictures of that phone and the damage, my educated guess would stamp "impact/fall damage, deny warranty claim" on it. I know that's not what you want to hear, of course. But that's the reality of the situation.

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Or an imperfection in the glass, exacerbated by heating and cooling over the period I've owned the phone.

I have 3 of these phones currently and had another at one point, none of them get hot enough to cause damage to the screen. That's a drop and the reason it's clean is from a case taking the main pressure of the fall.

You're wasting your time if you think Samsung will fix it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01