Screen Cracking / Overheat

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
I have 3 of these phones currently and had another at one point, none of them get hot enough to cause damage to the screen. That's a drop and the reason it's clean is from a case taking the main pressure of the fall.

You're wasting your time if you think Samsung will fix it.

So because it's never happened to you and your four phones, then it's not possible for it to happen to anyone else at anytime, ever? Genius....

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
There is, of course, a possibility of that kind of damage occurring without anything like a drop or impact. But it is highly unlikely given the nature of the damage and its location. Your problem is that you are going to be working against a corporation that really has no reason to believe you, not even in the slightest... they get warranty claims by the thousands and a bunch of from people tho practically threw their phones into wood chippers and claim that nothing ever happened. They've heard the "I know this looks like I dropped it, but I didn't" story too many times to count.

Sorry to say but I can't see this turning in your favor... everything is working against you here. I'm not sure if it comes across as such, but we here are all on YOUR side... We don't work for Samsung (or at least I don't think anyone here does). We have no financial interest in denying your claim and forcing you to deal with it out of warranty. These things break far too easily and it seems that, for whatever reason, the S7 might be even more brittle than the average phone. But on the other hand, if you just showed me pictures of that phone and the damage, my educated guess would stamp "impact/fall damage, deny warranty claim" on it. I know that's not what you want to hear, of course. But that's the reality of the situation.

You know what, you're probably right and Samsung will probably tell me to get stuffed. But I know what happened. I know the phone was never impacted. I have absolutely no motive to come on to a forum and lie about it. it's probably very rare, but it can happen and it did happen. It's happened to a lot of S6 Edge owners. What I don't like is people telling me that I'm lying. As I said, all I want to do is raise awareness in case it happens to anyone else, especially if that person is conscious about being branded a liar by all these so called experts who are soooooo definite they know what happened, and claim to know that person's actions better than they do.....

Daliso8o8

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site
I hope more and more people share so that they come together eventually and force Samsung to admit there is an issue with their manufacturing process or a serious flaw in the design.... Unlikely though...

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Mass produced devices built from mass produced parts. I can see this happening from having a piece of front glass that's a few mils larger than the spec, being placed into an aluminum frame a few mils smaller than the spec, and then getting the phone hot enough to force the glass to expand.

If I were a Samsung tech, i'd inspect the aluminum at the corner, and of there are no signs of damage to the frame itself, I'd replace it free of charge.

My biggest concern is why it would get so hot to start with. OP — put it back on the same charger for a while, and see if the crack gets bigger or if the back glass gets uncomfortably warm.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Here's another point.... brand new phone, there are some companies that would just replace it. I'm pretty sure Moto does that and that the Nexus Protect thing does that too.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Mass produced devices built from mass produced parts. I can see this happening from having a piece of front glass that's a few mils larger than the spec, being placed into an aluminum frame a few mils smaller than the spec, and then getting the phone hot enough to force the glass to expand.

If I were a Samsung tech, i'd inspect the aluminum at the corner, and of there are no signs of damage to the frame itself, I'd replace it free of charge.

My biggest concern is why it would get so hot to start with. OP — put it back on the same charger for a while, and see if the crack gets bigger or if the back glass gets uncomfortably warm.

Already thought of that Jerry. Crack got bigger, phone very hot....The aluminium is flawless. The more I search the Internet, the more examples I'm finding of this.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Here's another point.... brand new phone, there are some companies that would just replace it. I'm pretty sure Moto does that and that the Nexus Protect thing does that too.

I'm with Three Network here in the UK, Assassin. No replacements. If you haven't bought their ridiculously priced insurance policy, they just direct you to Samsung. I have an insurance policy with ProtectMyBubble, but I'm digging my heels in for principle, because i'm stubborn, and to at least raise the issue with Samsung for whatever good it does (if any).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm with Three Network here in the UK, Assassin. No replacements. If you haven't bought their ridiculously priced insurance policy, they just direct you to Samsung. I have an insurance policy with ProtectMyBubble, but I'm digging my heels in for principle, because i'm stubborn, and to at least raise the issue with Samsung for whatever good it does (if any).

Yeah, my personal opinion is that Samsung should just handle it, regardless of whether or not it was defect or not. Like HTC, Moto and Google will do (limitations apply, etc). Like a "one freebie per customer, then we go through the run around process" sort of thing.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Already thought of that Jerry. Crack got bigger, phone very hot....The aluminium is flawless. The more I search the Internet, the more examples I'm finding of this.

If very hot = hot enough to expand the battery, I think we have an answer. Circuit boards flex more than glass.

The problem is getting anyone with the authority to replace the phone to see it the same way. Good luck :)

20degrees

Banned
Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
So because it's never happened to you and your four phones, then it's not possible for it to happen to anyone else at anytime, ever? Genius....

Because that's damage from a drop. The battery isn't even close enough to get that area hot enough to break it. The heat pipe in these phones make the phone only warm, never hot. You ain't fooling anybody but yourself.

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm sure it can happen...

Back when I had a Nexus 4 I left it charging in my office, on the desk. I woke up in the morning picked it up and the glass back had cracked. It seemed to originate around the camera module but there was nothing else which could have caused it (only me and my wife at home).

Again, no one believed me (and I haven't been on XDA since because there were some right [removed by mod] about on there) including O2 UK where the phone was bought.

My best guess was heat causing the break since there are a lot of different materials in the phone with different expansion coefficients...

Anyway, I feel your pain and hope you get sorted.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Mod note: let's stop splitting hairs on whether the phone was dropped. It's not very productive.

Thread subscribed.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't doubt for one minute that it wasn't dropped Before I got my S6 Edge I read of many instances of glass cracking for no apparent reason. Some attributed it to extra heat using fast charge. I'm totally convinced some devices under certain conditions are affected

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Whether the phone spontaneously cracked or a burger broke in and knocked it off the stand before tenderly replacing it, why is Samsung wrapping our 800$ pocket computers in glass?! If you took an s7 edge back in time 100 years it would amaze every yokel you met, until you dropped it. Then even a medieval serf would ask why the deuce you wrapped something so wonderful and magical in glass! "I want to say one word to you, just one word: plastics."

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Whether the phone spontaneously cracked or a burger broke in and knocked it off the stand before tenderly replacing it, why is Samsung wrapping our 800$ pocket computers in glass?! If you took an s7 edge back in time 100 years it would amaze every yokel you met, until you dropped it. Then even a medieval serf would ask why the deuce you wrapped something so wonderful and magical in glass! "I want to say one word to you, just one word: plastics."

You want plastic screens also?

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac