Screen Cracking / Overheat

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
That is NOT heat damage from overcharging. If it was, the op's house would have been burnt down. Because Gorilla Glass is able to withstand extreme temperatures of heat! like 500°F before it begins to soften! At those temps, that device would become a charred blob of goo. Phone was dropped. Suck it up, pay for the new screen.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Was the phone dropped or screen scratched at a time before the break? Tempered glass can spontaneously break.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The thread has been re-opened. Please ensure to embrace the spirit of "P.U.P.P.A.H" when posting.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
The other factor too is this phone is water submersible and therefore a completely sealed chamber/device. I was watching jerryrigeverything and Max Lee do their tear-down reviews on this phone and I don't think there is anything in the phone that alleviates pressure (or vacuum) fluctuations on the device. If there is, neither of them pointed it out. So by that, atmospheric pressure changes, altitude changes as well as temperature fluctuations can place a unique set of pre-load and stress conditions on the S7 glass. IMHO because this handset is water submersible "typical" failure modes may not apply. IE its not an apples/apples comparison.

As far as repair goes... I speculate thats going to be tough. Most of it is glued together, or adhered together with rubber-adhesive gaskets. I don't think there's any way to replace those seals and gaskets without destroying them. If you do manage to get it back together (or find a repair technician who does), water resistance would be questionable.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I think people need to keep this in mind..

Never trust anything.. The water resistant works great for some people and as other threads show it fails for others. The screen and phone are suppose to be strong but again there are going to be failures. for $800 bucks i was expecting better quality but I learned the hard way. I had my s7 edge for 2 weeks and on the first day of vacation it dropped out of my pocket WITH a case. 3 1/2 foot drop and landed right on the bend on the screen and cracked like cheap glass. Now I too have to have fun with samsung. I dont expect them to do it for free but hopefully will not charge me an arm and a leg. My note 4 and other phone have handle drops like that and more without an issue. This phone has a great camera which was why I bought it, but after my issues and reading about s6 edge people with issues I dont think I will buy anther edge. Should have waited for the note 6 flat screen

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey we all make mistakes and even without realizing. It's not impossible that heat caused the cracking of the screen, but it is much more likely that some type of physical stress caused this to happen, even if the cracks did not happen right away. Perhaps if OP yells loudly enough he will get a replacement. But I think that is unlikely as well.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
So, quick update for those who care.....Been on the phone to Samsung and Three Network for hours. Samsung: it's booked in for a repair, but it's already marked as "physical damage" and that I have to pay for repairs. They haven't even looked at it yet. I tried to get Three onside to see if they can help. Argued with a customer service rep for 30 mins, whose argument was based on "well I've never experienced that, therefore it's impossible, you must have dropped it". Sound familiar? Finally got escalated to a customer service manager who phoned Samsung while I waited, and he explained the overheating / cracking issue. Samsung said that if they found "scorching, smoke or burn marks" they may take that into consideration! They also said that if I'd returned the phone for overheating, there would have been a better chance of it being under warranty, but hypothetically, if the overheating caused cracking, it's automatically categorised as physical damage, so warranty void. Yes, I'm confused too.

So, Samsung have obviously made up their minds and have no intention of examining the phone, but I'll send it anyway to see what happens. Three gave me 50% off my monthly bill for three months which was nice.

Now let me make this clear, I could pay my 25 quid deductible and get a replacement phone, but I feel Samsung have a genuine problem here and need to address it, or at least acknowledge it. I didn't have to stick my head above the parapet and cop all this abuse but I wanted to raise awareness. If I'd have dropped it, it's my bad and I go to insurance. But I didn't drop it. From reading countless Internet posts, this phone (and the S6 Edge) seems awfully fragile and prone to glass failure for whatever reason. Some phones are reportedly getting very hot under charging, and too many have glass that shatters far too easily for such an expensive device.

So there you go, I'll probably end up going on my insurance, but at least it's out there. Maybe Samsung will do the right thing. Maybe Bristol Rovers will win the Champions League. God I miss my HTC One....

Rygots

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Will they examine the phone before trying to fix it and charge you? I would be worried that I would be on the hook for repair costs after sending it in.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Occum's Razor

The simplest explanation looking at the only evidence we have is that it was dropped at some point which triggered the current condition.

That certainly doesn't mean Samsung shouldn't take it and review the unit though. There are plenty less likely possibilities. The problem is it will be an uphill fight, especially with that break patter in the glass.

These phones are designed with some fairly crazy heat tolerances. Have you ever tried running something like setiathome on the phone with all the cores or in a VR system for a extended time. I tried setiathome on my note 3 with all 4 cores running 4 separate jobs. The damn thing got so hot I almost burned myself. I just unplugged the phone and let it cool down. Then immediately uninstalled the app. Using qi charging on it with a qi reciever was a little better. But very warm. So far this S7edge hasn't gotten anywhere close to the same thermals even with qi charging on the tylt Vue I have or with rapid charging.

Hopefully samsung sees past the quick answer and takes the time to get to the root cause. Good luck OP

Posted via the Android Central App

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Will they examine the phone before trying to fix it and charge you? I would be worried that I would be on the hook for repair costs after sending it in.
That's what I'm worried about....if they take it apart, various break down tests have shown it's very hard to put it back together again...

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
What charger were you using. By chance was it not the included charger from samsung.

Posted via the Android Central App

It was a genuine samsung wireless charger...bought directly from Samsung; had heard about a lot of Chinese knock-offs on Amazon....

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Good for you, but based on your conversation with them, sounds like you have zero chance. I would just go insurance and be done with it, you may never get your phone back otherwise.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Now let me make this clear, I could pay my 25 quid deductible and get a replacement phone

!

25 ($36US to those here in the States).... wow... Most of the insurance plan deductibles (typically via the carrier of origin) on this side of the pond are £120-£140, with premiums .... £5+ a month. Are your monthly premiums high? Sorry to side track...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan