Screen Cracking / Overheat

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
!

25 ($36US to those here in the States).... wow... Most of the insurance plan deductibles (typically via the carrier of origin) on this side of the pond are £120-£140, with premiums .... £5+ a month. Are your monthly premiums high? Sorry to side track...

Agreed here. That is super cheap. Usually deductibles for us are pretty hardcore.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
!

25 ($36US to those here in the States).... wow... Most of the insurance plan deductibles (typically via the carrier of origin) on this side of the pond are £120-£140, with premiums .... £5+ a month. Are your monthly premiums high? Sorry to side track...

It's an add on with my bank account....£9.50 per month for my phone and tablet....

Agreed here. That is super cheap. Usually deductibles for us are pretty hardcore.

Yup, think you're all right. I've thrown my eggs at Samsungs house, and anything more would be counter productive. BTW, if i'd have gone with the insurance from my carrier (Three), it would have been 12.50 per month and 100 deductible...

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I am curious why charging terminated at 66%? I wonder if the Lithium battery vented, triggering the charge to terminate early and in doing so also pressurized the phone placing stress on the glass?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow, 25 quid deductible? My carrier insurance wants a $150 (104 quid) deductible for a phone that retails for $108. A s7 would be substantially higher.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Wait, we're 5 pages in and this is over something that's less than $40? @calgas situation still sucks, but I think the answer is pretty obvious there. Working phone replacement for less than 5% of the price of the phone is a no brainer.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Wait, we're 5 pages in and this is over something that's less than $40? @calgas situation still sucks, but I think the answer is pretty obvious there. Working phone replacement for less than 5% of the price of the phone is a no brainer.

Isn't it more responsible to raise the issue in case it happens to someone else? Yes, much easier to pay the deductible, but that's not the point...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Isn't it more responsible to raise the issue in case it happens to someone else? Yes, much easier to pay the deductible, but that's not the point...

Well there are two issues. 1. Screens break, advising people to be careful and sharing your experience 2. Getting a working phone. The ideal solution addresses both, otherwise you have to choose which problem you're going to prioritize over the other.

calgas

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Well there are two issues. 1. Screens break, advising people to be careful and sharing your experience 2. Getting a working phone. The ideal solution addresses both, otherwise you have to choose which problem you're going to prioritize over the other.

I have been doing both. I've raised the issue, while simultaneosuly badgering Samsung and Three to the point that anything more would be futile because they're obviously not going to budge. I don't want to claim on insurance for a faulty product, but I've realised today that I probably don't have a choice. The deductible could have been 10p and I'd have done the same thing; it doesn't change the principle. Samsung get away with murder and the shoddiest of customer support...

Forgewizard

May 20, 2012
Visit site
@kramer5150 ; the S7 is not watertight. It is not a sealed submersible device. it is treated with a water repellent chemical that does not interfere with the circuitry.

bable

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
You want plastic screens also?

Posted via the Android Central App

Someday, if we can push plastics far enough that they're as clear as glass but for now I'd settle with 5 resilient sides with a pretty fragile side. A tough core with a glass case seems more logical than a glitzy core that requires a tough case.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
DT2 has a good idea... Build phones with replaceable glass screens. Many of us throw tempered glass screen protectors on our phones... Countersink them into the frame. Might not be as fancy as the bonded displays we have now, but if rather have a new screen a quick $15 swap away.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
@kramer5150 ; the S7 is not watertight. It is not a sealed submersible device. it is treated with a water repellent chemical that does not interfere with the circuitry.

Aah ok then... Still though there is quite a bit of adhesive and double sided tape holding everything together.

dryja123

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
OP, terribly sorry to see / hear about your cracked screen. Looking at things objectively, to my eye it looks like something made impact with your phone. It may have not necessarily been a drop but perhaps something dropped onto it.

I've had glass tea mugs explode on me after drinking a hot cup of tea and foolishly running it under cold water. You're talking about a rapid change in temperature which would cause rapid expanding and contracting. That phone would have had to been at a very cool temperature and then quickly heated up in order to shatter.

I'm sorry but I have a hard time believing the heat theory. My car windows get hot and cold with ac / heat. Water application screen protectors recommend using a hair dryer to get the bubbles out. Screen replacements sometimes call for heat guns to loosen adhesive behind the digitizer.

Once again, your phone must have been in the freezer and then thrown in the oven for it to rapidly expand fast enough for that break.

I wish you the best of luck.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have been doing both. I've raised the issue, while simultaneosuly badgering Samsung and Three to the point that anything more would be futile because they're obviously not going to budge. I don't want to claim on insurance for a faulty product, but I've realised today that I probably don't have a choice. The deductible could have been 10p and I'd have done the same thing; it doesn't change the principle. Samsung get away with murder and the shoddiest of customer support...
Have you gone through arbitration or small claims with both Samsung and 3? Not sure the rules in the UK but in the usa, Samsung will pay for the arbitration costs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463