Smart Lock not working?

hesketh7085

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I've searched around the internet but found no fixes, only one person saying the feature has always been temperamental...

Smart Lock is not working as intended on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - in fact, it's not working at all. I think it worked once or twice when I first found the setting yesterday when going through my device settings, but nothing since then.

It is set up to not require a secure login when near to my FitBit Surge smartwatch which is always on my arm. It's set up not to require a secure login when within a certain radius of my house (I've checked the GPS and it thinks it's in the right place). It's also set up not to require a secure login whenit recognises that it's me holding it.

Despite Location Services (and the accuracy boost setting) and Bluetooth being on, it's still requiring either my PIN or fingerprint to log in when it's held in the hand that I wear my FitBit on, inside my house, and in my hand.

Restarting it / turning the services off/on again haven't helped. I'm not willing to factory wipe it or send for a new one - both are a tad drastic, I feel.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you.

wisewhisk

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I've searched around the internet but found no fixes, only one person saying the feature has always been temperamental...

Smart Lock is not working as intended on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge - in fact, it's not working at all. I think it worked once or twice when I first found the setting yesterday when going through my device settings, but nothing since then.

It is set up to not require a secure login when near to my FitBit Surge smartwatch which is always on my arm. It's set up not to require a secure login when within a certain radius of my house (I've checked the GPS and it thinks it's in the right place). It's also set up not to require a secure login whenit recognises that it's me holding it.

Despite Location Services (and the accuracy boost setting) and Bluetooth being on, it's still requiring either my PIN or fingerprint to log in when it's held in the hand that I wear my FitBit on, inside my house, and in my hand.

Restarting it / turning the services off/on again haven't helped. I'm not willing to factory wipe it or send for a new one - both are a tad drastic, I feel.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you.

I was having issues in and out with Smart Lock when connected via Bluetooth in my car or wireless speaker at home. The issue resolved after I disabled AcDisplay. If you have any app that might interfere with the lock screen, try disabling it.

I think also there were previous discussions that when you swipe to unlock, not to swipe starting from the lock icon. That actually will lock the device. So just choose a random place on the screen and swipe up.

Lastly, I have a Fitbit HR and while I don't have that set up with Smart Lock, I don't think it's continuously connected to your phone. I think it intermittently connects to check for notifications, sync, etc. That might make the Smart Lock go in and out. Might be different for the Surge.

Hope this helps. I read your post and tried to make sure to respond after I figured out my own issues.

Adam Kornegay

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I was having a lot of issues as well but found my issue was related to an app called "Screen Notifications" which turns the screen on when you get a notification.

There's an option with it to make it an administrator so you can have the screen shut off in a custom amount of time. When that was enabled, it was locking the phone when it shut off. When it's locked in that way, Smart Lock won't unlock it even if you are in the right location, connected, etc.

Similarly, Nova Launcher has a gesture where you can lock the screen. If I use that gesture, it stays locked unless I use my fingerprint.

So if you have an app or other function that's locking your screen, Smart Lock won't override it.

My suggestion is to go into your settings and search for Administrators and see what you have enabled there. Try shutting them off and see if it fixes the problem.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Smartlock worked on other devices fine for me, like the LG V10, but not so much with the S7 Edge. but the fingerprint is so fast, I dont really mind it

Monee_121

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
I recently started having issues at home. It randomly decides to have my correct location on the map. When I open the Smart Lock settings and edit my address, the blue dot is always a block over from where I am, but will gradually move back to the right place. I also have all the options to enhance location services but it still goes out. Thankfully the fingerprint is fast but it's still annoying that it doesn't work as designed. I wish I could slightly increase the radius, then it would be fine.

Posted via AC App from my Galaxy S7 Edge

hesketh7085

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
I think this may have been a false alarm.

When I press the power button to turn the screen on, it doesn't say "Enter fingerprint/pin to unlock phone", it just says "swipe the screen to unlock" which can be done anywhere.

When I turn location and bluetooth off (effectively turning off Smart Lock), it immediately says I need to insert my fingerprint or PIN in order to unlock the phone, so I'm pretty sure it's working as intended.

Jeff Kang

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I think this may have been a false alarm.

When I press the power button to turn the screen on, it doesn't say "Enter fingerprint/pin to unlock phone", it just says "swipe the screen to unlock" which can be done anywhere.

When I turn location and bluetooth off (effectively turning off Smart Lock), it immediately says I need to insert my fingerprint or PIN in order to unlock the phone, so I'm pretty sure it's working as intended.

Thanks for the info.
I also thought Smart Lock wasn't working.
When I press the power button, then wake up, I can get back in with a swipe.

I use the Screen Off app:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...om.katecca.screenofflock&hl=en&token=iV-85CUi

You have to use a PIN upon wake up (with just their Screen Off shortcut, and not their Screen Off and Lock shortcut).

The Screen Off FX app is the only app that seems to work with Smart Lock.
Although, Screen Off FX only blacks the screen, and doesn’t shut if off.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...p.co.kixx.tool.offwidget&hl=en&token=MWqcZ5Kg

Edit: Lukas Maximiliano
>You just can use gravityBox actions to set a screen off shortcut or gesture (i.e with nova launcher gestures).
It works perfectly with smart lock. Now I had set an action to turn off the screen swiping up my nova launcher home.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ock-working-how-can-i-get-working-should.html

>Javier P
Instead of using an app you could set the screen timeout to be 15 or 30 seconds. It's not the best solution but, as I said, I think there's no app to do what you want.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ock-working-how-can-i-get-working-should.html

Last edited:

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
If you don't use your phone for four hours, it locks even if you're in a safe location defined in Smart Lock. You also have to use your PIN (not fingerprint) every time the phone restarts.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I seem to be having a similar problem w/ my Sprint S7 Edge. I have a BT headset defined as a trusted device, but the phone still locks after the screen timeout after a few minutes. The fingerprint reader is quick, but I'm on my motorcycle using the phone as a GPS, so I can't unlock it via fingerprint because of my gloves, and basically want the screen to stay on.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I seem to be having a similar problem w/ my Sprint S7 Edge. I have a BT headset defined as a trusted device, but the phone still locks after the screen timeout after a few minutes. The fingerprint reader is quick, but I'm on my motorcycle using the phone as a GPS, so I can't unlock it via fingerprint because of my gloves, and basically want the screen to stay on.

Doesn't your navigation app have a setting to keep the screen on?

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
If you don't use your phone for four hours, it locks even if you're in a safe location defined in Smart Lock. You also have to use your PIN (not fingerprint) every time the phone restarts.

I have also noticed that after my phone sleeps for 4 hours or more I have to enter my pin regardless. Do you also have a problem with getting email notifications after the phone has been sleeping for this period of time as well?

Abeishter

Jul 25, 2016
Visit site
Your suggestion to swipe up not near the lock area worked well. I tried looking for any apps that were administrators and turned them off (there was only one "android guy") and that didn't work. But knowing that I can unlock easily during smart lock by swiping up definitely helps. Thanks so much

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member