Does anyone find S Health useful?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

It works better in conjunction with the Gear S2. As a standalone with just the phone, the only value I see in it is the ability to keep track of your meals.

That makes some sense, but I'm not going to go spend another $300 on top of the phone to get what a fitbit can give me for a third of the price. Thanks.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That makes some sense, but I'm not going to go spend another $300 on top of the phone to get what a fitbit can give me for a third of the price. Thanks.

But you can't use the fitbit add a stand alone phone and leave your phone at home and still get calls and texts from your phone and reply to those texts. You get so much for for that extra price.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
But you can't use the fitbit add a stand alone phone and leave your phone at home and still get calls and texts from your phone and reply to those texts. You get so much for for that extra price.

True. But I don't really feel the need to leave my phone at home and still get calls and texts.....

Lfsnz67

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I actually like S Health. It accurately measures my walking and offer verbal encouragement and updates through my Samsung Level headphones while I walk. I've never understood the hate for S Health. I like it better than Google Fit...

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I too, HATE S Health! I can not delete it from my Note 2. Well, I can...but it comes right back. That's right--I can uninstall, but it comes back like a zombie. At least on the S7, I can disable it and it stays disabled. Having a Gear 2 is the reason (presumably) that S Health comes back from the dead on my Note 2. Little things like that diminish Samsung in my eyes.

You want good 3D, try an old Viewmaster! :)

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I have never had a Samsung phone before so I am just trying it out. How does it count steps? Does it just detect your leg movement? Is there a way to adjust your stride length so the mileage is accurate?

I don't run much but use an elliptical. Is there a way to track that data by manually entering how far and the time you used the elliptical?

anon(5356006)

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I went for a 1.5 mile walk and it said I walked 4+ miles. I had Google Fit running and it reported around 1.5 miles. Disabled S Health and use Google Fit.

Joe Meinhart

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
i use S Health, and also Noom Walk and Pacer. they each come up with a different number by the end of the day and I average the numbers to determine my step count.

anon(9347632)

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I use it, but mainly for step count. But, this past weekend I went backpacking and took about 30,000 steps one day, and went about 7-8 miles, and it recorded 15 miles, which wasn't even close to what I walked. It's not a big deal, as GPS was off, but it was still off by 7-8 miles. There are some areas that should be improved, but overall it's OK.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I use it all the time. But I pair it with my gear s2 so it's more accurate. If I didn't have the gear watch I would have to get something else because to track just by phone to doesn't seem to be all that accurate.

anon(8734726)

Apr 5, 2014
Visit site
I use it all the time. But I pair it with my gear s2 so it's more accurate. If I didn't have the gear watch I would have to get something else because to track just by phone to doesn't seem to be all that accurate.

Are you talking about the step tracker being accurate with the Gear S2?

Doxboi

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
I have noticed that the phone gives me more accurate steps count than both my Gear S2 and Gear S2 Classic, that's why I have it on the S Health Settings to show the Phone Count instead of the watches.

It seems that the Watch only counts when you move your arms enough for it to count it, while the phone on my pocket or hands seems to recognize the steps better.

This is not totally true, I have noticed while putting my phone down in the truck it counts even bumps in the road as a step.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
If you have a Gear S2 or S3 (or whatever Gear), it's your only option to get a GPS recorded run from your watch to your phone. They used to have Nike+, as well. But Nike came out with an updated app about the same time the new iPhone and Apple Watch were annouced and they're no updated Gear app that works with it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had two phones plus a Gear S watch on me at the same time and all three would display completely different step counts. The difference would easily be as much as 1,000 steps. It didn't matter what phones I had, even if I had my two S7 Edge phones with me, they would always show differences.

There are times when I come home and my Note 4 will show 100 or so steps and it stayed home. I never take that phone with me anymore although I have one of my activated sims in it.

I believe I read somewhere where Samsung said it would never be accurate but a general accounting of steps walked. I too have noticed it will count bumps in the car as steps.

Brinda Sahoo

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
I use SHealth for Step Counting. When I start my exercise(Walking) I made it On. Once I complete my walk I made it off (Pause counting steps) .It gives accurate value when in Pant pocket or holding in hand. If we don't pause the count it calculates steps every where (driving ,shaking ....)

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I disabled it on day 1 as I assumed it would use heaps of battery on me. I might enable it again if I ever buy a Gear.

FarStrider2001

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a used in good condition sm-n920w8 & yeah its step tracking is unbelivable compared to say pokèwalker, n3ds, lumia icon was wondering if snapdragon(sensor engine) based samsung devices have higher accuracy then exynos when it comes to this or did they not bother to add qc's api to s health on those devices

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon