How to ensure Doze stays on???

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
When I turn Doze on, I go to settings, battery, more and select Optimize battery usage. I then select Apps not optimized, select All Apps which then turns all apps to "On". I then hit the arrow to return to battery. I now exit settings. This now should turn Doze on for all apps, correct?

My issue is my battery life is still suspect, so I go back and repeat the above, and when I select Optimize battery usage, all of the apps are turned off.
Is this normal? I would think they would stay in the on position until I make a change to turn them off.

Can someone let me know if I am doing this correctly? Do I have a software issue?

Thanks for your help.

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. I have read his article and use Doze successfully on my Nexus 6P, but the page settings are different on the S7 Edge. I can go back into the 6P and it shows it is still on and..... it works great on the 6P. My issue is that it is not working on the Edge. I lose 15 to 20% over night. So, is it not really on because of me not setting it properly, or do I have a software issue?
thanks

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I have read his article and use Doze successfully on my Nexus 6P, but the page settings are different on the S7 Edge. I can go back into the 6P and it shows it is still on and..... it works great on the 6P. My issue is that it is not working on the Edge. I lose 15 to 20% over night. So, is it not really on because of me not setting it properly, or do I have a software issue?
thanks

If you're losing 15 to 20% overnight then an app is staying awake preventing the phone from going into doze. What do your stats look like?

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
When I turn Doze on, I go to settings, battery, more and select Optimize battery usage. I then select Apps not optimized, select All Apps which then turns all apps to "On". I then hit the arrow to return to battery. I now exit settings. This now should turn Doze on for all apps, correct?

My issue is my battery life is still suspect, so I go back and repeat the above, and when I select Optimize battery usage, all of the apps are turned off.
Is this normal? I would think they would stay in the on position until I make a change to turn them off.

Can someone let me know if I am doing this correctly? Do I have a software issue?

Thanks for your help.

thanks

Doze is not a setting you can turn on or off, the link that it was provided to you will explains perfectly how it works, but in a summary it's a Marshmallow core app or feature. What you are mentioning here is the Battery optimization feature that Samsung incorporated since the S6. When that was added I was the first one to use it and posted here in the forums that it seemed to be working, at least a little, but since our S7/S7 edge has Marshmallow with Doze I think is simply counter productive, I mean, I trust Google to know how to make the phone goes to sleep mode and save battery in the process.

One of the first thing I did when I got my S7 edge was to turn this on, just like it was in my S6, S6 edge and Note 5, but after analyzing it, I decided to turn it off, so far, I can say that my Battery is great, and even when I can't probe scientifically that it's better now with the Battery optimization off, simply because I didn't use it for enough time or wasn't even counting, I can honestly tell you that the constant 7.5 - 8 hours of SoT with my S7 edge and 6.5 - 7 hours of SoT on my S7 are more that what I got when I was using the Samsung's own feature.

Last edited:

Dws51

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for your help. So my issue is that Doze must not be controlling some app. I am going to download Gsam Battery monitor to see if I can ID the app.
I have the same apps on my Nexus 6P, and I can easily get 30 plus hours of use. The S7 Edge is getting about 12, so I need to find out why the big difference. The 6P loses 2-3% overnight, with everything being the same on both phones.
thanks again for the Doze help.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
With doze though you cannot move your phone at all. I found when I had it on my headboard at night to charge the bed movements affected it. Just simple tossing and turning prevented it. When I moved it to my dresser or a side table it was way better!

Posted via the Android Central App

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have posted this before and will do it again, but until proven wrong, I still think that the new Always On Display feature by definition, should interfere with Doze. I know that Samsung should known better than to implement a feature that can interfere with a Core app like Doze, but it wouldn't be the first time.

What I mean by definition is that if you read how Doze works, it basically says that the phone must be in Sleep Mode, without any Sensor activated, so no pockets or wallets, and with the Screen OFF. So, having the AOD feature on, for me, won't allow Doze to activate. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it, anyways, to me, I don't see a benefit to have the AOD on, at night while sleeping will be more annoying than helpful as I need almost a pitch black room to sleep, and I don't see myself just turning it on and off just to see what time is it, I simply don't receive too many calls or messages to be see any benefits, if Samsung adds other notifications later then I may re-consider it.

dustytobes

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
Best way to test is by using Greenify it has a notification option that shows when and how long the doze option kicks in, they also do an experimental doze option that rapidly increases the start of doze. It can also hibernate apps. I've been using Gmail for about a week and when the screens off I loose hardly any battery. I've turned off AOD as it's just a gimmick for the moment until there's 3rd party support. I've seen a slight increase in Doze doing this but then that could be coincidence

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar