Good Lock App By Samsung

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Plusses and minuses, positives and negatives.....

I LOVE the notification handling. So superior to everything else it's not even close. I'd pay plenty for an app that brought these capabilities to my phone.

The fingerprint scanner is WAY faster now. Essentially instantaneous.

I hate the loss of the regular Samsung settings toggles and the ability to customize the toggles that are shown. Standard Android is a giant step backwards here. Fewer toggles, and no choice as to what ones are shown: how can anyone consider that an improvement? Only Googlely fan-boys who think any that comes out of Google is automatically superior.

I've come to like the recent apps screen, although the animation is a bit much. With "stock" Android, you can only fully see the one card at a time, and after a few days the stack of cards is so long it's a nightmare to find anything. It's actually easier to recognize an app icon than the glimpse of a screenshot as you scroll through cards, and I can find what I'm looking for faster with this approach than with cards..

On screen widgets are, yet again, stupidly implemented. Let me put a widget ON THE LOCK SCREEN, not on a hidden screen that I need to scroll to. With a fingerprint scanner it's easier to unlock the phone than to display a hidden lock screen. I'm not using this option at all. (Widget Locker got this right 4 or 5 years ago, but sadly doesn't seem to work on Marshmallow. Why can't Google and Samsung figure this out?)

On screen apps aren't quite as useless. You can swipe on an icon, then use the fingerprint scanner to open it, but it's at least as easy, and probably faster, to just use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the phone. And I'm not sure why a tap on the icon forces you to use a pin, while a swipe lets you use the scanner. Why not default to the scanner on a tap, too? It would be nice if you could open these apps without unlocking the phone, but be locked out of anything BUT that app (sort of like pinning). Again, Widget Locker got this right.

In spite of what some seem to think, the color scheme can be modified, and made pretty neutral and reasonable in settings. I'd like more granular control, but what's there is tolerable. You can also set your own lockscreen wallpaper.

On balance, I like it. It's clearly a work in progress, but notification handling alone is worth it.

Unfortunately, I've had to uninstall it. It's too buggy to be my daily driver. The home button doesn't always work, sometimes requiring two taps, occasionally not working at all. Sometimes tapping on a notification doesn't do anything at all. But when it works, the notification capabilities are brilliant, Brilliant, I say! I'm already missing it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have the S6 and had no problem installing it. However, I'm unable to customize the lock screen from the standpoint of using a picture from my Gallery like I can with the "standard" lock screen. Can the lock screen be customized in this sense?

I set my Lockscreen wallpaper just from the Wallpaper settings, when you open the settings at the top by default it only has Home screen selected, you should change it to Home and Lock or just Lockscreen if that's what you want.

I have Good Lock installed and I did set my Lock Screen Wallpaper just like mentioned above.

qz0xr3

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I set my Lockscreen wallpaper just from the Wallpaper settings, when you open the settings at the top by default it only has Home screen selected, you should change it to Home and Lock or just Lockscreen if that's what you want.

I have Good Lock installed and I did set my Lock Screen Wallpaper just like mentioned above.

Hmm, I thought that's what I had done. I was able to select the picture that had been my lock screen image,. However, when the screen is locked, the default Good Lock image is what shows up. I'll have to give it another try.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I thought that's what I had done. I was able to select the picture that had been my lock screen image,. However, when the screen is locked, the default Good Lock image is what shows up. I'll have to give it another try.

Did you enable the "Enable lock screen wallpaper" option on the app? Open the App from the app drawer and click on Lock Screen, there you can see the option.

bigslam123

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I like it, for the most part. Wish I could change the color of the notification shade. Lavender isn't very manly.

Posted via the Android Central App

msnider23

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Love how it handles notifications, and I really like their different take on the recent apps screen. Really nice after tweaking the color scheme a bit

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
When I went to the samsung app store it said it was already installed on my S7 edge but when I looked for it, I can't find it anywhere.

Posted via Android Central App

Jason Fournier1

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty sure fast wireless charging doesn't work with Good Lock installed. I like everything else about this but this is a show stopper for me. I haven't tried it with the fast wired charger yet.

clintw22

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Well, I uninstalled it because of how buggy it is. About an hour later, I noticed that it had reinstalled itself somehow! 😯

This just happened to me. I installed it and then uninstalled it a couple days ago and just now it installed itself on my phone.... Wth?

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Mine reinstalled itself overnight last night. I realized because the glow from my screen was like the sun at 3 in the morning. Lol.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
They just posted a new version and they took care of most of original people complaints, the only thing missing for me right now is the Quick Connect feature that it seems that the only way to get access to it is via Original Notification shade. If the fix this, for me will be a keeper, for sure, I've been keeping it expecting for an update and now I can say that they are 90% where they should be with this.

In general, a very good update.

Screenshot_20160404-145158.png

Last edited:

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
They just posted a new version and they took care of most of original people complaints, the only thing missing for me right now is the Quick Connect feature that it seems that the only way to get access to it is via Original Notification shade. If the fix this, for me will be a keeper, for sure, I've been keeping it expecting for an update and now I can say that they are 90% where they should be with this.

In general, a very good update.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l123/erasat/Screenshot_20160404-145158.png

Only thing missing for me is the ability to add your own personal lockscreen wallpaper. I haven't received the update yet. Thanks for the heads up.