Here we go again, Stock Keyboard, Swiftkey or...

sales 101

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Have BlackBerry kb, hub, search all installed and running great.
The prediction is great, learns fast and my typing style. Being in sales and taking sales orders nothing is faster and I have used swiftkey.

Had a Priv but hub and notification duplication drove me crazy. Lg V10 little too big and heavy but great phone. So now with all my BlackBerry loaded I think I found just right.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 1192.jpg
    1192.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 289

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I understand this is a totally subjective topic, but...

I've used BlackBerry devices for the last 10 years or so (from before they completely lost control of their market domination). I always loved their physical keyboards, as did virtually all of their users.

When their new BB10 devices came out, I resisted the idea of a virtual keyboard for many reasons. Regardless, I picked up a Z10 the first day it was available on my carrier at the time.

In my opinion, the BlackBerry keyboard is the best virtual keyboard out there, bar none. For someone who swore he'd never switch to a VKB, the BlackBerry implementation has now convinced me that I could never go back to a PKB.

Again, I know this is all subjective and lots of folks have their own standbys. Just sharing my experience here.

I assume you got one of the modded versions from XDA?

I also loved my BB lkeyboards. I would still prefer a physical keyboard (BB in its infinite dumbassery waited too long to give me that chance with the Priv on Verizon).

I tried the BB keyboard on my G4. I still wound up back with SwiftKey. It's clear, time and again, that if I'm going to have to type on glass, I'm going to prefer to do that with SwiftKey.

I love Fleksy's layout (it's the only widely available keyboard with what I refer to as the BlackBerry layout...second alpha row flush to sides of screen), but have never been able to get used to using it. If SwqiftKey had that layout, it would be the perfect keyboard for me.

wu-wei

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
No modded version here. I grabbed BlackBerry Manager from Cobalt's thread over on Crackberry and, though I use all the BlackBerry PIM apps and Hub, you can install the BlackBerry keyboard and Password Keeper (another top notch app from BB) without installing BlackBerry Services.

What makes this VKB stand out for me is the swipes up to accept predictions. Use it for about a week and you'll find you can swipe, not type, entire sentences. For me it is just the best VKB available, and there was no way I was going to switch to an Android device until I was sure I could use this keyboard. I'm an attorney, so fast and accurate typing is critical for me.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Heron we go again, Stock Keyboard, Swiftkey or...

So I am testing SwiftKey right now, keyboard size seems much bigger than stock, not the amount of space it takes up but the actual size of the keys, its definitely not cramped like the stock keyboard.

Predictions seem as good as stock if not better, only issue is thing thing is chock full of stuff I will never use lol, how is this on battery drain?

SwiftKey has never even registered on battery usage on any of my phones.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I assume you got one of the modded versions from XDA?

I also loved my BB lkeyboards. I would still prefer a physical keyboard (BB in its infinite dumbassery waited too long to give me that chance with the Priv on Verizon).

I tried the BB keyboard on my G4. I still wound up back with SwiftKey. It's clear, time and again, that if I'm going to have to type on glass, I'm going to prefer to do that with SwiftKey.

I love Fleksy's layout (it's the only widely available keyboard with what I refer to as the BlackBerry layout...second alpha row flush to sides of screen), but have never been able to get used to using it. If SwqiftKey had that layout, it would be the perfect keyboard for me.

I have the BB keyboard installed on my Note 5, but eventually went back to SwiftKey for sheer functionality of the multipurpose keys and selection of special characters. The fact I'm running SwiftKey Cloud Sync between my tablet and phone makes it a no-brainer, I don't have to re-teach either keyboard when I change devices.

sLithery

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Since you guys use SwiftKey I thought I'd give it a try. After installing it I got this message: After the instlling process SwiftKsy will work to its full potential. It randomly pops up.

Edit: Spelling

Attachments

• 576.jpg
    576.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

mundo472

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
No modded version here. I grabbed BlackBerry Manager from Cobalt's thread over on Crackberry and, though I use all the BlackBerry PIM apps and Hub, you can install the BlackBerry keyboard and Password Keeper (another top notch app from BB) without installing BlackBerry Services.

What makes this VKB stand out for me is the swipes up to accept predictions. Use it for about a week and you'll find you can swipe, not type, entire sentences. For me it is just the best VKB available, and there was no way I was going to switch to an Android device until I was sure I could use this keyboard. I'm an attorney, so fast and accurate typing is critical for me.

Agreed. This only gets better as you use it, as it gets better at prediction. Swiping words up from the next letter is most convenient.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site

I'd forgotten all about Blackberry Manager. I installed it in my last attempt to give the BB keyboard a shot on my G4. I installed it again on my S7E yesterday.

I wish I could re-size the keyboard. It's too "flat" for my taste. I also don't like the keyboards/themes without the secondary characters on the main keys. I haven't found a way to quickly access those alternatively.

I had an XDA modded version of the BB keyboard that allowed for full time number row display, and that had secondary characters on it, which helped a lot. I still prefer the secondary characters on the main keys, but that alternate option might entice me to use it longer. For those on the number row, it would just be a matter of retraining my muscle memory on location, not an extra key press to access an alternate screen.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I have the BB keyboard installed on my Note 5, but eventually went back to SwiftKey for sheer functionality of the multipurpose keys and selection of special characters. The fact I'm running SwiftKey Cloud Sync between my tablet and phone makes it a no-brainer, I don't have to re-teach either keyboard when I change devices.

Yep.

Emoji prediction used to be something SwiftKey had that most other keyboards didn't, but it seems to be more common now. I don't use a ton of emoji, but I miss not having the prediction capability. Just like having the secondary characters on the main keys, it saves key presses and having to go to a secondary screen.

So, now that emoji prediction is more widespread, the account sync (learning as I type), the secondary characters on main keys, and the ability to re-size the keyboard are my favorite features of SwiftKey.

I also like the availability of themes, but as long as I can have a black one (or "dark" at worst), that factor isn't a deal breaker. I keep going back to the Blood Red Nickel theme for some reason.

Last edited:

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. This only gets better as you use it, as it gets better at prediction. Swiping words up from the next letter is most convenient.

I'm not used to swiping at all. I don't use that sort of functionality on any keyboard. So, that would take some getting used to for me, but I do like it when I've tried it on the BB. It is just a bit less comfortable because the keyboard is too cramped. I wish I could stretch the height a row's worth, or maybe even two.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
SwiftKey is probably even taller than it needs to be in the screenshot, but it does illustrate my point. Wish I could make BB a bit taller.

~Kevin

Attachments

• 9138.jpg
    9138.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 149

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Since you guys use SwiftKey I thought I'd give it a try. After installing it I got this message: After the instlling process SwiftKsy will work to its full potential. It randomly pops up.

Edit: Spelling

What does the notification say? It may be normal depending on what it says (sorry can't read the language in the screenshot) :).

wu-wei

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I'd forgotten all about Blackberry Manager. I installed it in my last attempt to give the BB keyboard a shot on my G4. I installed it again on my S7E yesterday.

I wish I could re-size the keyboard. It's too "flat" for my taste. I also don't like the keyboards/themes without the secondary characters on the main keys. I haven't found a way to quickly access those alternatively.

I had an XDA modded version of the BB keyboard that allowed for full time number row display, and that had secondary characters on it, which helped a lot. I still prefer the secondary characters on the main keys, but that alternate option might entice me to use it longer. For those on the number row, it would just be a matter of retraining my muscle memory on location, not an extra key press to access an alternate screen.
One thing that's missing for sure from the BlackBerry keyboard is the "slide for alternate" function. On a BB10 device, you can press the "?123" key and slide to whichever character you need, then let go. You'll input the alternate character and the keyboard goes right back to alphabet. The version I'm using doesn't have that function, and I rather miss it.

As for key size, I can see that being an issue. Personally I'm used to the BlackBerry VKB, so it's no big deal for me.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Another vote for PRIV keyboard here. I own several others (including Swift) but I loved the vkb on my PRIV so I was happy to find I can use it on my SG7E.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
One thing that's missing for sure from the BlackBerry keyboard is the "slide for alternate" function. On a BB10 device, you can press the "?123" key and slide to whichever character you need, then let go. You'll input the alternate character and the keyboard goes right back to alphabet. The version I'm using doesn't have that function, and I rather miss it.

As for key size, I can see that being an issue. Personally I'm used to the BlackBerry VKB, so it's no big deal for me.

Ah, yes that secondary character functionality would help a lot. I never got to BB10. I bolted from 7 years of BlackBerry use while getting frustrated waiting and waiting for the Q10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol