Google Now, voice control and bluetooth....AGAIN

Frank Alberta

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
I now this is an old issue, but the problem is not going away (galaxy S7 Edge Verizon). And Android is the only phone operating system that cannot handle Bluetooth connections in a way that makes any sense.

I came from a windows phone which works flawlessly over the Bluetooth handsfree profile for notifications, Cortana, calls, and voice. The same is absolutely true for iOS (confirmed both today). One of the reasons both iOS and windows mobile are setup this way is because the microphone is not listening when you are using the Bluetooth audio connection so no voice commands will work. The other reason is that Bluetooth hands free profile connections are given priority over all other radio functions, so they take priority and cut out the radio or other input source. The same is true with Bluetooth headsets.

With iOS devices and windows phone, it doesn't matter what input your car radio is on, the notification, navigation, and voice commands all go out and in over the hands free protocol so it will override the radio, and start listening on the mic. This does not happen with android because all of those sounds go out over the Bluetooth audio connection (try to change the volume on google now voice and you will see that the media volume is changing).

Only android uses the Bluetooth audio connection and this is why it is so hard to make it work.

Does anyone know of any possible solutions to this problem?

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know if there are solutions to this as well. I also have an iPhone, but prefer to use my new S7 Edge. I am on the road a lot and like to use my BT headset to read and reply to messages hands free. It works seamlessly with the iPhone, but is cumbersome and inconsistent with Android. S-voice seems better than Google for some things, but not as consistent as Siri.

As the OP requested, does anyone know of any solutions, other than use an iPhone.

Posted via the Android Central App

Frank Alberta

Mar 30, 2016
Visit site
None of the voice notifications and/or prompts from android phone (S6 or S7 edge tried) will come through the bluetooth handsfree connection profile. They only come through the bluetooth audio/media profile. SO when you are connected to your car via bluetooth, the only way to HEAR the voice prompts, etc is if you manually switch the car radio over to the Bluetooth music source but then you cannot use voice commands because the car's bluetooth mic is not opened and listening when in that profile. iOS, windows mobile (8, 8.1, 10) and BB all had notifications and voice commands go over the handsfree phone connection when in your car or on a headset so they notifications would cut in no matter what source the radio is on and you could respond with voice commands.

rhensley827

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
If anybody figures this out, I would love to know too. I also came from a Windows phone and I loved how I could read texts and respond through bluetooth, even if I was listening to fm radio

Posted via the Android Central App

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Ah yes, I get you know, and I have the same problem. One thing I did find, maybe not a fix, but a workaround ... is that when your phone is connected to your bluetooth, slide down the notifications bar, and in there, there is an option to change the "Audio Path". If you change this to Phone, all your notifications come through on the phone even if the radio connected. Is easy enough to then swap it back to Bluetooth path

Like said, not a fix but maybe a workaround for now

bassislife

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking for a solution to this problem for it seems like forever. I have an iPhone 6S Plus that works seamlessly with my car bluetooth (phone going over hands-free, media going to BT aux input), responding with volumes just where they were last time I set them for that bluetooth device. With my Nexus 6P, however, Google Now will either respond too quiet to be heard (most often, particularly when trying to use hands-free through car bluetooth) or overdriven and distorted (sometimes, mostly when using 'OK Google' through media). I've tried using tasks to adjust volumes when connecting/disconnecting to bluetooth, adjusting every volume setting I can find, but it still works unpredictably from one moment to the next.

I really prefer to use the Nexus over the iPhone, but hands-free operation in the car is crucial. It kills me that Google still can't get this right after so many years.

Ryzza5

Dec 4, 2016
Visit site
A fix for having incoming SMS message read out:

Download and run a free Android app called A2DP Volume
Tap your car bluetooth device from the list then tap Edit
Tick 'Enable Reading Text Messages'
Under "Select a path for the text message sound to travel", change from Music Stream to Voice Call Stream
Scroll down and tap Save.
Make sure you see the toast "TTS Ready", otherwise you'll need to choose a TTS provider (Google, Samsung, etc)

Top-right corner, you can click More > Preferences and experiment.

The additional benefit of choosing the 'Voice Call' stream is that the car thinks a phone call is incoming - so if you don't want passengers to hear the message you can just 'hang up' using the steering wheel/BT controls.

scottwalton

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
Yeah come to think of it I have the same issue. Weird how the useful things just work on the fruit based phone and not on Android/Samsung. I am sure there is a third party add on that fixes this oversight. Not it should need sorting in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith