Screen turns on for seemingly no reason

bbogert79

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
OK glad to see this isn't just mine doing this. I know there is a issue that they are having with Verizon messages and receiving texts and waking screens. I had contacted them about it and they verified it's a known issue and they are working on a fix. But otherwise yes mine has been randomly waking up for no reason lately too. I'm thinking maybe some kind of glitch with that? The Hopefully someone can verify this. It's getting very annoying.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Happens to both my wife's s7 edge, and my Note5 on 6.0.1..just randomly turns on for no reason. Leads me to believe that it's a bug in samsungs marshmallow software, not specifically the s7.

Posted via the Android Central App

B0omSLanG

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
My wife has this issue and I do not. Went through her settings and apps and found nothing. I did disable Messages+ and cleared the cache/cache partitions. I'll see if anything changes.

Tigrisan

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Galaxy Note 4 w/Marshmallow was doing the same thing. Turned off Daydream and it has stopped for now. Just an FYI...

albie999

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Anybody figure out why this happening, noticed that mine has started doing the same. Like other people have said, flashes on, but no notifications being shown

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Mine has been doing this for weeks now, can't figure out the culprit. I've just started getting used to it and ignore it but it is annoying.

26nella

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I think it has to do with Sync being set up automatically when connected to wifi. I turned mine off and it seems to be fine now. Screen no longer turns on and off automatically when not in use

Rorhal

Aug 24, 2017
Visit site
I stumbled into a resolution for this for my phone.
Once I verified it was not app related (happened in safe mode and with 0 notifications coming in)

Figured out it was the magnet for the magnetic car holder that i had attached to the phone. In my case, and in many others I'm sure, there is a magnet under the Gal 6 Motorolla logo for the flip book style cases. When you flip the cover open, the magnet sticks at the back, and the screen auto turns on.

Once I removed the magnet, the problem stopped.

Mrs Glass

May 20, 2018
Visit site
Have any of you tried to turn display off? My fiance's S7 screen would seemingly turn on when he let the screen get dark (anything covering the screen when it's laying face up). I have the S7 but do not have this issue. Comparing them, he didn't have his set to "Keep Screen Turned Off" in display under settings. This eliminates the screen from turning on until you hit the power button or home button. Hope this helps.

Scouse Power

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
My S7 Edge running Android 8.0 has been turning it's screen on 'by itself' for weeks now, annoying the sh*t out of me. It would happen whenever I put it in the car's phone holder, or pulled it out of my pocket, despite being enclosed in a protective leather phone cover. I noticed it was reacting to the two little sensors above the screen to the left of the speaker.

I eventually solved it by turning off the Easy Screen Turn On feature, under Settings, Accessibility, Dexterity and Interaction. As with most of the annoying unexpected changes of behaviour over the last year or so, I don't remember ever turning this feature on.

Hope this helps.