S7 Edge slow to charge on Wireless charger

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I got the S7E a couple of weeks ago, and managed to snag the Samsung Wireless Charger from the offer (not the Fast Charger), and also purchased a Spigen Wireless 3-coil charger. Both seemed to work just fine for a couple of weeks, but a few days ago, I started to notice some odd behavior.

The Samsung charger, which I use at home for overnight charging, would seem to charge a bit slower than it used to. I first noticed this when I put the phone down on it to top it off before heading out the other night. It was on it long enough that it should've been close to full, but it wasn't. Also, now, when I pick up the phone in the morning, it will be at 75-85%, instead of being near fully charged (after being on the charger for at least 6-7 hours). Then I noticed the Spigen on my desk at work wasn't charging the phone as fast, either. This morning, I put the phone on the charger at my desk w/ a 60% charge and it said it was going to take 4 hours to fully charge. I plugged it in direct to the USB and it topped off in under an hour. All the wall chargers are the Samsung Fast Chargers, identical to the one that came in the box with the S7E, and using the OEM or different USB cables doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone else seeing an issue with the phone and wireless charging?

ashmouth

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I got the S7E a couple of weeks ago, and managed to snag the Samsung Wireless Charger from the offer (not the Fast Charger), and also purchased a Spigen Wireless 3-coil charger. Both seemed to work just fine for a couple of weeks, but a few days ago, I started to notice some odd behavior.

The Samsung charger, which I use at home for overnight charging, would seem to charge a bit slower than it used to. I first noticed this when I put the phone down on it to top it off before heading out the other night. It was on it long enough that it should've been close to full, but it wasn't. Also, now, when I pick up the phone in the morning, it will be at 75-85%, instead of being near fully charged (after being on the charger for at least 6-7 hours). Then I noticed the Spigen on my desk at work wasn't charging the phone as fast, either. This morning, I put the phone on the charger at my desk w/ a 60% charge and it said it was going to take 4 hours to fully charge. I plugged it in direct to the USB and it topped off in under an hour. All the wall chargers are the Samsung Fast Chargers, identical to the one that came in the box with the S7E, and using the OEM or different USB cables doesn't seem to make a difference.

Anyone else seeing an issue with the phone and wireless charging?

I haven't tried on any regular wireless chargers but the fast one i got from Verizon(the Samsung stand one) moves pretty good, no issues and damn fast for wireless

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That's about what I was seeing initially. Maybe between 3-4 hours for a full charge from around 20-30%. Now, much slower, plus there's the issue of the Samsung charger not being able to keep the phone 'topped up' when left overnight.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Mines working as expected. Takes my Spigen stand about 2.5 hours to take phone from 50% to full. I see no value in fast charging.

The fast one goes pretty quick. I had it on the charger for an hour.. Maybe a little longer (like 15 mins). It was at 29%.

Obviously cord is still the fastest but I do notice a difference with fast wireless vs non even if it's not insanely drastic.

Attachments

• 1459385749014.jpg
    1459385749014.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 97

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Same case, but I'll experiment with it off while charging.

As for those posting about the Fast Charger - This is NOT a question about how fast CAN I charge the phone wirelessly. It's an issue where I was able to charge it at a certain rate for a couple of weeks, which I was OK with, and then something changed where the SAME chargers seem to be taking much longer to charge the phone.

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So... last night I put the phone on the Samsung wireless charger w/ a 65% charge. The blue led on the the charger was lit, and I got the little wireless charging animation on the phone when I put it down. When I woke up, it was at 50%. It's as if it's not charging at all. I'm thinking the charger might be bad.

I came into the office and put the phone on the Spigen charger w/ 25% left. It says 2.5 hours to full charge, which seems about normal. Will see in a couple of hours.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
So... last night I put the phone on the Samsung wireless charger w/ a 65% charge. The blue led on the the charger was lit, and I got the little wireless charging animation on the phone when I put it down. When I woke up, it was at 50%. It's as if it's not charging at all. I'm thinking the charger might be bad.

I came into the office and put the phone on the Spigen charger w/ 25% left. It says 2.5 hours to full charge, which seems about normal. Will see in a couple of hours.
I'm wondering if there is some runaway process running in the background. Do you have Greenify installed. That will tell you if something is active in the background and let you hibernate it. Have you restarted the phone recently? If there is a runaway app, a restart should kill the app.

SPARTONY

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm also having same issue. Wireless charging will not get my phone past 62% charging. Will try to kill background apps and see

Posted via the Android Central App

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
The Spigen charger seems to be working OK today(?). Will have to try the Samsung at home again tonight (this time w/o the case).

Yes, a runaway process was my first thought. I did try re-booting the phone before putting it on the charger(s), but it didn't seem to matter. I did get a bunch of app updates yesterday, so maybe one of them fixed a 'bug'... Got another 6-7 today pending connection to Wifi.

IgorOzz

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm facing a similar issue with my Galaxy Note 5. I've the Fast Wireless Charger from Samsung and it always worked as expected (fast charging the phone). Then, after updating to Marshmallow I noticed fast wireless charging isn't working. It is doing the regular wireless charging instead, what takes really long to complete. Any suggestion?

Cheers,
Igor.

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Mine is slow too and it often disconnects or something in the middle of the night and I will wake up and my phone will be at 20% 😑 annoying. I do have an otterbox but my bf has the same phone with a thinner case and it happens to him too.

omahaorange

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
When my wife got her S5, we got the standard wireless charger from Verizon. If I recall correctly, that charger does not trickle charge or otherwise maintain the battery, meaning that once the battery was charger, the charger stopped charging. So if the phone was left on, it would then begin to drain the battery anew, but would not pick up charging again at any level. Keep in mind we got this 16-18 months ago. I think the Qi changed this for the newer chargers, but I'm not sure.

jskinvest

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same slow charging problem after the Marshmallow update. But I am using a galaxy S6 from Verizon. After the 6.01 update last Friday the wireless charging is very slow. As an example it now takes about 30 minutes to go from 95% to 100%. Something is definitely wrong. Any ideas?

LMychajluk

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
OP Here... I may have found a solution after reading about similar issues w/ the S6. Try turning off the Screen Saver ("Daydream"). Seems to me like charging stops when the phone locks if the Screensaver is on.

I'll continue to monitor, but if others could post their results, it would be great. Thanks!

Don Nems

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I am having the same issue. Started maybe a week ago.

I have several wireless chargers. I have been using them for a long time, and they have had no issue topping off my Galaxy s7 edge, until now. I believe there was a software update to the phone recently, so it is possible that is causing some issue with charging wirelessly. I am going to plug in the phone tonight, bypassing the wireless pad to see if that makes a difference.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
I had similar issues periodically. I use a Belkin Qi wireless charging pad (not fast/rapid) where I would place the phone on the pad overnight to charge and when I would wake up, sometimes it would not be fully charged (usually around 75-85 percent). It did not happen every night, but as one poster mentioned, after the recent software update, I have not experienced any problems with charging. Fully charged when I wake :)

It could also be a coincidence, but ever since I turned off AOD and location and just use the night clock, it's charged to 100 percent.

Don Nems

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I fixed my issue. I found this in my google search.

It is several things you can try if your Galaxy s7 is charging slowly. Some are more laborious or intrusive than others. I decided to go with something relatively easy and definitive, deleting the system cache. That did the trick. Follow the instructions on this page, but high level, you restart the phone into a 'safe' mode and select an option that clears the cache. Then start back up. Took a couple min and results were profound.

I am assuming that the recent update may have contributed to the cache causing this issue for me.

Good Luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney