S7 Edge stuck on "Downloading...Do Not Turn off Target"???

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Got my S7 Edge a week ago and love it, but have just encountered a problem and need some help!
I've been a long term iphone user, and this is my first android phone so have no idea whats happened here lol

I was driving and the battery was nearly dead on my S7, so reached down and turned it off.

Just got home and picked it up, and it is stuck on a green screen with a message saying "Downloading... Do Not Turn off Target" in the middle and in the top left it says:
FACTORY MODE
DOWNLOADING SPEED: FAST
PRODUCT NAME: SM-G935F
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
FAP LOCK: ON
Secure Download: Enabled
WARRANTY VOID: 0 (0x0000)
RP SWREV: B: 1 K:0 S:0

Please help me!
The phone is completely standard and not been altered so no idea what this is :-(

Thank you

EDIT: Ok got my phone to reboot by pressing and holding the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons as described on another thread while googling the problem!
The phone has rebooted and all seems normal, but I'd still like to know what caused it and what the message meant??
Cheers

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Download Mode (aka Odin Mode) is how you can load a different firmware to the phone, and is usually reached by pressing Power, Home, and Vol Down when doing a cold boot. Is it possible you accidentally pressed these buttons?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
And as long as you're not actually connected to a PC and downloading firmware, it's OK to reboot or shut off the phone while that message is displayed.

reggiethejazman

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
I've experienced this same issue on a Note 4.

Had the phone for a year and a half. Absolutely love it, no issues with any OS, upgrades or battery. No recent apps added but there was a recent OS automatic update. As far as I can tell, no virus issues detected by my anti-virus/malware app.

After having phone plugged in all night, first noticed in the morning that battery level only showed 17%. Unusual since fast charge gets me 50%+ in half hour.
I hit the power button and immediately got the Android screen with the "Do Not Turn Off Downloading Target" message. At the top, the first line (in red) displayed a 'could not boot in normal mode' message. Found the reboot process online and it worked. Unfortunately,
this message has occurred at least a two dozen times now (in the span of 3 days). Even rebooting using the power/down volume button combination doesn't work all the time. Removing the battery restores the phone but not immediately and not every time.

I had a Samsung rep reload Marshmallow 6.0.1 (it took 3 attempts before a successful upload) after doing a factory reset and wiping out my data.
Guess what....NO HELP. I thought a clean install would be the sure fix but I guess not. Within 2 hrs of reloading the OS from scratch the message returned.

I've also noticed that my phone is a little hotter than normal so I'm going to change out the battery just to eliminate as a possible cause. The phone is charged with the OEM charger but I'm replacing that also to eliminate that as a possibility.

I'm beginning to wonder if the latest OS is part of the issue...

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.
I see this is quite an issue, inconvenience and expense for many so I'll update if something works or doesn't work.

reggiethejazman

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Ok...here's the update (I'll post this to a new thread so it doesn't get lost here).

Spoke to Sprint.
This is a known issue that Samsung is attempting to resolve with several Samsung phones.
Factory resets, batt replacements, software uploads may NOT resolve the problem.
I'm taking phone to Sprint now for a replacement.

Michael90

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
Having the same problem with my Samsung s7 - factory mode downloading DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET - am aware of the procedures on how to over come this problem my main question is once ive donall this and the phone reboots will all my photo still be there ?? ( not 100% sure ive backed them up) :(

thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Your photos will be there. Download mode is not a factory reset, so as long as you're not doing a factory reset, your personal data will remain.

Devashezz

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
even I got same problem like spoonabelhippo it is in odin mode when I press 3 keys then restart it shows SAMSUNG and the logo keeps on glowing with brightness changes as if vibrating then it doesn't move

kimchi78

Apr 7, 2017
Visit site
even I got same problem like spoonabelhippo it is in odin mode when I press 3 keys then restart it shows SAMSUNG and the logo keeps on glowing with brightness changes as if vibrating then it doesn't move

have you found a resolution for this?? im in the same situaition

please help

samirroomi

Jun 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi
i had the same problem and it got stuck on downloading so i did a reset again. i did this twice and then the phone completely switched off and its completely dead now. no buttons or soft reset is working. please tell me what should i do to recover again
thanks

Rebecca Dispoto

Oct 26, 2017
Visit site
I am having Same problem. My phone did target download update when charging, was froze for an hour so i rebooted (bc it said it was safe to as long as i wasnt on a computer) it rebooted or so i thought, woke up and it won't respond to any of the trouble shooting in any sight. (Power v down, all buttons, v up home power) it doesnt appear to be charging either, however I plugged in the wireless charger and it does make it Light up the charger,but no response on phone. Please help!

Last edited:

Haklid

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I've got one tricky for u!:
Same issue, Odin Mode. BUT, my power button has been out for a while. Doesnt really bother me that much on a daily basis, but now Im stuck in download Mode.. and cant get out the usual way: power+volume down+home.
Is there any PC programs or anything that I can get it back in normal Mode with?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair