Status of enabling adoptable storage ??

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
So does it move all app data to sd card combining it with internal storage ? Or does it only move some data and it's not really worth it? Thanks.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
But does it move the entire app to the sd storage if you make the entire adaptable storage %100? If you move games to storage does it affect game play? Thanks !

It depends on the app. Some will allow everything to be moved, some won't. I have not personally had game play issues, but I have seen load times get just a small bit longer.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
And it does show up as being stored on the sd card even when you use a file manager?

I think that would depend on the File Manager being updated to properly deal with the new storage schemes in Marshmallow. So I don't know the exact answer, other than you shouldn't be moving app data with a file manager in Marshmallow.

cnotes2019

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I think that would depend on the File Manager being updated to properly deal with the new storage schemes in Marshmallow. So I don't know the exact answer, other than you shouldn't be moving app data with a file manager in Marshmallow.

No I don't mean moving it using an file manager but just the mere fact of seeing the app located in the sd card using it.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Adoptable storage allows you to "merge" internal and external storage. So if you have 32GB internal and 200 GB external you now have 232GB total Internal storage. The system and all apps see it as one big chunk of memory. You can, as I understand it, allocate all or a part of you external storage to be combined with the internal.
There is a major problem here. Once merged you cannot remove the SD card and just insert a new one. The data and apps will be stored across both the internal and external memory. In some devices if you replace the card or remove and reinsert it the device will reformat the SD card.
This is one of the reasons Samsung opted not to use Adoptable storage. Can you imagine the calls when someone loses all their apps and data because they removed the card?
Also, the over all speed of memory would be limited to the slower of the two. A slow SD card could then slow down the whole system, in theory.

I would have rathered that Samsung made it available via a developer option. Those that understand it could activate it and those that don't could do so at their own risk.

Posted via the Android Central App

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Adoptable storage allows you to "merge" internal and external storage. So if you have 32GB internal and 200 GB external you now have 232GB total Internal storage. The system and all apps see it as one big chunk of memory. You can, as I understand it, allocate all or a part of you external storage to be combined with the internal.
There is a major problem here. Once merged you cannot remove the SD card and just insert a new one. The data and apps will be stored across both the internal and external memory. In some devices if you replace the card or remove and reinsert it the device will reformat the SD card.
This is one of the reasons Samsung opted not to use Adoptable storage. Can you imagine the calls when someone loses all their apps and data because they removed the card?
Also, the over all speed of memory would be limited to the slower of the two. A slow SD card could then slow down the whole system, in theory.

I would have rathered that Samsung made it available via a developer option. Those that understand it could activate it and those that don't could do so at their own risk.

Your assertion that the storages are merged and become "one lump" is not necessarily true.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Merged may not be the technical term but it is what happens. The SD card becomes a part of the internal system memory. Thus if you have 16GB available in system memory and you implement adoptable memory option, the SD card is formated as ext4 partition and you now have the 16GB plus the memory of the SD card. If you are using a 64GB SD card you would then have 80GB of internal memory. The problem is if you are not using an extremely fast SD card your system memory performance will suffer and thus your over all performance.
Also the card pecomes a permanent part of the internal system and your device will not function without it.
For most people the best option is not to use adoptable storage but use the sd card as external storage. Move apps to the SD card and set apps to store data on the SD card.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I rarely use them so I have no suggestions.

ES File Explorer is talked about a lot and seems popular but I can't speak to functionality with Marshmallow.
Es file explorer, Astro, and solid Explorer can read sd card but cannot write to sd card. The only file browser that I have been able to write to sd card was the stock my files app.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the app. Some will allow everything to be moved, some won't. I have not personally had game play issues, but I have seen load times get just a small bit longer.
Does burst mode work for you? I'm just curious because that's what I couldn't get to work when I had it enabled

Bagussekali

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Does burst mode work for you? I'm just curious because that's what I couldn't get to work when I had it enabled
Hey jaycemiskel, I also have adoptable storage, enabled via adb. Burst mode doesn't work for me also, it just stalls there with the counter stuck at 0. I can't even exit the app except from the recent tab on the the left(s7). That doesn't even work sometimes and I have to restart the phone. Also, my phone runs just a bit slower even with Samsung 64gb evo+

MikeRotch76

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I used adoptable storage (via ADB) and was able to use Solid Explorer to write to the SD Card.

I gave up adoptable storage though and am using my SD card the way Samsung wanted me to. After my S7E crashed and my phone would not reboot (got stuck on Samsung logo), I had to wipe and factory reset my phone. I LOST ALL OF MY DATA on the SD card. I now see the wisdom of not using adoptable storage. If your SD card ever becomes corrupt, or your phone breaks or otherwise becomes non-responsive, you will lose ALL of your data. At least if you use normal storage and your SD card crashes, you can possibly use a recovery tool to recover the data since it'll be readable by a PC. I've actually had to do that before, recover data from a corrupt SD card.

I know you can't move all apps onto the SD card, but you can move a lot of them, including games. Also, you don't have to, but SHOULD by a U3 SD card if you want to use adoptable storage there is a HUGE difference in speed between internal memory and U1 cards. If you get a U1 card, your apps/games/whatever will be very slow. I have a Samsung EVO PRO which is U3. The EVO and EVO+ are U1. Notice I'm not talking about UHS1, U1 and U3 are different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv