people edge keeps losing settings

Thomas Gruver

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
About once a week I have to keep reading putting all of my contacts into the people's edge so in effect by Peoples edge is in fact losing the people :)

Anybody else seeing this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Shane Kelley

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Yes! I'm so happy someone else is reporting this as a problem! My contacts disappear from the People Edge app within 1-2 hours though :(

This is my first Android phone ever, and I'm loving what I see so far, but man this problem is bugging me to no end. I can't figure out what's going on. I contacted Samsung support and all they could suggest was resetting all the apps, which I did. No change.

So, out of the box on this device, I've got this People Edge issue.

Anyone with any ideas on what might be causing this?

Shane Kelley

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Hey Thomas, I may have fixed this problem by trying to sort out something else. Maybe this will help you?

First, it's worth noting that when I first set up my phone, I installed Microsoft Outlook and through that app my Outlook.com account was added to the phone. Coming from a Lumia, I'm already invested in the Microsoft ecosystem of apps for Office and mail, so I was only planning on using this for my mail, calendar, contacts, etc. I was NOT using the Samsung Email or Calendar apps, but I was using the Contacts app (which was set to be in sync with Outlook, my Comcast account, and my work account (which is Office365 based).

It's the above set up where I was adding favorite contacts to the People Edge app, and which would disappear after an hour or two.

Because Outlook doesn't sync with the Samsung Calendar app, and because you can't set the Outlook Calendar as the default, I decided to remove Outlook and try using the Samsung Email and Calendar apps for awhile, see if they were worth keeping. To do this, I removed my Outlook.com account from Settings/Accounts, removed Outlook as a phone administrator from Settings/LockScreenSecurity/OtherSettings, then uninstalled the Outlook app.

Adding my various accounts directly through the Samsung Email app (and by extension having them sync to Calendar and Contacts), I immediately noticed that my contacts were present in a more 'complete' state - all contact pictures came over, etc. That wasn't the case before. I've added five contacts to the People Edge app since that change, and as of right now (more than 12 hours) they are still there. So, I've at least gotten past the 1-2 hour mark, but I've got no idea if this is permanently fixed or if it will happen in a few days, weeks, etc.

I also can't confirm what step here actually fixed the problem:
- Maybe contacts in sync from Outlook app don't play nicely with People Edge?
- Maybe the contacts were in a bad state from when they were first added, and it has nothing to do with Outlook being on the phone?
- Maybe adding the accounts outside of Outlook makes a difference?

I'm going to live with these apps for a bit to see if I miss Outlook vs having the Calendar integration be cleaner, but either way, I figured some of the above may help you out. Good luck!

st1cky

May 6, 2016
Visit site
This appears to have also solved my problem of my newly added favorites to my speed dial page disappearing every few hours. Will also be adding contacts to the people edge app now that this problem has been resolved. Thanks!

Jandoraa

Jun 1, 2016
Visit site
Make sure that the contacts you put on the edge panel are Google contacts. I had 2 of the 5 edge panel contacts that would disappear. I found that if I unlinked the yahoo, Outlook, etc, and added the 2 back with only their Google profile then they stayed. I went back to the actual contacts page,linked the outlook profiles to the Google profile of those 2 contacts and they still stayed in place.

Tim Banting

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
About once a week I have to keep reading putting all of my contacts into the people's edge so in effect by Peoples edge is in fact losing the people :)

Anybody else seeing this?

Posted via the Android Central App

Same thing happening to me on my S7 Edge

Last edited by a moderator:

pvcleave

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, this fixed my contact photo issue. Hopefully, it fixes my contacts staying on the edge. It had been working until I reset my phone. I did not setup Samsung mail this time. It is such a pain to reset the phone, not like a Lumia, where everything comes back and just starts working.

My problem was fixed simply setting up Samsung mail. I did not need to get rid of Outlook.

Last edited:

Vip Shah

Feb 19, 2017
Visit site
Shane Kelly, I have a question. I come from Microsoft Lumia 950 phone, too. I used Outlook.com (Hotmail.com) account as my primary account. So, in your steps, you said you removed Outlook app, Outlook.com account and then added "all" accounts through Samsung Email and Calendar app and you were able to fix the issue... Question: when you say "all" - does that include your Outlook.com (hotmail.com) account, too? Because while having Outlook app, I am not able to add my Hotmail.com account to Samsung Calendar app. It fails.

Please clarify.

ccalberti

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I have exactly this setup on a new Note 8 - using Outlook app and my Office 365 exchange accounts for calendar and contacts and email. It works well for everything other than People Edge, so I'll probably live with the setup as is. I do sync with the Contacts App, but it does not make a difference with the People Edge problem. Part of the reason I abandoned the iPhone ecosystem for the Edge was the hope that Outlook would work better, yet I find that there are similar problems like this, which I also had on the iPhone.

Jamie Buchanan

Sep 17, 2018
Visit site
I had the same problem and believe I found a solution that worked for me. I have the Outlook app and it is set to sync contacts. I noticed under the default contacts app there were 2 accounts related to my outlook account. One was an Exchange Activsync and the other just said outlook. I disabled syncing of the Exchange Activesync one and now the contacts seem to stay on the People Edge. I tested creating and editing contacts from within the Contacts app and from within the Outlook app and from Outlook on my PC and everything seemed to sync just fine including emails and calendar. I'm curious to see if other people have the same setup and if this works for them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000