I tried to watch some Netflix on Gear VR last night. The resolution looks terrible. Is it the screen protector I put on or are all like this. I took it off and watched my iPad instead.
    04-03-2016 07:56 AM
    This early in the technology, every VR headset, including the upcoming ones from Facebook, HTC snd Sony, are going to have what's commonly called a screen door effect. Think of it this way. You're getting 534 PPI resolution on your phone, but due to the way VR creates the image, by splitting it into two, on the VR, you're getting half of that resolution, so only 267 PPI. If virtual reality really takes off, this I believe will be the motivator for Samsung to start making 4K screens.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-03-2016 08:57 AM
    By the way, last night I watched the NCAA men's basketball games live in VR on my Samsung Gear headset. Even with the screen door effect, it was an absolutely exhilarating experience - - like being right there on the sidelines. My biggest complaint is that somebody needs to work on creating a much more lightweight set of VR goggles.

LanceAllan likes this.
    04-03-2016 09:01 AM
    This early in the technology, every VR headset, including the upcoming ones from Facebook, HTC snd Sony, are going to have what's commonly called a screen door effect. Think of it this way. You're getting 534 PPI resolution on your phone, but due to the way VR creates the image, by splitting it into two, on the VR, you're getting half of that resolution, so only 267 PPI. If virtual reality really takes off, this I believe will be the motivator for Samsung to start making 4K screens.

I agree once you get past the "screen door effect" most of the games and apps are really fun to play around with in the Gear VR! I hardly notice it too after awhile since I'm trying to focus on the content of the screen.
    04-03-2016 09:48 AM

Not sure, if even 4k would be enough though...
    04-03-2016 10:00 AM
    I noticed this right off but it was still fun to use.

Don't forget to wipe off the lenses on the Gear VR as well as the display on the screen. I didn't do this when I got my Gear VR and I could see a little dust on everything I watched.
    04-03-2016 10:57 AM
    Daft question did you remove the protective film.
    04-03-2016 02:23 PM

That and the simple fact of shrinking the image you lose image quality. Add in streaming and you get today's vr.
    04-03-2016 03:04 PM
    Yeah I did. As was mentioned earlier, this is the screen door effect that could be seen on first gen plasma TVs back in the early 2000s
    04-03-2016 07:36 PM
    Yeah I did. As was mentioned earlier, this is the screen door effect that could be seen on first gen plasma TVs back in the early 2000s
    All current-gen VR headsets have that, including the Oculus Rift. You really do get used to it after a while. That said, it also depends on the content. As Netflix doesn't do 4K streaming to the Gear VR, that particular source looks rather bad in my opinion.
    SurfnSun likes this.
    04-03-2016 11:53 PM
    It's not a daft question. What are your qualifications? Are you a phone engineer? Are you a psychiatrist? What are you? A troll in your moms basement? You're daft.
    11-06-2016 07:36 PM
    It's not a daft question. What are your qualifications? Are you a phone engineer? Are you a psychiatrist? What are you? A troll in your moms basement? You're daft.
    You resurrect a 7 month old thread to say that? I think you're the one with issues...
    11-06-2016 10:42 PM