S7 Edge Home Button Question/Issue?

BassSoLow

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Got my S7 Edge and really really like it. However, one this is kind of irritating me...the home button.

Maybe it's just me, but I have to press the button fully in the center with my thumb or finger to get it to work. If I click it down fully on either the right or left sides of the button nothing happens.

Are all the units like this? I've had Galaxy phones in the past where no matter where you pressed the button, a little to the right, left, or center it would respond to being clicked.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it too. Lol. Anyways, let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance!

spho68

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
Have exactly the same on mine. Took it back to the shop after testing one on display elsewhere that seemed OK and they swapped it after testing a few things. New one is exactly the same, as was another I tried in the shop. Seems to suggest it's a common issue, if not a fault. Intend to pop into Samsung support centre in a week or so when I'm near one to see what they have to say about it.

alty68

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
My phone is similar. If I press the home button in the center, it always works. If I press it on the sides it will work if I press it firmly, otherwise nothing. I am thinking this is normal for the phone, but perhaps I am wrong.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I haven't noticed an issue, but I think I pretty much press it in the middle most of the time anyway. But I just tested it a few times, and it powered up every time even when I press the far left or right edge of the button. But yes, it's a mechanical switch, so you need to press it firmly enough to engage the switch.

spho68

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I think that's the thing, the button will click if pressed on the side, and you'd reasonably expect it to register, but in fact it needs to be pressed a little harder. Except when pressing it around the centre in which case it always works. I got a reply from Samsung about this, they're "not aware of any issues with the home button". I think this means their systems have not flagged it up as an issue when queried, almost inevitable as they'll assume any reported problem is customer error unless it becomes unavoidable to do something.

vinchendoh

Apr 18, 2016
Visit site
Are you using good lock by any chance, I have the same problem. I need to double tap the home button when I use good lock and a custom launcher (Google Launcher in my case)

freezingpoint

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I had mine like that, the left side particularly doesn't respond well. Also note that I only have this unit for 5 days, only really used it in the past 2 days.

Went to the retailer, they weren't willing to exchange it because it's a "minor defect" and they found out that one of their employees' S6 edge was like that and they weren't keen on replacing mine since they won't get a credit for the one I was going to return. They referred me to Samsung.

Now I went to Samsung and they downplayed it. They made all sorts of reasons like the waterproofing, bigger size, it should be pressed in the middle, etc. So their "competent" technicians deemed it NOT faulty.

Well for my part, I paid for a very expensive phone and the home button doesn't work as well as I want to. They said press the middle always. Seriously? So if there's some button on my keyboard for example, if I press the side and it doesn't respond it's fine since it works when pressed in the middle? In the end, I got NOTHING. No exchange or anything.

I believe Samsung should properly design this home button in such a way that ALL units work the same AND regardless if I press it on the left, middle or right, it should register. I am utterly disappointed because of this issue. I just have to live with it, unfortunately.

I consider this as a fault on their part but they won't admit it because it means they have to recall so many units that are like that. A button that only works 75%, I'd say and they'll tell you it's nothing wrong. Even after showing them 10x of not registering the press, they'll say, "oh press the middle, not the left cause that's how it should be".

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I had mine like that, the left side particularly doesn't respond well. Also note that I only have this unit for 5 days, only really used it in the past 2 days.

Went to the retailer, they weren't willing to exchange it because it's a "minor defect" and they found out that one of their employees' S6 edge was like that and they weren't keen on replacing mine since they won't get a credit for the one I was going to return. They referred me to Samsung.

Now I went to Samsung and they downplayed it. They made all sorts of reasons like the waterproofing, bigger size, it should be pressed in the middle, etc. So their "competent" technicians deemed it NOT faulty.

Well for my part, I paid for a very expensive phone and the home button doesn't work as well as I want to. They said press the middle always. Seriously? So if there's some button on my keyboard for example, if I press the side and it doesn't respond it's fine since it works when pressed in the middle? In the end, I got NOTHING. No exchange or anything.

I believe Samsung should properly design this home button in such a way that ALL units work the same AND regardless if I press it on the left, middle or right, it should register. I am utterly disappointed because of this issue. I just have to live with it, unfortunately.

I consider this as a fault on their part but they won't admit it because it means they have to recall so many units that are like that. A button that only works 75%, I'd say and they'll tell you it's nothing wrong. Even after showing them 10x of not registering the press, they'll say, "oh press the middle, not the left cause that's how it should be".

I think you should've pressed them harder. I had the same issue on my S6 a year ago. And I went to the store asking them for an exchange. They gave me all kinds of BS but I didn't give up. I left the phone there with them and asked them to keep it if they won't exchange it because I paid good money for it and I won't settle for a faulty button. Even if it's minor.

And so they did. They gave me a new one.

You should go back there and try again. And this time with a little less patience :p

Posted via the Android Central App

Luis Huerta1

May 17, 2016
Visit site

All manufactured good will have defects, so its hard to blema them for the design, as a lot of people have perfectly wprking home buttons....

mlblack16

Apr 29, 2016
Visit site
Isn't there also a potential for your home button to lag due to the default setting of double clicking the home button to launch the camera? I turned that function off.

Seems like there was also an issue with the S3 home button and it lag due to S-Voice.

I'm not saying this is directly related, but a sluggish home button could also make it seem as though it's not working sometimes.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jul 24, 2016
Visit site
Got my S7 Edge and really really like it. However, one this is kind of irritating me...the home button.

Maybe it's just me, but I have to press the button fully in the center with my thumb or finger to get it to work. If I click it down fully on either the right or left sides of the button nothing happens.

Are all the units like this? I've had Galaxy phones in the past where no matter where you pressed the button, a little to the right, left, or center it would respond to being clicked.

Maybe I'm just over thinking it too. Lol. Anyways, let me know what you all think.

Thanks in advance!
I also have the same unit but I replace my unit

stefantircomnicu

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey,i have the same problem now..but i can not return the phone any more.I sent the phone în service yesterday.Do you think this problem is covered by the waranty? I mean they should replace my whole screen with the metal sides..but i am kinda worried that it is not covered by the waranty

slayersouaid

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
hey mate i had the same issues try disabling google application and google play music and if u had installed a music player also unistall it ! it worked for me !! tel me if it worked

steezytech

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
its just an unlucky unit. return it to a nearby samsung service centre for a free fix/replacement. all you need is to be under warranty ( phone too recent to be out of warranty unless damaged physically so no wories there mate) and make sure to bring your proof of purchase ( receipt or your carrier contract) btw they wont accept a bill as a proof of purchase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki