04-06-2016 02:10 AM
45 12
tools
    No idea what happened, but I was going for a run with it in my pocket and finished everything. Turned off the music, went to my car to leave the gym, and got home.

Pulled it out of my pocket and the screen is completely shattered where the power button is. Before I put it in my pocket it was completely fine but now it looks like it almost exploded as you can see glass pieces already missing.

Sigh...Good thing for insurance

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails S7 Edge just shattered in my pocket.-603.jpg  
    04-05-2016 02:04 PM
    The phone is too fragile to run with unless it's secured in an armband IMO.
    04-05-2016 02:19 PM
    It looks like there was a point of impact where the power button is.
    04-05-2016 03:40 PM
    I run with a flip belt haven't had an issue. Did you have a case on it?

04-05-2016 03:41 PM
    Defanilty something has hit the edge of the screen that can't just happen.
    04-05-2016 03:54 PM
    Did you put anything else in your pocket? Shower at the gym?

04-05-2016 04:00 PM
    Update 1:

Apologies for any confusion but the damage didn't happen during the jog. I went for the jog at the gym and everything was fine. I turned off the music and the screen was pristine with no damage. I put it in the cup holder of my car and arrived home and the screen again was fine. I popped the phone in my pocket went inside and when I took out to take a shower that's when there was damage. From the time I walked from my car to my shower (20 feet) the screen shattered. There was no bumping or dropping or anything in between just a few simple steps in shorts.

Update 2:

Went to the AT&T store with the phone and to pursue insurance on it. AT&T told me not to pursue insurance yet and that there was no reason for the screen to shatter. With absolutely no physical damage on the device (the edges are pristine and the phone looks completely new bar fingerprints) AT&T could not understand why the screen would be shattered like that as there was no impact or damage to the phone. AT&T suggested I go to Best Buy and go to the Samsung Experience section.

Off to Best Buy I go, S7 Edge, Original Box, and receipt in hand. I arrive at the Samsung Experience section and the employee is completely vexed by the phone. He handles it and notices that the phone looks perfect (minus the screen) and that with the glass coming off the screen it would have needed substantial impact to the phone but he isn't seeing any on the sides or any foul play. He says that he is unable to repair the phone or replace it due to it being a warranty issue and thus I contact Samsung Corporate for a warranty replacement. Two employees have now said they see no reason for the screen to have cracked and there is no physical damage to the phone (none to the power button where the crack appears and none anywhere on the phone to suggest damage) and I am thinking that with the Samsung employee right here I should be able to get it replaced under warranty.

I call Samsung Corporate while still at Best Buy and the nightmare begins. I explain the situation, I have the Samsung employee is here to corroborate the condition of the phone being pristine with no physical damage to it but I'm told that even if there is a defect or a problem with the phone, because the screen is damaged that isn't covered under warranty and it will cost $470 to repair (an AT&T insurance claim would be $269.99). What in the actual ****!? I ask them to clarify that position as it seems that they are saying no matter how defective a device is from them, if the screen is damage because of it the warranty is null. I explains that that does not make sense because what if the phone is just defective or faulty from them and causes the screen to crack or LCD to be destroyed. The employee (reading from a script at this point I must assume) just repeats that any screen damage is not covered. The Samsung employee (Samsung experience station, remember, they work for Samsung but are stationed at Best Buys) explains to them that he sees no damage to the device but Samsung corporate will not budge and says that it is not covered.

So now my choices are $470 "warranty" replacement from Samsung that both AT&T and the Samsung/Best Buy employee said should not have happened when looking at the phone or $270 insurance claim through AT&T. This would limit me to no more claims as the cost of the phone would send it past the total amount allowed for claims ($1500 maximum, but the phone is a good $800+ after tax, thus only one claim) and if I have a legitimate claim to make over the next two years I'm just screwed.

After running around the city, multiple phone calls, multiple people explaining that this makes no sense and that it shouldn't have happened I'm left holding the bag. Pissed off that I'm getting told "We don't care about you, give us your money, go **** yourself even if it's a defect" I go to the mobile section of Best Buy (if you've been to a Best Buy recently you know that the Samsung section and Mobile are separate) and purchase a 64 GB Bros Gold iPhone SE.

If I screwed up and dropped the phone or hit something, I would gladly pay the insurance claim through AT&T but being told by their employee and the Samsung employee that the damage made no sense due to the meticulous condition of the phone I feel completely ****ed over. But because of the position of corporate Samsung who ignored their own employee, I will never buy another Samsung device.

S7 Edge just shattered in my pocket.-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails S7 Edge just shattered in my pocket.-image.jpg  
    iDrizzy, recDNA and Smply_Rckless like this.
    04-05-2016 04:25 PM
    Did you put anything else in your pocket? Shower at the gym?

Nothing else in my pocket, it was the only thing in there and the phone was only in my pocket for the beginning of the run, during the power walk, jog phase. It was in the cup holder of the treadmill otherwise.
    04-05-2016 04:26 PM
    These are the craziest stories I have ever heard about shattering phones out of thin air. WTF?

Even more bizarre, is Samsung's unwillingness to even examine the damage before making an expensive decision like that.

With all that said, I'm not sure what to think about this. Something just seems off here.

04-05-2016 04:45 PM
    cant the att store do a warranty replacement for you?
    verizon sent me a replacement for my sd card issue, even though i had no insurance, and i bought the phone at best buy.

but what different will apple do? do they replace broken screens for free?
    04-05-2016 05:23 PM
    I can see both points of view here, Samsung only has an exploded screen damaged to where the glass is coming out, clearly this seems a near impossibility on its own.

On the other hand is a potential issue, maybe it had a hairline Crack all along or something.

I assume warranty repair explodes screens since more times than not its the users fault (not saying this is the case).

As for Apple, if you think you will wall into their retail store or a best buy with a cracked screen and expect any different outcome I am afraid you will be disappointed.

Sorry to hear this has happened to you, sad if this really is an issue. On the other hand surely it's cheaper at 279 to fix the screen than at 849 for a new iPhone.

Either way enjoy the new device hope it brings a better experience.
    AustinTech likes this.
    04-05-2016 05:28 PM
    Update 1:

Apologies for any confusion but the damage didn't happen during the jog. I went for the jog at the gym and everything was fine. I turned off the music and the screen was pristine with no damage. I put it in the cup holder of my car and arrived home and the screen again was fine. I popped the phone in my pocket went inside and when I took out to take a shower that's when there was damage. From the time I walked from my car to my shower (20 feet) the screen shattered. There was no bumping or dropping or anything in between just a few simple steps in shorts.

Update 2:

Went to the AT&T store with the phone and to pursue insurance on it. AT&T told me not to pursue insurance yet and that there was no reason for the screen to shatter. With absolutely no physical damage on the device (the edges are pristine and the phone looks completely new bar fingerprints) AT&T could not understand why the screen would be shattered like that as there was no impact or damage to the phone. AT&T suggested I go to Best Buy and go to the Samsung Experience section.

Off to Best Buy I go, S7 Edge, Original Box, and receipt in hand. I arrive at the Samsung Experience section and the employee is completely vexed by the phone. He handles it and notices that the phone looks perfect (minus the screen) and that with the glass coming off the screen it would have needed substantial impact to the phone but he isn't seeing any on the sides or any foul play. He says that he is unable to repair the phone or replace it due to it being a warranty issue and thus I contact Samsung Corporate for a warranty replacement. Two employees have now said they see no reason for the screen to have cracked and there is no physical damage to the phone (none to the power button where the crack appears and none anywhere on the phone to suggest damage) and I am thinking that with the Samsung employee right here I should be able to get it replaced under warranty.

I call Samsung Corporate while still at Best Buy and the nightmare begins. I explain the situation, I have the Samsung employee is here to corroborate the condition of the phone being pristine with no physical damage to it but I'm told that even if there is a defect or a problem with the phone, because the screen is damaged that isn't covered under warranty and it will cost $470 to repair (an AT&T insurance claim would be $269.99). What in the actual ****!? I ask them to clarify that position as it seems that they are saying no matter how defective a device is from them, if the screen is damage because of it the warranty is null. I explains that that does not make sense because what if the phone is just defective or faulty from them and causes the screen to crack or LCD to be destroyed. The employee (reading from a script at this point I must assume) just repeats that any screen damage is not covered. The Samsung employee (Samsung experience station, remember, they work for Samsung but are stationed at Best Buys) explains to them that he sees no damage to the device but Samsung corporate will not budge and says that it is not covered.

So now my choices are $470 "warranty" replacement from Samsung that both AT&T and the Samsung/Best Buy employee said should not have happened when looking at the phone or $270 insurance claim through AT&T. This would limit me to no more claims as the cost of the phone would send it past the total amount allowed for claims ($1500 maximum, but the phone is a good $800+ after tax, thus only one claim) and if I have a legitimate claim to make over the next two years I'm just screwed.

After running around the city, multiple phone calls, multiple people explaining that this makes no sense and that it shouldn't have happened I'm left holding the bag. Pissed off that I'm getting told "We don't care about you, give us your money, go **** yourself even if it's a defect" I go to the mobile section of Best Buy (if you've been to a Best Buy recently you know that the Samsung section and Mobile are separate) and purchase a 64 GB Bros Gold iPhone SE.

If I screwed up and dropped the phone or hit something, I would gladly pay the insurance claim through AT&T but being told by their employee and the Samsung employee that the damage made no sense due to the meticulous condition of the phone I feel completely ****ed over. But because of the position of corporate Samsung who ignored their own employee, I will never buy another Samsung device.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	223567
    Their support is the worst. I dread if my Edge gets damaged. My wife's iPhone will never have a problem they just give her a new one. No hassle no fuss
    04-05-2016 05:33 PM
    These are the craziest stories I have ever heard about shattering phones out of thin air. WTF?

Even more bizarre, is Samsung's unwillingness to even examine the damage before making an expensive decision like that.

With all that said, I'm not sure what to think about this. Something just seems off here.

There's a lot of the Galaxy S7 Edge phones that are shattering because of heat. Check out the forms there's more reports of this
    04-05-2016 05:34 PM
    Sorry men...but this is crazy
    04-05-2016 05:39 PM
    Seems like every cracked S7 screen is in the same spot right by the power button.
    RIs4 likes this.
    04-05-2016 05:47 PM
    This not unusual for any phone maker. Just go to any forum, whether Apple, Samsung, LG, etc and you will find reports of screen defects, from broken glass, dead pixels, etc. When you mass produce millions of these phones, some are going to be bad. This will never come close to Apple's bendgate issue of the iPhone 6 Plus. Just so the OP knows, on macrumors, the new SE does not do too well with the bend test. It looks to be weaker than the old iPhone 6 Plus.
    04-05-2016 06:31 PM
    you dont get silver samsungs in the uk they silver ones seems to runs a snapdragon chip in the usa. maybe the chip is running hotter and you left the phone in the car in the sun if your in usa its hot there.
    04-05-2016 06:31 PM
    Are any if these Cracked ones run in cases? Is it a specific case that's causing the issues?

04-05-2016 06:57 PM
    No case on mine.
    04-05-2016 07:02 PM
    I wouldn't drop the issue after talking to just one first line employee at corporate. I would demand to speak to that person's boss. And then if you still get no where, then that person's boss...so on and so on up the tree taking names along the way. I would also make a big scene on social media. Ultimately if nessasary I would file a lawsuit and drag everyone into court with me from the AT&T person to the Samsung Best Buy and corporate people. If is truly a screen defect issue and not a user issue, then the user should not have to pay. The manufacturer should.
    04-05-2016 07:30 PM
    Yep, if you're not getting what you want, your going to have to escalate things.

JHStewart1023 likes this.
    04-05-2016 07:35 PM
    you should of got a better phone than the se theres better phones out there than that.
    04-05-2016 07:43 PM
    I wouldn't drop the issue after talking to just one first line employee at corporate. I would demand to speak to that person's boss. And then if you still get no where, then that person's boss...so on and so on up the tree taking names along the way. I would also make a big scene on social media. Ultimately if nessasary I would file a lawsuit and drag everyone into court with me from the AT&T person to the Samsung Best Buy and corporate people. If is truly a screen defect issue and not a user issue, then the user should not have to pay. The manufacturer should.
    Good luck with that lawsuit threat. You are likely to lose. You will end up having to pay both your lawyer, and their lawyers fees when you lose. You better have hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank before you take on that task. Don't talk silly.
    Miles Kennefick likes this.
    04-05-2016 08:08 PM
    I don't know, this whole shattering screen by osmosis is....well...I'll just leave it alone. lol

Miles Kennefick likes this.
    04-05-2016 08:13 PM
    Good luck with that lawsuit threat. You are likely to lose. You will end up having to pay both your lawyer, and their lawyers fees when you lose. You better have hundreds of thousands of dollars in the bank before you take on that task. Don't talk silly.
    It's not silly. What do you think courts are for? Nothing ventured nothing gained. Defeatist views such as yours allow companies to get away with things.
    04-05-2016 08:30 PM
45 12