Confused about finger prints

komobu

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I do not like security on my phone. I want to be able to pick it up and use it to make a call or what ever without having to enter a code or a pattern. That being said, I would like the fingerprint to be able to be used instead of entering a password. If I do online banking for example, I would like to be able to just enter my fingerprint instead of entering a password. I was hoping to be able to have a data base of websites with passwords, and then access them with my fingerprint instead of entering them in. I would also like to be able to use samsung pay with a fingerprint. It looks like the only way you can use the fingerprint scanner is if you set up a lock screen with it. What a shame. I had such high hopes and am disappointed.

Am I mistaken? Is there a way to use finger prints without a lock screen? Thanks for any help

brava27

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
You are asking way too much. First you say you don't like security then you want it exactly how you want it... Good luck

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the only way you can use the fingerprint scanner is if you set up a lock screen with it.

That is the very nature of the fingerprint scanner. It is a form of security. When you use the fingerprint scanner, it bypasses your use for a password/PIN. The password/PIN is there in case anything should happen to the hardware of the sensor.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you have the FPS set up, having it on the lockscreen shouldn't be that much of an inconvenience.. On an S7, you're hitting that home button to get things rolling anyhow. Plus, you can do some stuff while still behind the lockscreen. Is there any particular issue you are seeing?

munnarg

Trusted Member
Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This is hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. Some bank apps support the fingerprint sensor such as Bank of America, so I don't have to enter a password. Use the Samsung stock browser if you want to be able to sign on to websites using your fingerprint instead of entering passwords. You can enable Simple Pay in the Samsung Pay app which allows you to activate it with the screen off, by swiping up from the home button.

komobu

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I am a mechanic and my hands stay dirty. As a result, I dont want to have to rely on a fingerprint to answer a phone call or respond to a text. I would like to use it for secure websites and using my credit card that is stored in the phone.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I set my wife's fingerprints for her S7 but she doesn't like or want any Unlock method, just plain old swipe to unlock, but her fingerprints are stored on the phone. She can still use Samsung pay and use her fingerprints to validate credentials without issues and the same will happen if you use any other app that requires your FPs.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
As far as using it for specific apps, like banking, I think each app is going to have to be updated to support the fingerprint reader. Now that it's built in to Android, hopefully more banks and such will start to use it.

I say hopefully, but I'm doubtful. Most banks and finance companies haven't even bothered to implement two-factor authentication. They seem to treat security as less important than convenience.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am a mechanic and my hands stay dirty. As a result, I dont want to have to rely on a fingerprint to answer a phone call or respond to a text. I would like to use it for secure websites and using my credit card that is stored in the phone.
You can set up fingerprint and setup trusted location, so fingerprint won't be needed where you get your hands dirty.