Wifi not working with youtube app or play store

A

AC Question

Hi, I have a s7 edge and I am unable to use the youtube app to watch videos. Though I am able to use the browser to watch videos from the YouTube website but I'd rather use the app to have control over the video quality. I am also unable to download or update apps through the play store. All of this is happening through the wifi. When I use the carriers data I am able to do everything just fine. Only way I've found a way around this is by using a vpn service but the speeds are really slow and i would rather just have my wifi. I have tried clearing the cache and data off the youtube app, Google play services/framework, removing my Google account, changing my time and timezone and none of them have worked. I have a feeling it has to do with my location but I live in North Texas so I am really stuck on what I should do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Does this happen on any wi-fi network, or only your own? If it's just your own, try rebooting the router, by unplugging its power for 10 seconds, then plugging back in. If that doesn't work, review this guide: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...roubleshooting-wi-fi-connection-problems.html

It might help to log into the router's settings (see the router manual to learn how) and disable IPv6.

Bartman962

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
I also have the same problem. Youtube app and play store doesn't work over wifi anywhere I go. The problem is the new update. 6.0.1 which is screwing up the wifi. I have called Samsung Support and they said that it's not just the s7 or the s7 edge that is having problems with the wifi, all the new android phones that was just released are having that problem. Google just needs to fix the update.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
There was already an update sent out for the wifi fix. I have no problem with either youtube or play store on my phone. Download speed is excellent on my system using either 2.4 or 5G.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I also have the same problem. Youtube app and play store doesn't work over wifi anywhere I go. The problem is the new update. 6.0.1 which is screwing up the wifi. I have called Samsung Support and they said that it's not just the s7 or the s7 edge that is having problems with the wifi, all the new android phones that was just released are having that problem. Google just needs to fix the update.

That doesn't make much sense to me since Google has phones that are on 6.0.1 that don't have this issue.

Also for the record I'm not having this issue with my S7e. I can't recall EVER having this issue, even before any device updates were sent out.

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Well there are a lot of us that are having issues and using a guest network at home worked for a while, but as of this week it seems the problem is worsening again. I have to keep turning off wifi and turning it back on to reconnect when I get home. No problem anywhere else.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem and it traced back to IPv6 addressing. My cable modem apparently cannot interface properly with the cable internet's IPv6 assignment. What ends up happening is the phone requests an IPv6 address and the router either hands out some bogus crap or nothing based on what it thinks the cable modem is telling it. It messes up the phone's ability to talk to Google or YouTube since they have IPv6 addressing implemented. Shutting off IPv6 address assignment on my router fixed this issue. It may or may not be your problem, but I've seen this on other forums for many users as an issue also.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem and it traced back to IPv6 addressing. My cable modem apparently cannot interface properly with the cable internet's IPv6 assignment. What ends up happening is the phone requests an IPv6 address and the router either hands out some bogus crap or nothing based on what it thinks the cable modem is telling it. It messes up the phone's ability to talk to Google or YouTube since they have IPv6 addressing implemented. Shutting off IPv6 address assignment on my router fixed this issue. It may or may not be your problem, but I've seen this on other forums for many users as an issue also.

Have you tried syncing the IPv6 info. from your modem to your wireless router? A couple months ago, a family member's Android phone (not a new one) stopped working with the Wi-Fi and it turned out that the router's IPv6 settings weren't the same as the cable modem's settings. Fixing that fixed the problem.

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm going way out on limb and guessing you are all on Comcast Internet. I don't have that problem in my house, but just last night I helped someone else with this.

You can get to the youtube pages that list the videos, but when you select a video, you get a network error message?

If this is your problem, go into your WiFi settings for your ssid and change the DNS servers from Comcast 's to 8.8 8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS servers).

I didn't try the Google Play store there, but Comcast (in some areas) is messing with YouTube! Yay net neutrality!!!

I couldn't find where to set the DNS servers for DHCP (I'd appreciate any tips on this) but you can set the DNS for a static IP.

Posted via the Android Central App on the edge

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I use my own Wi-Fi router, not one from Comcast Xfinity, so I can't tell you where to find the settings (I think they have multiple routers they lease out, anyway). I think mine is a D-Link. I use Comcast's modem, but not sure which one it is, as I know they have a bunch. I have X-1 service.

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I use my own Wi-Fi router, not one from Comcast Xfinity, so I can't tell you where to find the settings (I think they have multiple routers they lease out, anyway). I think mine is a D-Link. I use Comcast's modem, but not sure which one it is, as I know they have a bunch. I have X-1 service.

I was asking where you can set the DNS servers within the phone's WiFi setting for the SSID you're trying to connect to.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Ah, sorry! Found it - when setting up the connection (entering the password), tap the checkbox for "Show advanced options", under "IP settings" tap the pull-down (default is "DHCP") and select "Static", then the options will appear. The options are: IP address, Gateway, Network prefix length, DNS 1, and DNS 2. DNS 1 default is 8.8.8.8 and DNS 2 default is 8.8.4.4.

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Ah, sorry! Found it - when setting up the connection (entering the password), tap the checkbox for "Show advanced options", under "IP settings" tap the pull-down (default is "DHCP") and select "Static", then the options will appear. The options are: IP address, Gateway, Network prefix length, DNS 1, and DNS 2. DNS 1 default is 8.8.8.8 and DNS 2 default is 8.8.4.4.

Right. But if you want to use DHCP and not Static (so you don't inadvertently step on another device's IP address and don't want to reset your DHCP range, how do you set the DNS servers?

louzer

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
At my friend's house the DNS servers were set to Comcast's DNS servers which was causing youtube videos not to display. I wanted to change the DNS servers to Google 's but could only access DNS servers if I set up my wife in his home with static IP instead of letting his router deliver a non-conflicting IP address via DHCP.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
Right. But if you want to use DHCP and not Static (so you don't inadvertently step on another device's IP address and don't want to reset your DHCP range, how do you set the DNS servers?

It doesn't let you do that, though there might be an app that will. Just pick a high IP address that isn't likely to be picked, or if you can access the router, set a reserved IP for the phone.

Averix

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried syncing the IPv6 info. from your modem to your wireless router? A couple months ago, a family member's Android phone (not a new one) stopped working with the Wi-Fi and it turned out that the router's IPv6 settings weren't the same as the cable modem's settings. Fixing that fixed the problem.

The actual cable modem has no valid IPv6 address. It's a known issue with several cable companies and cable modem models. Honestly, just turn it off at this point unless you need it for work or something.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney