01-15-2018 03:42 PM
153 12345 ...
tools
    I can't believe that with two of the best phones I have ever owned, the Note 5 and the S7 edge, that it is still a problem where installing an app can drain the battery on either one of these phones i n 7-8 hrs. I have never EVER had that problem on an iPhone.

For the past few days, I have had the AT Bat app installed on my S7 Edge which runs Marshmallow. The battery life is still excellent. I texted someone all night and with 1 day, 6 hrs standby, I have 5 hrs, 15 screen time.

I installed the same app on my Note 5 running Lollipop on Thursday and after unplugging from the charger and leaving it at home just sitting here doing nothing, the battery was at 43% in just 7 hrs. The battery graph looked like a ski slope. After deleting that app, the graph was almost a straight line across after two hours of standby.

Why is this still a problem today? I just don't get it.
    This is my biggest problem with Android. Makes no sense to me. I use the mlb at bat too haven't noticed a problem with it yet but I can have my outlook app or best buy app do the same thing. Not all the time though. I just think there is either a problem with the apps being poorly written or something wrong with Android in keeping those apps awake even if they are closed out. Even so, I will get 5 to 5.5 of screen time.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Dukins and nastynate2002 like this.
    04-09-2016 08:07 AM
    Well since the iPhone 3GS has not been out seven years yet, I'm not sure how you can make that statement. But regardless, I suppose that's only relevant to a person who plans to keep their phone for 7 years. If someone only plans to keep their phone for 2 years or 3 years, and they only need a phone that will endure 2 years or 3 years, don't they?

Just to play Devil's Advocate here - the iPhone 3GS was released on June 9, 2009. Which is two months short of 7 years at this point.

In any case, there's no way I'd hang on to a phone that long.
    04-09-2016 09:28 AM
    I can't believe that with two of the best phones I have ever owned, the Note 5 and the S7 edge, that it is still a problem where installing an app can drain the battery on either one of these phones i n 7-8 hrs. I have never EVER had that problem on an iPhone.

For the past few days, I have had the AT Bat app installed on my S7 Edge which runs Marshmallow. The battery life is still excellent. I texted someone all night and with 1 day, 6 hrs standby, I have 5 hrs, 15 screen time.

I installed the same app on my Note 5 running Lollipop on Thursday and after unplugging from the charger and leaving it at home just sitting here doing nothing, the battery was at 43% in just 7 hrs. The battery graph looked like a ski slope. After deleting that app, the graph was almost a straight line across after two hours of standby.

Why is this still a problem today? I just don't get it.
    At Bat uses Location permissions, it must be pinging location all the time. If you want to see if the location is the issue, just turn Location off and re-install the app and see if it doesn't drain as it just did, problem is that i think the app doesn't work without Location on, if I remember correctly, but at least it can help you to pinpoint the culprit.
    04-09-2016 09:37 AM
    This is my biggest problem with Android. Makes no sense to me. I use the mlb at bat too haven't noticed a problem with it yet but I can have my outlook app or best buy app do the same thing. Not all the time though. I just think there is either a problem with the apps being poorly written or something wrong with Android in keeping those apps awake even if they are closed out. Even so, I will get 5 to 5.5 of screen time.

It's a combination of Location settings in many apps and Google Location History, try turning off Location History (a proven battery drainer since Google removed Location reporting and incorporated into the Location History) and see if it gets better, I think it will.
    04-09-2016 09:40 AM
    At Bat uses Location permissions, it must be pinging location all the time. If you want to see if the location is the issue, just turn Location off and re-install the app and see if it doesn't drain as it just did, problem is that i think the app doesn't work without Location on, if I remember correctly, but at least it can help you to pinpoint the culprit.
    It won't let me use the app to watch games with location settings off because TV and blackout rights.

04-09-2016 09:48 AM
    It won't let me use the app to watch games with location settings off because TV and blackout rights.

Yes, that's what I mentioned to NexusGirlX, but in her case at least can help to find the culprit, if it's that, then she can act about it.

For you, you must leave location on, but you don't need Location History on, do you have it on? If so, turn it off and see if it helps.
    04-09-2016 10:22 AM
    I moved from the iPhone 6s Plus to the S7 edge and I never looked back. I loved the battery life on the iPhone 6s Plus, but I hated most everything else about it. I don't like Apple's ecosystem. I didn't like that I had to have all of my apps littered on the homescreen, even with those customized little folders. I did like 3D touch, but I don't miss it. The retina display also doesn't "pop" like the SAMOLED screens on Samsung phones. Plus the free Gear S2 that Verizon was offering (a $500 smartwatch!) was also enticing.
    jdfry15 and Ntbook like this.
    04-09-2016 11:11 AM
    6s plus will charge in about 2 - 2.5 hours @ 2A Charger, and a S7 Edge will alway require almost 2 hours @ Quick Charge 2.0. Both require special chargers (Samsung requires not only a 2A charger but also a Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 compatible charger)
    LOL. Are you being serious? It took my 6s Plus over 3 hours to charge up from 0%. My S7 edge charges up in a little over an hour!

I get that people are fans of a product or to a brand, but don't get delusional.
    04-09-2016 11:16 AM

Outlook was also a problem for me. I tried using it so I could get all my iCloud email on it and that app gave me some of the worst battery life as well.
    I deleted it after a day.
    04-09-2016 11:26 AM
    LOL. Are you being serious? It took my 6s Plus over 3 hours to charge up from 0%. My S7 edge charges up in a little over an hour!

I get that people are fans of a product or to a brand, but don't get delusional.

Many people don't realize this but Apple has been including an underpowered charger with the 6+/6S+. I discovered that when I used the charger for an iPad Air (not an iPad Mini charger either), the iPhone 6+/6S+ would charge much faster.

It's still nowhere as fast at charging as any of my Samsung phones but it is faster with an iPad charger instead of the included charger.
    JHStewart1023 likes this.
    04-09-2016 11:32 AM
    I've owned every iPhone except for the 5 and 6. Currently, I have the 5S, 6+, 6S and the 6S+.

The S7 Edge is the first Android phone that has made me actually put all of those iPhones back in their boxes and put them in a drawer. I haven't used them in a month.

To me, nothing beats the screen quality as well as everything else the S7 Edge brings. This is the phone I've been waiting for all these years.

Apple is rumored to be going with AMOLED displays for the 7. Hopefully that is true.
    You are like my gemini twin or something This is exactly what i have done. I have two nos i keep and one is on an Asus Zenfone 2 (don't ask but it's a 256 gb onboard edition for audio use +fiio q1) and the main driver is the S7. I have my 6p lying around and the 6s+ sitting in the drawer since start of march
    04-09-2016 11:43 AM
    Many people don't realize this but Apple has been including an underpowered charger with the 6+/6S+. I discovered that when I used the charger for an iPad Air (not an iPad Mini charger either), the iPhone 6+/6S+ would charge much faster.

It's still nowhere as fast at charging as any of my Samsung phones but it is faster with an iPad charger instead of the included charger.
    You're exactly right. I never used the included charger for my iPhones. Always used an iPad charger or a 2.4a charger or higher. Charges MUCH faster.
    04-09-2016 11:54 AM

I didn't have an iPad so I used the charger that came with the phone.
    04-09-2016 12:17 PM
    It might be worth it for you or anyone else who may still use a 6+/6S+ to pick one up at a store or buy a used one on eBay. You will be surprised.

I gave the included 6+ charger a few hours to charge the first time and it was painfully slow. I already knew that the iPad Air charger would be faster so I gave up on the first charge and started using the Air charger.
    04-09-2016 12:21 PM
    Yeah you have to use an iPad charger to get the fastest charge. The charger that Apple gives is almost like giving the S7 a standard brick instead of a "fast charge" brick. When I had my iPhone 6 Plus (and right now for my gf's iPhone 6S Plus) I just bought the $20 brick off Amazon and it makes a world of a difference.
    04-09-2016 01:20 PM
    Switched from my iPhone as well. No regrets. Yes with the iPad charger it will charge faster but it's not as fast as the Samsung or other manufactures fast charge.

Apple makes fine devices but the are far from perfect. Nothing is.
    04-09-2016 03:24 PM
    I switched twice. Both times I've gone back to iOS. Android is great for people who want to customize every day and who want a little more control over their OS but for me, having working services that are built in like iMessage and FaceTime are more important. iMessage handles messages in an extremely efficient way and is best at handling picture or video sharing. FaceTime is great for iOS users, which most of my family use, and generally has better video quality than many of the offerings in the Play Store from my experiences. Games and apps are on par for both although there are apps I prefer on iOS compared to Android and vice versa. The camera on the S7 is great but I feel like it is not better than the iPhone 6s Plus. They're about the same. Love photos being included in iOS are pretty cool too so that's a nice bonus. The 32gb on the S7 gets full quick and I'm not a huge fan of SD cards and I have a 75% full 128gb iPhone.

Overall the S7 was smooth and a great phone, but not for me. Too many compromises on messaging and video calling were too much. Hope this helps.
    nastynate2002 likes this.
    04-09-2016 03:42 PM
    I moved from an iPhone 6S+

I'm mostly happy but not fully. The ergonomics and screen are superior to the iPhone even with the odd glitchy response from catching the edge panel when using.

The worst problem for me is Google maps. On android it's terrible. The other night driving in London it couldn't even keep up with my position causing us to miss turns. We had to switch to the wife's iPhone 6S which had none of the problems.

I've tried setting it to GPS only or with WiFi scanning and it's often really laggy.

I find that dissapointng. A friend of mine with an S7 said he has the same issue with it. Not sure if it's a S7 edge problem, an android problem or Google maps itself. Either way , never had the problem with my iPhone.

The other complaint is degraded stability. After a few days of usage I notice the odd glitchy behavior in the OS and browsing but a reboot fixes it. Never had that problem with the iPhone either. I think in general Safari on the iPhone is a much better browser than Chrome (or Samsung Internet) is. Just more consistent , more reliable and I prefer the way bookmarks are accessed in safari.

I find the OS in general though much more flexible and enjoyable to use. Including being more responsive than my iPhone was.

I'm on the fence as to whether I will stick with Android in the long run.

The problems above may swing me back to iPhone. Especially Google maps which is quite frankly an embarrassment in terms of performance.
    04-09-2016 03:53 PM
    Customization is good on Android, but who customizes these days.
    Huh? Customization is the heart of Android...it's the VERY concept that keeps me from owning a Jony Ive idea of what a phone should be. I like my own ideas, not his nor anyone else's.

However...Android/Google has LOUSY control over their apps. They run rogue and screw up the phone quite often especially with this MM update. It drives me so mad I almost want to jump ship...but not quite.
    04-09-2016 04:25 PM
    I moved from an iPhone 6S+

I'm mostly happy but not fully. The ergonomics and screen are superior to the iPhone even with the odd glitchy response from catching the edge panel when using.

The worst problem for me is Google maps. On android it's terrible. The other night driving in London it couldn't even keep up with my position causing us to miss turns. We had to switch to the wife's iPhone 6S which had none of the problems.

I've tried setting it to GPS only or with WiFi scanning and it's often really laggy.

I find that dissapointng. A friend of mine with an S7 said he has the same issue with it. Not sure if it's a S7 edge problem, an android problem or Google maps itself. Either way , never had the problem with my iPhone.

The other complaint is degraded stability. After a few days of usage I notice the odd glitchy behavior in the OS and browsing but a reboot fixes it. Never had that problem with the iPhone either. I think in general Safari on the iPhone is a much better browser than Chrome (or Samsung Internet) is. Just more consistent , more reliable and I prefer the way bookmarks are accessed in safari.

I find the OS in general though much more flexible and enjoyable to use. Including being more responsive than my iPhone was.

I'm on the fence as to whether I will stick with Android in the long run.

The problems above may swing me back to iPhone. Especially Google maps which is quite frankly an embarrassment in terms of performance.
    i travel a lot in the usa, and with the various android phones i had, google maps usually worked great. however there have been a few times where i'd get to a new city and the phone would have a hard time finding where its at.
    usually force closing the app and restarting it, would fix the issue.
    04-09-2016 05:13 PM
    Wow.. well the whole thing is I know a lot of people that made the switch from iPhone to the galaxy series this year... a lot actually. And I love my galaxy. Just sold the iPhone on swappa, and not looking back 😀

areyes163 likes this.
    04-09-2016 06:56 PM
    A co-worker told me he gave up his iPhone for a Note 5 because according to him, iOS apps crashed on him more often than Android apps did.This didn't sound possible to me, given how often iPhone owners claimed that "it just works," but I Googled it, and sure enough, there are studies that show that iOS apps do indeed crash more often than Android. See for instance:
    https://gigaom.com/2014/03/28/study-...-than-android/ ( note that I added to this to provide the correct link)
    04-09-2016 11:51 PM
    Why do you spend hours on an Android site if you hate it so much?
    04-10-2016 12:15 AM
    I switched from an iPhone 6 and really like the S7E so far. I also switched from Tmo to Vzw which has made an even bigger difference (you really get what you pay for in cellular service). From a phone/OS perspective though...Android still isn't as polished and pretty or smooth as iOS is, no arguing that. But there's so much the phone does that the iPhone can't. Camera is better by a mile, no comparison. Samsung pay is amazing and extremely useful and I just love the theming engine. It really allows you to make your device look and feel totally different and unique. I personally really enjoy both platforms and own both I love my iPad Air 2 (reading and writing with the iPad now.) In the end, it really boils down to what your priorities are and if you like tinkering with your phone and don't mind a little lack of polish then go for the S7. If you don't care about customization and just want something that works stick with iOS. Either way you wont be disappointed.
    04-10-2016 01:20 AM
    I think you nailed it, I'm in the opposite camp but totally get it. iMessage and FaceTime are so great, I hate that I don't have those features anymore...if Apple made those available on the play store it would be game over but I don't see that happening anytime soon
    04-10-2016 01:32 AM
153 12345 ...