Update from iPhone Users who switched

nickster0824

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey everyone! I'm still contemplating switching from my iPhone 6S to a S7 Edge!

With that said, the phone has been out for over a month now. I wanted to see if people who switched from an iPhone to the S7 Edge can chime in and give some reviews or thoughts on how they are doing.

For example:
If they like it compared to the 6S... troubles you're having... any stuttering or software issues. Just a generalization.

I'm big on stuttering or software lag, hopefully it's as smooth as iOS from what I've heard. I always loved how smooth iOS was, for my experiences at least.

Thank you! Hope to hear from many switched users!

Mahender Shahani

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
It's been 3 weeks since I've switched from an iPhone 6s plus to the s7 edge. This phone is blazing fast and I haven't experienced lags. So far I'm very happy with the s7 edge. The camera is amazing.

Eddster

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I only switched this week from my iPhone 6s Plus to the S7 Edge, but so far so good. This phone is buttery smooth and I've fallen completely in love with this amazing screen. No problems to report so far. I don't even miss my iPhone yet.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I came from a 6S plus and I don't miss it one bit. I've had no issues so far. I love this device. You can always return it if you don't like it.

walsted

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I also recently switched from an iPhone 6S Plus - the S7E is amazing, fast and beautiful. I sometimes plug my SIM card back into the iPhone - but quickly go back again. Only thing I miss (sometimes) is Facetime, but have gotten people to ping me on Facebook Video instead :)

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I keep going back and forth from the iphone 6s plus and the edge. The edge is great, and the battery is great for an android phone. I do think that the iphone and ios has better polish on the os and apps. The screen is amazing on the edge though.

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I had an iphone 6s and was reasonably happy with it. It performs quiet well etc but this phone (given that it only costs an extra 100 bucks here) in comparison to what i paid for the 6s! This phone puts the 6s to shame. More memory, Far superior camera imo, Its Faster , Fantastic screen etc Dont get me wrong, The iphone is not a bad phone by any means but you gotta be deluded to use both and insist the iphone is better! The s7 edge is far superior and far better value for money!! I do miss one or two small things about the iphone but nothing i cant live without!

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I like them both and go back and forth between platforms regularly. The iPhone and apps are more polished, but this phone is the best android device I have ever used. It is my daily driver until at least the fall. FYI I came from a 6sPlus.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone! I'm still contemplating switching from my iPhone 6S to a S7 Edge!

With that said, the phone has been out for over a month now. I wanted to see if people who switched from an iPhone to the S7 Edge can chime in and give some reviews or thoughts on how they are doing.

For example:
If they like it compared to the 6S... troubles you're having... any stuttering or software issues. Just a generalization.

I'm big on stuttering or software lag, hopefully it's as smooth as iOS from what I've heard. I always loved how smooth iOS was, for my experiences at least.

Thank you! Hope to hear from many switched users!

Watch Erica Griffin's review of the S7 Edge on Youtube.

The Snapdragon (US) version drops frames left and right, so it's not nearly as smooth as an iOS device.

The reason to use S7 Edge are:

Better Camera, front and back
Bigger Screen/better battery than the 6S (not as good as 6S Plus)
Samsung Pay
If you like Android
SD Card

Otherwise, everything else is pretty much worse on the Android ecosystem and/or S7 Edge.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Watch Erica Griffin's review of the S7 Edge on Youtube.

The Snapdragon (US) version drops frames left and right, so it's not nearly as smooth as an iOS device.

The reason to use S7 Edge are:

Better Camera, front and back
Bigger Screen/better battery than the 6S (not as good as 6S Plus)
Samsung Pay
If you like Android
SD Card

Otherwise, everything else is pretty much worse on the Android ecosystem and/or S7 Edge.

thats a pretty bold statement.:-\
sure, ios is good at things, but android is better at some things too, for example, notifications, multitasking, widgets, and maps are better on android. and the customization that android allows cant be beat.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
thats a pretty bold statement.:-\
sure, ios is good at things, but android is better at some things too, for example, notifications, multitasking, widgets, and maps are better on android. and the customization that android allows cant be beat.

Customization is good on Android, but who customizes these days. Make it look like stock AOSP and everyone's happy.

Google Maps ironically is worse on Android, choppy FPS. Although it might get a few features before iOS.

Notifications are the same, I actually much prefer iOS notification controls - one place to control all app notifications.

Multitasking is the same. Except on Samsung's phones which are actually worse, because it keeps like 8 apps in memory on 4gb of RAM compared to iOS which can do like 12 on 2gb of RAM.

Widgets exist on iOS, it's just in the Notification Pulldown rather than on the screen.

nickster0824

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I've actually been using a friends S7 Edge for a week now and here are some things I noticed.

Customization is one of the best things on android. For me, it's pretty much using different themes.

Apps I feel are better optimized on iOS. On my iPhone 6S, they definitely feel more smooth and fluid. No lag at any point. Just as how Jinzen pointed out, Google Maps is more fluid and not choppy at all.

I like how notifications is set up on the iPhone where it is all in one location and separated by the apps. It's very neat and easy to look at is how I would describe it.

Widgets on both are set up different but again, on the iPhone, it's set up almost as a Notification Center BUT I actually like that. It helps me view all my widgets in the same spot and by scrolling I can see and update myself on things I like to see real fast.
For example, I can check my favorite teams scores, current weather, stocks I follow and calendar in a matter of seconds and I'm good to go.

For the S7 Edge, some things are undeniably better....
- The screen quality
- The camera I feel is absolutely amazing compared to the 6S (Especially in Pro Mode!)
- Aesthetics - 5.5 inch in that size is incredible
- Battery life compares to my 6S. (Have been averaging 7 hours SOT which is what I get on my 6S)
- File management (I have never needed that but it's a good feature)

I'm sure I'm missing some things on both ends but that's all I got for now.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site

Umm...

Screen to body ratio is WAY better on the edge compared to plus, you also left off wireless charging, IP68, fast charging, the ability to customize using launchers icons, real widgets not iOS wannabe widgets , far superior screen tech, camera smokes iPhone all day.

And notifications? The notification shade on iOS feels like an after though, you could never use it ever and it makes no difference, Android feels connection with the way this handled it's epicenter of the device and centralized location of information.

I could go on and on, I am not knocking iOS I use it often but you cut be so narrow.

Apple sells dated hardware for premiums and people line up to buy, I get its easy but they are far from pushing the limits.

Polish and performance of apps is absolutely going to be different, Android runs apps in VM based on Java and if you have ever done any native android development it's painful compared to iOS.

Pros and cons I guess but having the freedom to choose is pretty nice.

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I do not understand the constant claims of lag when android gets compared to ios. I have owned various android handsets and honestly NEVER found lag an issue!! I genuienly feel they are every bit as smooth as ios! The apps are more polished on ios but i have no complaints with them on android at the same time. I also personally prefer the google play store! The main thing i miss about the 6s is the fact it felt more comfortable and easier with one handed use.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Umm...

Screen to body ratio is WAY better on the edge compared to plus, you also left off wireless charging, IP68, fast charging, the ability to customize using launchers icons, real widgets not iOS wannabe widgets , far superior screen tech, camera smokes iPhone all day.

And notifications? The notification shade on iOS feels like an after though, you could never use it ever and it makes no difference, Android feels connection with the way this handled it's epicenter of the device and centralized location of information.

I could go on and on, I am not knocking iOS I use it often but you cut be so narrow.

Apple sells dated hardware for premiums and people line up to buy, I get its easy but they are far from pushing the limits.

Polish and performance of apps is absolutely going to be different, Android runs apps in VM based on Java and if you have ever done any native android development it's painful compared to iOS.

Pros and cons I guess but having the freedom to choose is pretty nice.

Wireless charging is convenient, hardly a key feature. Especially since S7 Edge uses a non-reversible USB.
Fast Charging is the same on the iPhone. Takes the same amount of time to charge, if not less time on the iPhone @ 2A.
Far superior screen tech? Like AMOLEDs that eventually burn in and wink out over time and turn to yellow? Besides some power saving, AMOLED is pointless on a tiny device like a phone. Looks nice on a 70" TV though, still, NOT a superior tech that has a definite lifespan to the organic diodes that degrade quickly over time. I'll take the iPad Pro's LCD ANY DAY.

I might be biased though. I own a Note 5, S7 Edge, Macbook Pro, an iPad Pro and an iPad Mini. Android has NO features I prefer, and ONLY drawbacks to being an inferior operating system. The only redeeming factors are the device themselves, with superior cameras, Samsung pay, beautiful design, SD card etc. The software honestly is an embarrassment to Google, (and Samsung), as they still don't even control their own security updates from the carriers and are always 6 months behind the Nexus phones.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Well then I guess all we can say is enjoy your iPhone, that's what is great about it all, you can choose.

I don't have an iPhone. But damn do I wish the S7 Edge ran iOS instead of Android.

I will be getting an iPhone 7 and probably a Note 6 in the Fall, then probably an S8 next year etc... Like every year I own every Flagship Android and iPhone for a little while before I settle on using one for the majority of it.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I love the s7 series.... seriously haven't even wanted to go back to iOS... I know a lot of my iPhone friends are like really?! And I said try the s7 or the edge and you will love what it does and what it can do. So happy I made the switch back to android

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Wireless charging is convenient, hardly a key feature. Especially since S7 Edge uses a non-reversible USB.
Fast Charging is the same on the iPhone. Takes the same amount of time to charge, if not less time on the iPhone @ 2A.
Far superior screen tech? Like AMOLEDs that eventually burn in and wink out over time and turn to yellow? Besides some power saving, AMOLED is pointless on a tiny device like a phone. Looks nice on a 70" TV though, still, NOT a superior tech that has a definite lifespan to the organic diodes that degrade quickly over time. I'll take the iPad Pro's LCD ANY DAY.

IPhone charges faster than S7?? My wife's 6S takes almost twice the amount of time to charge compared to my S6. Amoled burnin, seriously?? Talk about claiming on legacy screens....I think ios is much more stable os overall, I give apple credit with the optimization, hardware build and fluid experience... But some things are better for what Samsung has delivered, seems like you're having a difficult time admitting it...im still stuck on you claiming charging is faster on the iPhone... Wow...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney