Update from iPhone Users who switched

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I've owned every iPhone except for the 5 and 6. Currently, I have the 5S, 6+, 6S and the 6S+.

The S7 Edge is the first Android phone that has made me actually put all of those iPhones back in their boxes and put them in a drawer. I haven't used them in a month.

To me, nothing beats the screen quality as well as everything else the S7 Edge brings. This is the phone I've been waiting for all these years.

Apple is rumored to be going with AMOLED displays for the 7. Hopefully that is true.

You are like my gemini twin or something This is exactly what i have done. I have two nos i keep and one is on an Asus Zenfone 2 (don't ask but it's a 256 gb onboard edition for audio use +fiio q1) and the main driver is the S7. I have my 6p lying around and the 6s+ sitting in the drawer since start of march

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Many people don't realize this but Apple has been including an underpowered charger with the 6+/6S+. I discovered that when I used the charger for an iPad Air (not an iPad Mini charger either), the iPhone 6+/6S+ would charge much faster.

It's still nowhere as fast at charging as any of my Samsung phones but it is faster with an iPad charger instead of the included charger.

You're exactly right. I never used the included charger for my iPhones. Always used an iPad charger or a 2.4a charger or higher. Charges MUCH faster.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Many people don't realize this but Apple has been including an underpowered charger with the 6+/6S+. I discovered that when I used the charger for an iPad Air (not an iPad Mini charger either), the iPhone 6+/6S+ would charge much faster.

It's still nowhere as fast at charging as any of my Samsung phones but it is faster with an iPad charger instead of the included charger.

I didn't have an iPad so I used the charger that came with the phone.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

It might be worth it for you or anyone else who may still use a 6+/6S+ to pick one up at a store or buy a used one on eBay. You will be surprised.

I gave the included 6+ charger a few hours to charge the first time and it was painfully slow. I already knew that the iPad Air charger would be faster so I gave up on the first charge and started using the Air charger.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah you have to use an iPad charger to get the fastest charge. The charger that Apple gives is almost like giving the S7 a standard brick instead of a "fast charge" brick. When I had my iPhone 6 Plus (and right now for my gf's iPhone 6S Plus) I just bought the $20 brick off Amazon and it makes a world of a difference.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
Switched from my iPhone as well. No regrets. Yes with the iPad charger it will charge faster but it's not as fast as the Samsung or other manufactures fast charge.

Apple makes fine devices but the are far from perfect. Nothing is.

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I switched twice. Both times I've gone back to iOS. Android is great for people who want to customize every day and who want a little more control over their OS but for me, having working services that are built in like iMessage and FaceTime are more important. iMessage handles messages in an extremely efficient way and is best at handling picture or video sharing. FaceTime is great for iOS users, which most of my family use, and generally has better video quality than many of the offerings in the Play Store from my experiences. Games and apps are on par for both although there are apps I prefer on iOS compared to Android and vice versa. The camera on the S7 is great but I feel like it is not better than the iPhone 6s Plus. They're about the same. Love photos being included in iOS are pretty cool too so that's a nice bonus. The 32gb on the S7 gets full quick and I'm not a huge fan of SD cards and I have a 75% full 128gb iPhone.

Overall the S7 was smooth and a great phone, but not for me. Too many compromises on messaging and video calling were too much. Hope this helps.

lewchenko

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I moved from an iPhone 6S+

I'm mostly happy but not fully. The ergonomics and screen are superior to the iPhone even with the odd glitchy response from catching the edge panel when using.

The worst problem for me is Google maps. On android it's terrible. The other night driving in London it couldn't even keep up with my position causing us to miss turns. We had to switch to the wife's iPhone 6S which had none of the problems.

I've tried setting it to GPS only or with WiFi scanning and it's often really laggy.

I find that dissapointng. A friend of mine with an S7 said he has the same issue with it. Not sure if it's a S7 edge problem, an android problem or Google maps itself. Either way , never had the problem with my iPhone.

The other complaint is degraded stability. After a few days of usage I notice the odd glitchy behavior in the OS and browsing but a reboot fixes it. Never had that problem with the iPhone either. I think in general Safari on the iPhone is a much better browser than Chrome (or Samsung Internet) is. Just more consistent , more reliable and I prefer the way bookmarks are accessed in safari.

I find the OS in general though much more flexible and enjoyable to use. Including being more responsive than my iPhone was.

I'm on the fence as to whether I will stick with Android in the long run.

The problems above may swing me back to iPhone. Especially Google maps which is quite frankly an embarrassment in terms of performance.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Customization is good on Android, but who customizes these days.

Huh? Customization is the heart of Android...it's the VERY concept that keeps me from owning a Jony Ive idea of what a phone should be. I like my own ideas, not his nor anyone else's.

However...Android/Google has LOUSY control over their apps. They run rogue and screw up the phone quite often especially with this MM update. It drives me so mad I almost want to jump ship...but not quite.

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I moved from an iPhone 6S+

I'm mostly happy but not fully. The ergonomics and screen are superior to the iPhone even with the odd glitchy response from catching the edge panel when using.

The worst problem for me is Google maps. On android it's terrible. The other night driving in London it couldn't even keep up with my position causing us to miss turns. We had to switch to the wife's iPhone 6S which had none of the problems.

I've tried setting it to GPS only or with WiFi scanning and it's often really laggy.

I find that dissapointng. A friend of mine with an S7 said he has the same issue with it. Not sure if it's a S7 edge problem, an android problem or Google maps itself. Either way , never had the problem with my iPhone.

The other complaint is degraded stability. After a few days of usage I notice the odd glitchy behavior in the OS and browsing but a reboot fixes it. Never had that problem with the iPhone either. I think in general Safari on the iPhone is a much better browser than Chrome (or Samsung Internet) is. Just more consistent , more reliable and I prefer the way bookmarks are accessed in safari.

I find the OS in general though much more flexible and enjoyable to use. Including being more responsive than my iPhone was.

I'm on the fence as to whether I will stick with Android in the long run.

The problems above may swing me back to iPhone. Especially Google maps which is quite frankly an embarrassment in terms of performance.

i travel a lot in the usa, and with the various android phones i had, google maps usually worked great. however there have been a few times where i'd get to a new city and the phone would have a hard time finding where its at.
usually force closing the app and restarting it, would fix the issue.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow.. well the whole thing is I know a lot of people that made the switch from iPhone to the galaxy series this year... a lot actually. And I love my galaxy. Just sold the iPhone on swappa, and not looking back 😀

Posted via the Android Central App

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
A co-worker told me he gave up his iPhone for a Note 5 because according to him, iOS apps crashed on him more often than Android apps did.This didn't sound possible to me, given how often iPhone owners claimed that "it just works," but I Googled it, and sure enough, there are studies that show that iOS apps do indeed crash more often than Android. See for instance:
https://gigaom.com/2014/03/28/study-shows-ios-apps-crash-more-than-android/ ( note that I added to this to provide the correct link)

Last edited:

nastynate2002

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I switched from an iPhone 6 and really like the S7E so far. I also switched from Tmo to Vzw which has made an even bigger difference (you really get what you pay for in cellular service). From a phone/OS perspective though...Android still isn't as polished and pretty or smooth as iOS is, no arguing that. But there's so much the phone does that the iPhone can't. Camera is better by a mile, no comparison. Samsung pay is amazing and extremely useful and I just love the theming engine. It really allows you to make your device look and feel totally different and unique. I personally really enjoy both platforms and own both I love my iPad Air 2 (reading and writing with the iPad now.) In the end, it really boils down to what your priorities are and if you like tinkering with your phone and don't mind a little lack of polish then go for the S7. If you don't care about customization and just want something that works stick with iOS. Either way you wont be disappointed.

nastynate2002

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I think you nailed it, I'm in the opposite camp but totally get it. iMessage and FaceTime are so great, I hate that I don't have those features anymore...if Apple made those available on the play store it would be game over but I don't see that happening anytime soon

nastynate2002

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Well Apple already uses AMOLED on the Apple Watch. They could use AMOLED if they wanted to, and it doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon.

Every Apple display is usually a top rated display from Retina iMacs to iPads, and AMOLED is not used by industry professionals. I do not want AMOLED on my devices that will be showing a lot of static images due to AMOLED degradation, but don't mind it on stuff like TVs or watches.

Seems like you got this all figured out @Jinzen?!? Curious, what is your ideal device? I'd assume iPhone but you aren't really pushing it, just seem to have negative things to say about Amoled and Android...all for good discussion but it seems like you aren't really looking for that, rather pushing an agenda that I can't really understand

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I think you nailed it, I'm in the opposite camp but totally get it. iMessage and FaceTime are so great, I hate that I don't have those features anymore...if Apple made those available on the play store it would be game over but I don't see that happening anytime soon

As I've never used those apps before, what is good about imessage and facetime?

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys, Been an iPhone used since the first one back in 07, but just made the switch for the S7 Edge :)

I love it, but am having one really annoying issue that I cant figure out :-(

On iOS, I can lock the ringer volume so that you cant alter it with the volume buttons. Now I'm sure android must have this, but I'd be damned if I can find it lol
I keep going to turn the volume down before a video starts playing etc, and it keeps turning the ringer volume down and its driving me mad!

Can anyone help??

Cheers :)

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
A co-worker told me he gave up his iPhone for a Note 5 because according to him, iOS apps crashed on him more often than Android apps did.This didn't sound possible to me, given how often iPhone owners claimed that "it just works," but I Googled it, and sure enough, there are studies that show that iOS apps do indeed crash more often than Android apps. See for instance: http://betanews.com/2015/03/03/android-apps-crash-more-than-ios-apps/

Did you read the article you're quoting? It says the opposite. Try a quote:

". Android may be the most popular choice at the moment, but this appears to be in spite of problems the platform suffers form.

A new report from Crittercism suggests that Android apps crash more frequently than their iOS counterparts. But this is not the only bad news for Google’s mobile operating system; the report also finds that the fragmentation of Android persists."