Update from iPhone Users who switched

Jtshurtleff

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
As I've never used those apps before, what is good about imessage and facetime?

iMessage is encrypted much like BBM is, shows read receipts if chosen and delivery confirmation. Sending videos and pictures is a snap and videos don't get compressed like they do in a text message. It's built in so there's no extra app, just send a message as if you're sending a text and it figures it out (though not always if someone is switching from an iPhone) and sends the right way.

FaceTime is more of a convenience thing since all iPhones since the 4 have it. It's a nice tool for calling grandparents or babies and works across the world for free on wifi. Also, since iOS 7 you can make voice calls with it. Being a built in app makes it more accessible to more people on iOS than say Skype or Tango.

Hope that was a decent explanation.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Did you read the article you're quoting? It says the opposite. Try a quote:

". Android may be the most popular choice at the moment, but this appears to be in spite of problems the platform suffers form.

A new report from Crittercism suggests that Android apps crash more frequently than their iOS counterparts. But this is not the only bad news for Google’s mobile operating system; the report also finds that the fragmentation of Android persists."

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2476755,00.asp
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455622,00.asp
https://gigaom.com/2014/03/28/study-shows-ios-apps-crash-more-than-android/

Posted via the Android Central App

keri2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
No regrets! I love that it now surpasses the iPhone in so many ways. I was terribly frustrated with the S5 but Samsung has fixed every issue and their interface is really amazing now. The edge feature is kickass and once you get used to using the back button at the bottom it is so much more convenient than reaching for the top left of the phone to go back. This phone is just so versatile. The ONLY issue is that my bank does not yet support Android or Samsung pay and I used that all the time on the iPhone. They did say coming soon though.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know what the guy talking about burn in on the screen is talking about. Unless you have it set to a particular screen like they do at stores for 24/7, I've never seen an AMOLED phone with burn in. My sister has an S3 which is what 4 years old now? And it has no trace of burn in. She texts like crazy so if there was a burn in problem, it would have appeared on her phone. The fact he has multiple phones with burn in points to his use. I've never had burn in issues with any amoled phone... (Hint, Samsung is not the only phones to use amoled displays and no burn in with those phones either).

nastynate2002

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
As I've never used those apps before, what is good about imessage and facetime?

It's just a seamless messaging/communication app. Super clean and works every time. Very easy to use, incorporate photos/videos in texts. FaceTime is just video calling but again it really works well. Hard to explain, you have to use it to really understand the value. It's also only really valuable if there are other iMessage/FaceTime users so if you don't text/FaceTime with other iOS users then it's not really useful

anon(8849884)

Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Came from the 6S Plus. Like Android to customize and choose what you want. Agree with those who said apps are smoother on iOS. S7 Edges apps are not as quick or developed, I am also getting used to the screen wrapped around the edge of the phone, eventually it won't be a bother. Screen quality is far superior on the S7, not even close IMO. Battery is better on S7 and wireless charging is a plus. Fingerprint scanner is good on the S7 but not as fast or accurate as the 6S Plus. I would say the quality is that of the 6 Plus which is acceptable. Samsung pay puts apple pay to shame, camera is a bit better on S7. I am still getting used to not having iCloud and the ability to store photos in cloud, as I used the google cloud/drive more this will surely decrease my dependence on iCloud. The thing I miss the most is iMessage. Most of the people I message have iPhones. I have a Mac and miss the iMessage capability on there and sending videos on iMessage without needing to download a separate messaging app for quality. It also does cross my mind that messaging apps on Android may be less secure than iMessage. FYI I've had my S7 Edge for about a month. I do not regret leaving Apple and eventually will get accustomed to the Android ecosystem again. I have seen rumors Apple may move iMessage to other platforms which would really eliminate most of the hassle I've had.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Just use Google photo for cloud storage of images, it's brilliant tool and comes with 10g free if I am not mistaken.

tnt4

Mar 31, 2015
Visit site
iMessage is a real problem if you have lots of iMessage groups. VERY frustrating transition in that scenario.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I don't know what the guy talking about burn in on the screen is talking about. Unless you have it set to a particular screen like they do at stores for 24/7, I've never seen an AMOLED phone with burn in. My sister has an S3 which is what 4 years old now? And it has no trace of burn in. She texts like crazy so if there was a burn in problem, it would have appeared on her phone. The fact he has multiple phones with burn in points to his use. I've never had burn in issues with any amoled phone... (Hint, Samsung is not the only phones to use amoled displays and no burn in with those phones either).

Let me Google that for you.... (pretends to Google AMOLED burn in for the hundreds of threads that exist with Moto phones, Nexus 6P, etc)

ogio

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Let me Google that for you.... (pretends to Google AMOLED burn in for the hundreds of threads that exist with Moto phones, Nexus 6P, etc)

i dont see how one can get burn-in, unless you're somehow leaving the screen on all the time....at full brightness. but who and why would someone do that?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the S7 and the iPhone SE. I had the 6 and 6S+ (+ is too big, bigger than a note)
First off, the S7 is amazing. Killer camera, fast, feels amazing in the hand, like a fine piece of jewelry.
Feels like its worth $700. Widgets are awesome. (real widgets)
Has fast charge, water resist, SD card... I personally Love Touchwiz, has lots of great features.

I simply can't stay on One platform. iOS apps just have a polish that Android will never have because they have to support the OS all the way back to 2.3 which probably still has 30% of the market.
Android apps have to be "dumbed down" to be able to run on the lowest common denominator.
Starbucks app is a good example. it's bare bones and clumsy compared to the iOS version.
When I walk into Starbucks, the apple wallet automatically brings the Starbucks app up on the lock screen. Soon as I light the phone up, I just swipe and a bar code pops up. Not even close on Android.
And comically, most google apps run better on iOS than they do android.

I also love Apple Notes app. it syncs to my iMac via iCloud and I can't find anything else the does it so perfectly. I also miss airplay to my apple TV. Haven't tried a Chromcast yet, not sure if that works like the apple TV.

On the other side. Samsung has this killer program you can DL from samsung web site called SideSync.
it works on Mac and Windows and it's pretty dam awesome.
You can do everything you can do on the phone, on your computer monitor instead, including texting etc.

The iPhone camera and the S7 camera take two completely different photos.
The iPhone is very color accurate, but also a little washed out looking sometimes.
The iPhone also has a much narrower area of focus.
The S7 takes very vibrant, over saturated, but very sharp photos and has a much large field of focus.

Honestly, both phones are awesome by themselves. Neither are a bad choice, specially if you can like BOTH operating systems instead of hating one or the other. (dumbest thing ever)
Anyone could be happy with either. I have to have both to be happy.
I keep an extra line so I can carry two phones or drop my main number in whichever I want that day or week.
Some days, I carry both. Some days I leave one of them at home.
Sometimes I throw my sim in a Windows Phone and leave the others at home.
I just like ALL phones and Phone Operating systems too much to be tied to Just One.

StaticidePT

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I love both devices and Android far outweighs ios in every category EXCEPT when it comes to the updates. Androids are notorious for the worst updates in the world unless you have a Nexus. You could have the latest and greatest Android device, but once the new software is released, depending on your carrier, you'll be lucky to get it the FOLLOWING YEAR in which once you get it, if you're lucky, your phone will work better and enjoy the new enhancements. Not speaking for everyone else, but in my experience, every Samsung device I have owned, once I update to the newest software, the phone and battery life tend to take a nose dive. Just in my experience though. Other than that, I definitely think Android devices are really doing a great job of staying ahead of the game.

clborden

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
One thing i can add...i rarely used screen protectors with an iPhone. But after the first week with my GS7e, i found a small scratch in the middle of the screen. I ended up exchanging it for the silver one anyway, but i picked one up right away. From what i gather, these devices scratch pretty easily.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
One thing i can add...i rarely used screen protectors with an iPhone. But after the first week with my GS7e, i found a small scratch in the middle of the screen. I ended up exchanging it for the silver one anyway, but i picked one up right away. From what i gather, these devices scratch pretty easily.

Man, all phones in any moment can get scratches. I don't know if I've been just lucky, but so far, in the HUGE amount of phones I've had in the past 3 years alone, I haven't got a single scratch on any of my phone's screens, it may be luck or simply that I'm too da*n careful with all of them and I'm always sure that it doesn't share space with any other object, in my pocket or if I need to put it on my briefcase when traveling, I always cover the screen with a microfiber towel.

But just so you know, I've seen a lot of new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s with scratched screens, they are not more resistant than the galaxies or any other phone for that matter, our S7 and S7 edge have a Gorilla Glass 4 type, proven to be a great scratch and shattered resistant but not immune to them. Just take a look to this article and you'll see that iPhones scratch the same than any other phones out there.

iPhone 6, 6 Plus owners complain of easily scratched screens

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
iMessage is a real problem if you have lots of iMessage groups. VERY frustrating transition in that scenario.

Yup. Its one of the main reasons I went back to iPhone after the getting the S6 last year. Many of my friends and family use iPhones and iMessage was just so quick and convenient. Sending/receiving video/pics from iPhone to android the quality decreases immensely unless you use a 3rd party app like Whatsapp or Google chat

justin_aga

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i went from the iPhone 6s plus to the s7 edge and so far so good. its going on a few weeks. One of the things I do miss is the music app and the design of apple music on the iPhone, also I miss being able to send clear videos through text message.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
i went from the iPhone 6s plus to the s7 edge and so far so good. its going on a few weeks. One of the things I do miss is the music app and the design of apple music on the iPhone, also I miss being able to send clear videos through text message.

I too have always like the music app on the iPhone and music is the biggest reason that kept me buying iPhones all these years. I enjoyed the way that I could buy a song or album and it would automatically download to any other iPhones I owned, my iPad and my three Macs without me doing a thing. To this day, I still buy all my music on the iTunes store rather then the Play Store and I can still load that same music on my S7 Edge that I bought in iTunes. The last iPhone I bought was a 128GB 6S+ so I could fit as much but not all of my music on it.

I had also bought a 6S in December and that phones screen got a small smudge on it after the very first week. It can only be seen when the light shines on it a certain way so I don't worry about it. I still don't have a screen protector on it and never will just like I don't have any on any Android phone I've ever had.

I always enjoyed listening to music on an iPhone though and even though I've had my iPhones in a drawer the past month, I have my 6S+ back out again and am using that as much as my S7 Edge.

I guess I will always enjoy using both and I'm OK with that. The iPhone 7 may the one I skip next year because I've been buying the S and + models. Last two years I skipped the 5 and 6. When the 5 came out, that's when I bought my first Android phone, the Nexus 4 which I still have today.

Just enjoy the devices you like and whatever makes you happy. Hope everyone has a great week. :)

puddlejumper32

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Watch Erica Griffin's review of the S7 Edge on Youtube.

The Snapdragon (US) version drops frames left and right, so it's not nearly as smooth as an iOS device.

The reason to use S7 Edge are:

Better Camera, front and back
Bigger Screen/better battery than the 6S (not as good as 6S Plus)
Samsung Pay
If you like Android
SD Card

Otherwise, everything else is pretty much worse on the Android ecosystem and/or S7 Edge.

I think there's a reason this person wants many first hand experiences