Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - 1 Month Later

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
@All - Need some feedback... Plus have a cool opportunity below too :)

For everyone already rocking a Samsung Galaxy S7 edge, you're no doubt 1 month in with the device. We want to know what you like, and perhaps more importantly, what you dislike.

IMPORTANT: You can reply here, but if you want to be a featured fan in our 1-Month later YouTube video, hit us up on Twitter and Instagram with your comment in the form of a video... and make sure you use the hashtag #SamsungGS7AC.

So - what do you like and dislike about the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge? Sound off!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am actually in love with the camera. The auto-focus is WICKED fast on this thing. I can take a picture and whip to the right, snap again, and it is perfect .. as if I was already focused on the right side and I wasn't :D. This helped a TON with taking pictures of all the kids running around on Easter :).

DrGiggleFr1tz

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
I've owned a iPhone ever since the iPhone 3G. Never once owned a Android device until the S7E was released.

I absolutely love it. Probably the best phone I've ever owned. Everything is super responsive and the camera... Oh man the camera... I'm rather astonished by it. Amazing phone all the way around. Samsung truly made me a fan.

Josan86

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
1. The phone does tend to heat up quite a lot especially when using maps or location based apps, prolonged usage of camera. But it does not heat up that much on extensive gaming or other resource intensive apps.

2. The phone has suddenly rebooted on trying to unlock with finger print a couple of times. It has happened only twice till now but the cause is unknown.

3. Third party launcher (nova) has crashed a couple of times.

4. The phone is very susceptible to scratches if kept in pocket with keys.

Posted via the Android Central App

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
I'm very happy with the phone. It's not perfect (what is), but it's without question the best phone I've used.

Complaints:

• It's way, way too slippery. I know the glossy glass back looks great, but it's nearly unusable without a case. This is the only phone I've owned that I felt the need to put a case on.
  • It's a fingerprint magnet. At least the case solves that problem, too, and a clear case still lets the shine show through. Mostly.
  • (A frosted, textured glass back would solve both these problems while still looking cool.)
  • AOD is nearly useless. It doesn't provide notifications for the apps I actually use (Gmail, Samsung?), and even for the apps it does support it's not very reliable.
  • Some of the edge features are useful, but why did they take away features that earlier edge models had? And why are there so few 3rd party edge apps? Samsung needs to pay developers to build these, to jump start the marketplace.
  • Why do I need Samsung's easily lost special tool to remove the SD card? Don't they have paperclips in Korea
  • Smart Stay (keep the screen on while you're looking at it) doesn't work at all on this phone. It worked fine for me on the GS3.

That's about it for complaints.

Things I like:

• It's fast. I don't notice any lag, or stutter, or any of the other supposed problems with Touchwiz. I don't do a lot of gaming, but for my needs performance is great.
  • The screen is fantastic. The first phone I've had that I could actually use in daylight.
  • Battery life is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. With fairly light use this can be a two-day phone. I've gotten more than 5 hours SOT with 40% of battery life left. I've never gotten 5 hours SOT on any phone before.
  • Sound quality is better than I expected. I don't listen to music on any phone's built-in speaker, but for speakerphone or nav use it's very good.
  • It's very compact (or narrow, at least) for a 5.5" screen, thanks to the curved edges.
  • The keyboard is probably the best OEM keyboard I've used, but I still went back to Swiftkey.
  • The fingerprint reader works very well. I can't compare it to the Nexus version, but there are very few times it doesn't work the first try for me.
  • Some of Samsung's (or are they Android's?) extra features are pretty cool. An on-screen magnifier pops up with a triple press of the home key. Double press to turn on camera, even with phone locked. Use the camera as a magnifier for "real reality."
  • AF is very quick and accurate, and the camera is very good.
  • No unintended reboots, even with Nova launcher. No overheating.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Fast AF camera & quality
2. Beautiful, bright screen
3. Speedy & smooth
4. One-hand use is possible & good
5. Great battery life

Dislikes:
1. Fingerprint-magnet glass back
2. Hard to find TGSP that works well
3. Slow updates

mistus

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
I am very happy with the phone all around.

I am disappointed by pictures of sunset scenes, the sky is way overexposed to show its beautiful colors.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
1. The phone does tend to heat up quite a lot especially when using maps or location based apps, prolonged usage of camera. But it does not heat up that much on extensive gaming or other resource intensive apps.

2. The phone has suddenly rebooted on trying to unlock with finger print a couple of times. It has happened only twice till now but the cause is unknown.

3. Third party launcher (nova) has crashed a couple of times.

4. The phone is very susceptible to scratches if kept in pocket with keys.

Most of the issues you mentioned would apply to any phone.

JHStewart1023

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
In love actually- this is the best galaxy series phone ever. It's what the 6 should've been but fell flat. Don't get me wrong I loved my 6 but the 7 I find myself not being able to put it down. And now that they have the Samsung upgrade every year.. I'm excited to see what rolls out next.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm very happy with the phone. It's not perfect (what is), but it's without question the best phone I've used.

Complaints:

• It's way, way too slippery. I know the glossy glass back looks great, but it's nearly unusable without a case. This is the only phone I've owned that I felt the need to put a case on.
  • Some of the edge features are useful, but why did they take away features that earlier edge models had? And why are there so few 3rd party edge apps? Samsung needs to pay developers to build these, to jump start the marketplace.

Things I like:
    • It's fast. I don't notice any lag, or stutter, or any of the other supposed problems with Touchwiz. I don't do a lot of gaming, but for my needs performance is great.
    • The screen is fantastic. The first phone I've had that I could actually use in daylight.
    • Battery life is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. With fairly light use this can be a two-day phone. I've gotten more than 5 hours SOT with 40% of battery life left. I've never gotten 5 hours SOT on any phone before.
    • Sound quality is better than I expected. I don't listen to music on l compact (or narrow, at least) for a 5.5" screen, thanks to the curved edges.
    • The keyboard is probably the best OEM keyboard I've used, but I still went back to Swiftkey.
    • The fingerprint reader works very well. I can't compare it to the Nexus version, but there are very few times it doesn't work the first try for me.
    • Some of Samsung's (or are they Android's?) extra features are pretty cool. An on-screen magnifier pops up with a triple press of the home key. Double press to turn on camera, even with phone locked. Use the camera as a magnifier for "real reality."
    • AF is very quick and accurate, and the camera is very good.

• He hit some good points on both sides that I agree with.

Dislikes:

1) I would add on the dislikes side that I didn't really need removable storage, I enjoyed the larger internal memory S6. I liked just having to search through one list of file folders to find my content rather than internal and external memory files. That is annoying for me when you're not sure where a file was saved to. A large majority of apps aren't movable to SD card, so removable storage doesn't serve much of a purpose for that. If you take a lot of pics and videos, then it may help you in that aspect.

2) I don't like that anytime something covers or moves over the front sensor, it wakes the screen up. At least if I put the phone face down to avoid this problem, I can still see the edge lighting to know when I get a notification. So I can live with that.

I also dislike how long it takes to charge on the original wireless charger. You have to purchase an additional fast charging wireless charger for this phone for charging time to be reasonable.

I love the curved edges and the functionality it brings to the phone. I'm sure they'll add more features later on but I like it coming from a the S6 and the regular screen. The night clock and the ability to swipe the edge to see if I have any notifications or to check the news updates is great for me.

I love this phone and the silver color is amazing. It is fast and the battery life is impressive. However I think if I purchased an S6 edge instead of the regular S6, I would have the curved edge screen and enough internal memory for my liking. I don't think I would've had to purchase an S7 edge. I wanted to try the edge though so I made the leap and I like it.

End result, I love the phone and after a month in, I am pleased with it.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My only dislike/issue with it after having it just under a month is that mine has a glitch that is causing the recent apps soft key to trigger by itself randomly throughout the day... And I'm not going to dare return it before my S2 arrives and risk losing that... I'm not a fan of how sensitive the screen is but I can adapt to that. I can't adapt to a rogue soft key... lol

James Falconer

Former Community Manager
Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Reminder: You can reply here, but if you want to be a featured fan in our 1-Month later YouTube video, hit us up on Twitter and Instagram with your comment in the form of a video... and make sure you use the hashtag #SamsungGS7AC.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have the S7 edge since release. I love the camera. I have noticed the past 2 weeks or so my battery is not lasting as long. I am unsure why as i have not changed anything. I take it off the charger around 6:30 a.m. it sits at my desk at work until 4:40 p.m. i usually can get away with 93% left by 4:40 p.m. Now it is around 85% when i leave work. I am not on the phone alot during the work day as i dont have time to be. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed a battery decrease?

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
ummm maybe because its designed that way?

What's designed that way? Certainly not the phone. Your pocket? I suppose it's designed so you CAN put multiple things in there, but that doesn't mean you need to, or should.

Nothing hard goes in a pocket of mine with anything that could be scratched up by it.

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I am very happy with the phone all around.

I am disappointed by pictures of sunset scenes, the sky is way overexposed to show its beautiful colors.

You should try the quick exposure adjust, just tap on the highlights in a sunset pic, it really helps pics like that look amazing. And make sure HDR is on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret