Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - 1 Month Later

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had the Samsung S7 edge for awhile. Love it.
HOWEVER, drives me crazy that when I delete an email I have to immediately go to the recycle bin and delete or the email appears back in my inbox. It is something drives me around the bend.

I've never heard of that issue happening before....you might want to check your settings bro

MuzcAL1

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
I have identified a 6.0.1 software bug. Turning on the magnification feature "tripple tap" kills the always on display. When you go to "always on" it says it is on. But it is clearly not on. Going into the option shows it is off. Turn it on and it kills the tripple tap feature. I am on Sprint with a S7 Edge. Not good to have a feature that helps people with bad eyesight just turn off by itself. Anyone else have this glitch?

Jason Gilbert

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, here it goes. (And no, I'm not interested in making a video.) I bought a silver S7E after having used Windows phones for a number of years. (Which is a whole other story. Short version-W10 for mobile blows.) After deciding to switch from WP, I chose the S7E for a couple of reasons:

1. I already have a well-established and well-used Google account, and I don't have any desire to dive into the world of iOS. My wife has an iPhone 6, and I find iOS to be inflexible and annoying, though pretty.

2. It was on AT&T.

3. It looked good.

4. I liked the size.

5. It has a HUGE battery.

So far I'm very impressed. The phone is exactly the right size. I'm 6'2, and it's just at the limit of what I can comfortably use one-handed. It's slippery and the back is perfectly flat, so without a case I was constantly afraid of dropping it. Fortunately the case showed up the other day (Obliq Slim Meta from Amazon). It looks great and adds the perfect amount of grip and protection without making it too big. The phone is tall. When I use it to make a phone call it almost feels like I'm using an old-fashioned landline. It really has a nice "full size" feel to it, but it still slips into my pocket nicely because of the rounded edges.

The screen is fantastic. Daytime, night, in the sun, in the office, it doesn't matter. It always looks good. the curved edges are beautiful, but not all that useful. I have a few apps and contacts tucked away on the pull-out edge menu that Samsung provides, but if it stopped working tomorrow I could live without it. Also, without a case it was almost impossible to hold without accidentally touching something on the sides. This is really annoying when watching a video (side touches tend to make the video skip forward or backward), and made it almost impossible for my 5-year-old to watch movies on the phone. However, this issue disappeared once I put the case on (for better or for worse).

The camera rocks. I stuck with Lumias for a long time because even crappy Lumias take decent photos. (I have a 520 that I bought for $30 that could hold its own against most Android phones.) The S7E and the iPhone are the only phones I have seen with cameras that are as good as or better than the best Lumias. Bear in mind that I don't know much about photography, so this is from the "pull it out of your pocket and shoot" perspective. The pictures and videos look great, the autofocus is instant, and it will shoot as fast as you can press the button. I have two minor gripes: (1) The zoom function produces great images, but it's not very smooth when shooting a video. (2) A dedicated camera button would have been appreciated, though double-tapping the home button works as advertised. I haven't even tried slo-mo yet.

The fingerprint scanner is also snappy, though I have yet to figure out how to simply unlock the screen with just a swipe. Fro now it's a click, then swipe the screen, then swipe the fingerprint reader. But it works reliably and quickly, and it's still faster than punching in a code.

Battery life is everything it's cracked up to be. It gets through a full day easily, so much so that recharging at night is often optional. The fast charger is indeed fast, but even my old "slow" chargers that I have laying around the house charge it up more quickly than I would have thought. I'm not sure what kind of charging magic Samsung slipped in there, but the phone seems to make the most out of whatever it's given. I'm also using my old Nokia DT-900 wireless chargers, and they work fine even with the case on.

The waterproofing seems to work. I've had it out poolside a few times and used it with wet hands, and it hasn't suffered any ill effects. I still can't quite bring myself to dunk it, so more testing may be in order. It is nice to know that if the kid splashes water on the phone it's not the end of the world.

Finally, the speed and performance of the phone is amazing. Granted I don't game on my phone, but I've never had it slow down for anything, no matter how many tabs or programs were running. It will occasionally get hot, which is amplified by the metal case, but that was really only when it was brand new and I was still installing all of my apps and really pushing it hard. For day-to-day use, it's perfect.

I installed the Google Now launcher since having the Google Now screen on the left just seems like The Right Way To Do It. I also installed Nova Launcher to use the trick that allows the screen to be scaled differently so that you can have smaller icons (and more of them). Both of the launchers work well.

The split screen feature works, but I haven't really used it. Google "on tap" works, but doesn't seem very smart. I'll keep trying, and I'm sure Google will keep making it better. Overall the predictive features on the phone work really well, sometimes well enough to be a little creepy. I guess that's the price of progress.

Overall the S7E is a great phone, and well worth the premium price. I can see myself being happy with it for a long time.

tjtkahfi

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It is just so good. The camera is great. Battery life is very great, and it has become better after software update. I love the edge screen. And the display is so great.

About the dislike, I think that it does not have Radio, the speaker is below average I think (my previous LG G3 has so much better camera), AOD on LG G5 is better (they can show you notifications like Instagram, Line, Whatsapp I think from what I've seen on Youtube), and it has so many bloatware. Not that much. It's tolerable. I don't know about yours guys, but mine is fast when it comes to the temperature. It is so hot when I am browsing. But it become cool fast. I think that is all. My dislike is minor, except for the speaker. I just don't like it so much. Otherwise, it is a very great phone.

LanceAllan

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
This was my first edge phone. I previously had the s6.

Pros:

1. I absolutely LOVE the screen. The colors are bright and crisp.
2. It is very responsive and I'm still adjusting to how I touch/handle the phone.
3. Unlike my previous Galaxies I haven't had any lag, unexpected shutdowns or freezing.
4. This thing freakin' flies!
5. The sleek shape is very mesmerizing.
6. I can block callers/messages from the call log without using a separate app. Easy peazy.

Cons:

1. I had to sell my first born to afford it. :)
2. The fingerprints...omg...I can never seem to find my screen wiper.
3. I hate that if I want to choose a different app for a particular use I have to go to the settings and change the default. There are some things I set and forget and others I need different apps for ie wallpapers, ringtones. I like how the s6 allowed me to tic off the option to use the same one all the time or choose an app just once.

I have not one single regret or buyer's remorse since day one.

Download the app "better open with" and you can cross number 3 off the con list ;)

Sent from my Adamantium™ S7 edge

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I took some good video the other night of this band playing at the bar. The camera and taking videos are great. My friend had a LG V10 I think and her phone took great pictures but she is getting the Edge in June when she is due for upgrade and she agreed mine took better selfies. But i have one complaint and it's coming from HTC's especially the M7 through M9 series miss the boom stereo speakers on the front. Playing back one of my music videos it wasn't very loud at all. But if that's my only complaint I love this phone still so much. Little things it does and gestures it's awesome! I'm still learning camera features and what each mode does.

Rich_NY

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Love the phone, ONLY thing killing me is it's hyper sensitive. Windows and apps seem to open on their own, whenever handling the phone, it gets annoying. I'm not a hater, but it is annoying.....I can't be the only one this happens to? I put the phone down, all of a sudden the telephone dialer opens up, etc. HYPER-SENSITIVE.

ryanvan

May 5, 2016
Visit site
Ok...I love this phone, it's smoking fast the screen is just amazing and love the size. Too many things to list.

You know what I hate...BATTERY. what am I doing wrong. I have never had good battery life on any phone. WHY?

Here is what I have on:
Wifi
BT (I have a smart watch(
GPS (use it for Google location for work)

I uninstalled FB, gmail, and Inbox. I use gmail from chrome. I roughly have 70 apps installed. I use hangouts because of work, so I use it for all my SMS too.

I did a factory reset from recovery last night to see if that helped battery life. NOT!!

I am seeing people getting 7+ hrs SOT..WHAT how is that possible? I want to be able to use my phone , not turn everything off...how are they doing it?

Today I was at 10% battery left and 2:23 Screen on Time, WTF? Android System was at 26% of battery consumption.

Any advise will help...there should be no way I can't get at least 4hrs scene time on this 3600mH battery.

I

Up Down

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Ok...I love this phone, it's smoking fast the screen is just amazing and love the size. Too many things to list.

You know what I hate...BATTERY. what am I doing wrong. I have never had good battery life on any phone. WHY?

Here is what I have on:
Wifi
BT (I have a smart watch(
GPS (use it for Google location for work)

I uninstalled FB, gmail, and Inbox. I use gmail from chrome. I roughly have 70 apps installed. I use hangouts because of work, so I use it for all my SMS too.

I did a factory reset from recovery last night to see if that helped battery life. NOT!!

I am seeing people getting 7+ hrs SOT..WHAT how is that possible? I want to be able to use my phone , not turn everything off...how are they doing it?

Today I was at 10% battery left and 2:23 Screen on Time, WTF? Android System was at 26% of battery consumption.

Any advise will help...there should be no way I can't get at least 4hrs scene time on this 3600mH battery.

I

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge/649384-s7-edge-battery-life.html

drsrikb

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Positives with negatives
1. Form factor is good. Wouldn't call it great though. Edges are still too thin to feel very comfortable in my hands. S7 feels better.
2. Display is excellent and is the best I have seen and used. No negatives
3. Edge features are mostly a gimmick for me. I can keep all those things on my next screen and can access by easier swipe than trying to swipe that thin handle to get the edge screens and again may have to swipe more if the shortcut u kept there is not on the edge screen u opened.
4. Battery life is very good. No complaints there.
5. Camera ... Ya. It's good. It's excellent in terms of resolution and low light capability, fast focusing etc etc. But as a photography enthusiast, I'm not happy with exposure. It overexposes most of the times. Skies look washed out and u won't see white clouds in blue sky. Night pics look like day. Shadows don't look like they should. Those burnt pixels u can't bring back by post processing. That's my only gripe with camera. My Nexus 6P exposure is always better
6. Software is okay. But I'm on Nova. No crashes yet. Works great...as of now. My apprehension is with OS updates. Producing and marketing a phone with great features is nice. But if u don't support it later with timely updates ? Let's wait n see

paridge

May 20, 2012
Visit site
Positives with negatives
1. Form factor is good. Wouldn't call it great though. Edges are still too thin to feel very comfortable in my hands. S7 feels better.
2. Display is excellent and is the best I have seen and used. No negatives
3. Edge features are mostly a gimmick for me. I can keep all those things on my next screen and can access by easier swipe than trying to swipe that thin handle to get the edge screens and again may have to swipe more if the shortcut u kept there is not on the edge screen u opened.
4. Battery life is very good. No complaints there.
5. Camera ... Ya. It's good. It's excellent in terms of resolution and low light capability, fast focusing etc etc. But as a photography enthusiast, I'm not happy with exposure. It overexposes most of the times. Skies look washed out and u won't see white clouds in blue sky. Night pics look like day. Shadows don't look like they should. Those burnt pixels u can't bring back by post processing. That's my only gripe with camera. My Nexus 6P exposure is always better
6. Software is okay. But I'm on Nova. No crashes yet. Works great...as of now. My apprehension is with OS updates. Producing and marketing a phone with great features is nice. But if u don't support it later with timely updates ? Let's wait n see

To avoid overexposure: You need to tap an object you want to expose for in the image and leave your finger there just a few seconds. This allows the camera to adjust the exposure. On its own, the camera often exposes for the darkest part of the image. I'm a photo enthusiast, and I've taken excellent night and daytime images with this phone. In addition, for sunsets and night images, you should try pro mode, which gives you the option of changing the white balance (cloudy works great for such shots) and other settings, as well as the option of shooting RAW.

danlnyc

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I hate the MOST about this phone is the fact that they removed "open with..."

It's so irritating having to reset all my preferences just because I pressed the wrong app to open with.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The one thing I hate the MOST about this phone is the fact that they removed "open with..."

It's so irritating having to reset all my preferences just because I pressed the wrong app to open with.

There is an app on Play called Better Open with. Free as I recall, and you click that in place of the app you want default. Better Open with becomes the default and allows you to choose between apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance