01-18-2017 08:59 AM
248 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Textra currently, but I'm downloading Google Messenger to give it a shot.
    04-11-2016 11:36 AM
    Google Messenger on main line and Hangouts on Google Voice
    I used Handcent in the past and still miss some of its features
    04-11-2016 11:36 AM
    Verizon messages +... WiFi texting as good as imesssge.
    I also use Verizon Message+. To my knowledge, this is the only good app that Verizon offers :-)
    tube517, buttus and t0ked like this.
    04-11-2016 11:53 AM
    Verizon messages +... WiFi texting as good as imesssge.
    Can I use this for free if I'm on Sprint?
    04-11-2016 12:46 PM
    I use Yaata with Google Voice. You can use pretty much any sms app with Google Voice as long as you have saved your contacts Google number which is what I've done. Whenever I text someone I've never texted before I will use the ugly GV app and as soon as I receive a response I add the Google assigned number to that contact.
    Google Voice user here so I'm stuck using Hangouts, unless I want to send using my carrier number, which I don't.
    I use Hangouts only for Google Voice. Are there alternatives to Hangouts that I can use with Google Voice?
    Hangouts as well for Google Voice and the mobile/desktop usability.
    04-11-2016 12:48 PM
    Textra all day every day. Theres only two apps i always install without fail on any android device and thats nova launcher and textra
    huntnyc likes this.
    04-11-2016 02:10 PM
    Samsung stock messaging app on my Note 5
    04-11-2016 02:24 PM
    So after seeing Textra being recommended countless times here i thought I'd give it a try. I forked over the $2.98 for the paid version and I must say it's blazing fast! I love everything about it so far. I do have one tiny complaint. Most of my texting are group messages with 3 to 6 people in them. With Google messenger each person was color coded and had their profile picture next to their text message so at a glance you knew who had sent what text. On Textra you won't know unless you read their name closely and it doesn't quite help the font size is very tiny.

Otherwise I'd say i'm sticking with Textra.
    James8561 likes this.
    04-11-2016 02:37 PM
    I use Hello, quite like it actually. No issues whatsoever.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ellotext.hello
    04-11-2016 03:19 PM
    There are many good free messaging apps, but I didn't have a problem paying for the ad free version of Textra Pro. The "license" is associated to my Android sign account so it is ad free on every one of my mobile devices. I got my copy at the discounted price during the promotion period, but paid the full price for my sister's copy. $2.98 isn't much for a perpetual use license for this fine app.
    04-11-2016 03:19 PM
    Textra is the best right now.
    04-11-2016 04:00 PM
    So after seeing Textra being recommended countless times here i thought I'd give it a try. I forked over the $2.98 for the paid version and I must say it's blazing fast! I love everything about it so far. I do have one tiny complaint. Most of my texting are group messages with 3 to 6 people in them. With Google messenger each person was color coded and had their profile picture next to their text message so at a glance you knew who had sent what text. On Textra you won't know unless you read their name closely and it doesn't quite help the font size is very tiny.

Otherwise I'd say i'm sticking with Textra.
    You can setup specific colors & notifications per person using the override function, but that would take some time to setup.
    04-11-2016 04:03 PM
    I tried Textra but found that you can't text to a contact group like in the Samsung app. I have several groups set up in my contacts and it's nice to quickly be able to text to all.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-11-2016 04:12 PM
    MySMS, it allows me to use Chrome to send/receive messages so I don't have to keep picking up my phone during the day. Heck, I don't even have to look away from my computer to text.
    04-11-2016 04:32 PM
    I tried Textra but found that you can't text to a contact group like in the Samsung app. I have several groups set up in my contacts and it's nice to quickly be able to text to all.

Posted via the Android Central App
    If you have groups created in contacts, just hit the + button to create new message, hit the people+ button left of the To field next to the X. Swipe right and select your group
    huntnyc and jneusch like this.
    04-11-2016 06:13 PM
    I've tried Evolve, Hangouts, Samsung's stock client, Textra, Messenger, etc and it's Textra for the win. It's the cleanest and fastest I've noticed. I used to look for messenger clients that had the option to "Mark read" from the notification panel, but those seemed rare. Evolve had that feature but it was really laggy at times. Textra has an option to dismiss from the notification panel, which means swiping it away also marks as it as read. Good enough for me, so Textra for the win.
    huntnyc likes this.
    04-11-2016 07:31 PM
    Google hangouts. Can't live without it. Using ProjectFi + nexus 5x
    04-11-2016 07:45 PM
    I still use hangout. I like the look of the app better than messenger
    04-11-2016 07:47 PM
    Can I use this for free if I'm on Sprint?
    I believe you can. Verizon Messages + should be available in the Google Play Store for anyone to install. Its a great app.
    04-11-2016 08:08 PM
    Talk about lag, Google calendar has been in reverse.

Posted via Android Central App
    04-11-2016 08:31 PM
    Haven't looked at Textra in probably a year, but it looks like they have alot more customization abilities. Probably try it for a week or so.

One of the things I love about Message+ is the ability to filter individual threads or all your conversations for just pictures. No more scrolling through hundreds of texts to find a picture someone sent you 2 weeks ago. I also like the ability to pick any background you want, have a bubble color in a specific order for 1,2,3...10 people in a thread, etc.

Oh and one more thing - despite someone saying it didn't work, Message+ absolutely shows missed messages in the Always On Display. Textra definitely doesn't.
    huntnyc and scotiez like this.
    04-11-2016 08:34 PM
    i've used GO for a few years for one reason only... it has the best private inbox features i can find. hate everything else about it. converted to Yaata over the last couple of months and im struggling without the private inbox! does textra have this feature? or any others?
    04-11-2016 09:56 PM
    I was getting the "Message Undeliverable" on my HTC One M8. Textra fixed all of my issues over all of the other Google based texting options.
    04-11-2016 10:07 PM
    Verizon's Message + (6.2.2). Love all the customization.

My Spectacular Samsung Galaxy S7Edge
    scotiez likes this.
    04-11-2016 11:12 PM
    WhatsApp for me 100%

When I switched from iPhone to Android the only thing that felt downgraded was texting. iMessage was pretty awesome and stock Android texting was simply crappy in comparison. But WhatsApp changed all that. Once I convinced family and friends to get the app there is no going back, it kinda does it all. I suspect video calling will be a feature soon.
    04-11-2016 11:27 PM
248 ... 45678 ...