What's Your Default Messaging App? Lots of lag with Google's

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I used to use Textra exclusively, but I get two annoying bugs. I randomly get messages saying that can not pull MMS Messages - or something to that affect. Also both the stock Samsung messages and Textra messages appear, no matter if I turn notifications off for stock Samsung messages and change default to Textra. Any have any ideas? Extremely frustrating, I loved Textra.

Think ill give Messages+ a try since it can sync between multiple devices. I switch from iPhone to Sammy devices depending on who has the latest and greatest. It'll make it easier to keep my messages when I switch to the fruit phone.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I use Verizon Messages + I also switched from IPhone to Samsung and so far i am loving it. The messages + uses both cellular and WiFi to send and receive messages. At work and at home i am mostly connected through WiFi, Works great. I haven't had any trouble so far after having this phone for over a month now, but if i do i might try Textra. But for now i'll stick with Verizons Messages +.

Jezza819

Jul 18, 2014
Visit site
I had to switch over to Textra a few months ago due to an update with Verizon Messages + that caused my LED notifications to stop working. With Textra, everything has been working normally.

berklon

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Textra exclusively, but I get two annoying bugs. I randomly get messages saying that can not pull MMS Messages - or something to that affect.

I get that when someone's trying to send a picture to me via text and my phone is connected to WiFi only (cell data tuned off). As soon as I turn on cell data, the picture comes through. You also need to ensure the Textra MMS setting "Prefer WiFi" is disabled.

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I get that when someone's trying to send a picture to me via text and my phone is connected to WiFi only (cell data tuned off). As soon as I turn on cell data, the picture comes through. You also need to ensure the Textra MMS setting "Prefer WiFi" is disabled.

My textra MMS setting doesn't show Prefer Wifi at all. Im on Verizon.

nikon120

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Texting App

Hangouts works fine for me. (SMS/MMS). I so rarely use video chat via Hangouts that I just exclude that.

I was a GoSMS advocate in the early days, but those greedy devs screwed up their pay model so bad and also started spamming users with adverts that I had to drop the app. I know Textra has all the features I loved on GoSMS, but I'm lazy and don't feel like configuring it. Hangouts just works.

Now, if only Google would get us a dark theme or keep the dark theme option for the OS in "N".

DrGiggleFr1tz

Mar 31, 2016
Visit site
Re: Texting App

Hangouts works fine for me. (SMS/MMS). I so rarely use video chat via Hangouts that I just exclude that.

I was a GoSMS advocate in the early days, but those greedy devs screwed up their pay model so bad and also started spamming users with adverts that I had to drop the app. I know Textra has all the features I loved on GoSMS, but I'm lazy and don't feel like configuring it. Hangouts just works.

Now, if only Google would get us a dark theme or keep the dark theme option for the OS in "N".
Textra is truly great. I was also a Go fanatic but I noticed I started getting some severe lag and general bugs. Haven't had one single problem with Textra.

It reminds me of a old quick reply app I used to use on a jaikbroken iPhone.

Cowamj04

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I am using Signal right now. I would use Samsung's default more often, but to be honest, I hate that call back numbers are shown. Hangouts has been really flaky lately, and with word that Google might be getting rid of SMS integration on it, I just am ignoring it.

I bought ChompSMS a few years ago, and I will use that sometimes. I have also used HelloSMS in the past. I like the layout of Hello, it's different than most out there.

DaHui623

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Textra user. Hangouts is ok, but nobody I know really uses it and since it is rumored to lose SMS integration I gave up on it. Google Messenger really uses the negative space poorly. Too much screen real estate used up on avatars. Textra has the best blend of reliability and customization.

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I have sent 5 smses this entire year and around 55000 on whatsapp. That bit of silly trivia aside, i stick to signal for my sms app.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
After reading this thread, I had to try Textra. Coming from the stock Sammy app on my Note 4, this reminds me a lot of Chomp and GoSMS in the early days of Android - G1. I'm digging it so far.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Why are more people not saying Hangouts? I don't think it's the best, but I can't use anything else unless it integrates Hangouts messages and SMS. Some people I regularly talk to use Hangouts, and some don't, and I've tried Textra for those that don't...but it's SO much easier to just do it all from the same app...

I have way too many hangout groups due to the forums so I don't want the groups and my SMS messages clashing.