What's Your Default Messaging App? Lots of lag with Google's

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Anyone know if Textra has the function to view only photos (MMS), from the contact you are having conversation with? I like that function in stock and verizon message+ apps.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if Textra has the function to view only photos (MMS), from the contact you are having conversation with? I like that function in stock and verizon message+ apps.

I think the only way is to go to a pic in the conversation and then you can swap to the right and it will go through all the pics in that conversion.

Posted via the Android Central App

astarling10

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I normally bounce between Textra and the stock Samsung app but lately I've been using Hangouts. It seems to work much better than it did in the past. I've seen from the comments several people praising the Verizon Messages app. I'm gonna download it now and see how it works. I'm on T-Mobile but I don't guess that will matter.

dk21

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I've struggled with this but I think I'm happy with Google's Messenger. I don't have any problems with it and it works really well with Android Wear. I got the Gear S2 as the promotional offer with my phone, and I'm having some difficulty trying to find something that I like that works on both Android Wear and Tizen for various tasks, not just texting. Ultimately, I much prefer my Android Wear and since Messenger works so well, I should probably try to sell my Gear S2. I think it's just going to collect dust.

jairrab

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty happy with Google messenger, didn't experience any lag. I used to use chompsms because of the quick-reply but pretty much all messenger have that today.

Jim Thornburg

May 29, 2015
Visit site
I've tried Textra, Google Messenger, and the stock Samsung app. I couldn't send or receive pictures with Textra, so I ditched it. Google messenger has worked best for me.

Jimmy_Jo#AC

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's Stock Messaging app on the S7. First stock SMS/MMS app I've used since 2011 that wasn't built into a custom ROM. and Hangouts. hangouts is so underrated. My iDad and iMom can use it. I can use it on my android, while my wife is on her android, and my mom is on her iPhone and my dad is on his laptop and it's seamless. Plus you can share your screen and all kinds of other cool stuff. Is it perfect? No, but that doesn't mean it isn't cool.

kman00

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I wish I could use other apps, for now I'm using the default app since I have Gear S watch and the only way I can send a text back on my watch is to us the default app. Wish we could use other text apps on the Gear S. So far the default app has worked fine without any lag so I'm not that upset lol

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't have an S7 E, but this is a great thread. The one thing that has kept me using the default Samsung Messaging app (on a GS5) is their implementation of Quick Reply AND the fact that it will turn the screen on when I get a message. The Samsung quick reply ESPECIALLY comes in handy if I'm doing something else on the phone (like playing a game or video) then I can quickly respond to the txt that came in without the game or video losing focus...i.e. you can quickly triage/respond to the message and not have the game or video be interrupted.

Can anyone on this thread tell me if the Textra implementation of quick reply does this now? or does the quick reply still fill the whole screen and force the app you were using to lose focus?

Tadrift

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
I use Messenger. Clean, simple and for the most part reliable. Only issue has been every once in a while it will not want to send a picture in a text. Other then that I have never missed a text or had one ever not go out.

I have tried all the others. Evolve wasn't bad, but it was a hot mess of settings, views, etc. MMS is pretty straight forward, no need to over complicate things IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678