What's Your Default Messaging App? Lots of lag with Google's

Apr 30, 2016
Visit site
Was using google messenger, but switched to textra after I realized it doesn't show the number of unread messages. I didn't experience any issues with lag though.

smf98aggie

Apr 21, 2016
Visit site
Textra here too. I like the versatility of emoji sets and how much more reliable it is with MMS.

After reading this thread, I just downloaded Textra too. I've been trying to find something that has a black background and has iOS emoji, and it looks like I've found my new favorite!! :D

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
After using Google's for ages, I'm very happy with the stock one right now. Only thing I'd change is the stupid way it notifies delivery reports.

NotoriousNeo

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Been using Google's Messenger since day one. I don't think I've ever experienced any more lag than any other app tbh. Animations may skip every now and then when bringing up the keyboard, but that also happened on my Nexus 6P so it's like nbd to me. Gotta say I really love the way gifs are automatically animated within a conversation thread. Pretty much the only reason why I don't use the stock messaging app. Having to click on the image so it opens separate from the conversation is lame.

Xsie

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Re: Texting App

Same here, using stock messages, but with thebSwype keyboard. Didn't like the stock keyboard at all!

li2327

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

Samsung stock app for me. It has really improved over the years. I like that there are some real font size options with it now, because I like my font small. The old version use to still be bigger than the system font even if you chose tiny in the messaging app. Now you can match it all up.

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

ChompSMS. I'm having issues with the length of the sms the stock is able to send (3parts). I can't make it send longer messages as sms.

Chomp is full featured, capable of doing dual SIM, and is very reliable. Although lately I learned that Textra had an update to support dual SIM, so I might try that. Same devs made both apps anyway. Textra is lighter though.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Textra - mainly because of the option to add "Textra Emoji - iOS style" since most of my family group texts involve other iOS users - this way we all see the same emoji.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I like Textra too, but I have stock apps on my home screen dock and the Textra icon doesn't fit in with the rest.

RocketFoot

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I have Textra Pro but I actually like the stock app...I just wish it had more features or I wish Textra had the 'speed dial' feature that the stock app has!

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I have Textra Pro but I actually like the stock app...I just wish it had more features or I wish Textra had the 'speed dial' feature that the stock app has!

I quite like the stock app too, but I just wish the SMS delivery report could just tick the outgoing message in the thread rather than giving you another notification.

asublimeday

Aug 2, 2016
Visit site
Sorry to necro, but does anyone know if Textra encrypts SMS messages? Do I have to use Facebook Messenger with "Secret Conversations" on, or another data-based app? Thanks.