Does anyone know why there is a little 1 next to all my text messages? I have a Samsung S7 Edge

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh ok. Always learning something new. Well I do not have that version of the GS7E and I get that #1 next to text messages when Im texting someone on the same network and it switches to "enhanced messaging." So I'm going to take a wild guess and say that he's not seeing that because of dual Sim cards

Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder why it would be a "1"? Or could it be some other symbol, and it just looks like a number 1?

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that's good to know. I wonder why it would be a "1"? Or could it be some other symbol, and it just looks like a number 1?

No it's definitely the number "1." I was going to screen shot it for you but it seems to disappear after some time. It's not next to the messages in my texts anymore

mattmartin15

May 6, 2016
Visit site
yes, you can put 2 sims in the slot instead of a sim and an SD card. if you do then you have a choice of sim 1 or sim 2 to send message. so that explains the blue box

NishaBarrett

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
I know this is late but I have a GS7 on the Sprint network. I was texting my bf when I noticed a little 1 pop up next to my texts. So connecting pieces, I assume it's from being in chat mode. I noticed that right under his contact name in the thread it told me when he was replying back. And after he replied I noticed the little 1 gone.

Hope1986

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
This is not the case because I am with a different provider to sprint.
I tend to find that it only happens to a particular friend though.

Sean Fuji

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site
This is not the case because I am with a different provider to sprint.
I tend to find that it only happens to a particular friend though.

I think it's defaulting to the first number in your phone number. if you don't have a set username or whatever it defaults to that 1. so if you're phone number is +1 123-456-7890, it's going to display a 1. I THINK.

JOC2016

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
If you have a dual sim phone you can give both sims a different name and also represent them with a different icon, you can set preferences for outgoing text messages, mobile data and calls, but you need to set mobile data to the sim that sits deepest into the phone, the bottom number one socket since this is the only location with 3g capability - the other location is only 2g calls only. When you text message - send or receive the requisite icon appears next to the messages so you know which sim it has come from. If you don't set an icon I could well imagine that a number 1 or 2 might equally appear. I hope this helps - I am a FD owner too.

AmanDUH1031

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
I think it's defaulting to the first number in your phone number. if you don't have a set username or whatever it defaults to that 1. so if you're phone number is +1 123-456-7890, it's going to display a 1. I THINK.

I know this thread is a few months old but I figured I would chime in anyway... so I got my Galaxy S7 in June, since then I haven't been able to use the enhanced messaging at all because most of my friends have iPhones & those that do have android don't have new enough phones... well I met someone yesterday & we exchanged numbers, when he text me I noticed that it was an enhanced message & when I send him a message I see the little number 1 next to my messages until he reads them & then it disappears. So I'm thinking that it's a read receipt but I'm not sure why it is a number 1... has anyone else figured this out yet?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know this thread is a few months old but I figured I would chime in anyway... so I got my Galaxy S7 in June, since then I haven't been able to use the enhanced messaging at all because most of my friends have iPhones & those that do have android don't have new enough phones... well I met someone yesterday & we exchanged numbers, when he text me I noticed that it was an enhanced message & when I send him a message I see the little number 1 next to my messages until he reads them & then it disappears. So I'm thinking that it's a read receipt but I'm not sure why it is a number 1... has anyone else figured this out yet?
It may be the number of unread messages. I'm curious if you sent 2 in rapid succession if that number would reflect that.

meganloree

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I have the dual sim version (ordered the wrong one oops! :eek:) and only use 1 sim in it. For me the little '1' next to the message definitely relates to which SIM it is coming/going from. In Sim card manager you can update the icon used - by changing the icon all the little '1' signs changed to the new icon I chose. i haven't got a memory card in the other slot yet - maybe when I do that annoying little icon will go away......

vineeenmanarang

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
If by any chance your boyfriend has either the Galaxy Note 4 or later models (S6 edge and the later Note models) then you both have Enhanced messaging turned on. The number 1 appears beside a message when the recipient haven't read it yet and disappears when it's read.

Chris Green81

Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
It may be the number of unread messages. I'm curious if you sent 2 in rapid succession if that number would reflect that.

It doesn't appear to be because of unread messages because it's still there after receiving a response and there were three separate texts from me all with the little "1" before the response that remained after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34