Adobe Flashplayer with Firefox Browser?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I need special software at work that still requires Flashplayer and they have no plans to switch to HTML5....EVER.

So in my Note 3 currently I use flashplayer (sideloaded from Adobe website) with Firefox (neither Chrome nor Samsung Browser us flashplayer) Flashplayer also works with Dolphin and Puffin but I like it best with Firefox.

Has anyone with Verizon Edge 7 tried using flashplayer? I hate to buy the phone only to return it the same day and pay the fee. I absolutely NEED flashplayer with Firefox. Both are free if you feel like trying but sideloading flashplayer might screw up Banking apps or Sammy Pay? I don't know but I have heard some software treats sideloaded apps as security breach. I don't think you can get flashplayer from Playstore any more.

Has anybody tried using flashplayer? Thanks so much.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
A few years ago before Adobe stopped supporting flash on mobile devices, I used to use it on my old Nexus 4 on Firefox with no problems. Again, that was over three years ago.

Since Adobe hasn't updated Flash for mobile in almost two years, you will be using a very old version and I don't think anyone here can tell you whether or not it will work with the current OS and Firefox version. You'll have to try it yourself and see.

Last I knew, Adobe still stored those old versions on their site so you will have to do some searching on Google to find them and side load.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I have the apk. Just wondered if it still works in marshmallow. Some people do love themselves some Flashplayer. I had hoped somebody used it. I would not encourage anybody to sideload anything merely to answer a question. I would miss it terribly. Like I used it tonight in the middle of a movie. Ran out. Checked some info. Answered an email. All in the time it took me to walk to the lavatory. I would miss being able to do that but it's not like my job depends on it or anything.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. It was nice of you.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well, I know that Google stopped supporting flash somewhere back when KitKat was released so I can't say how well or if it even will work at all now.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It works fine in lollypop in my note 3. I am however aware that VZW or Samsung or Google could disable it any time they want.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I haven't purchased an edge yet. Initially I couldn't get one. Now I am weighing the things I will lose vs gain.

Theoretically sideloading flashplayer could disable banking apps or Samsung pay so that would be harmful indeed. I have heard of people locked out of their banking apps because sideloading anything is considered a security breach and somehow the app tests for it during installation.

Like I said I am not encouraging anyone to do it but if someone already had I would have been curious. Sideloading can be very dangerous if you don't know the origin of the apk.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I haven't purchased an edge yet. Initially I couldn't get one. Now I am weighing the things I will lose vs gain.

Theoretically sideloading flashplayer could disable banking apps or Samsung pay so that would be harmful indeed. I have heard of people locked out of their banking apps because sideloading anything is considered a security breach and somehow the app tests for it during installation.
I have not heard of that happening myself. The only problem I have ever had was when I rooted my Note 5, it prevented Samsung Pay from ever working again, even if I return the phone to stock.

I'm not going to try running flash myself. I don't need it for anything and most websites today have moved past requiring flash.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes I know. I wish my company would. It isn't even really my company it is a service offered by another company that mine uses.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to use Firefox? If not download dolphin browser and in settings, turn "Flashplayer always on." then when you go to a site that requires flashplayer, it will give you an option to download and install it. Follow the instructions and it should work. Good luck. Not sure about Firefox if that is the browser you need to use for work

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to use Firefox? If not download dolphin browser and in settings, turn "Flashplayer always on." then when you go to a site that requires flashplayer, it will give you an option to download and install it. Follow the instructions and it should work. Good luck. Not sure about Firefox if that is the browser you need to use for work
Well if I download it in Dolphin I am sure Firefox can access it. My only concern is since it is a download from "an unknown source" (sideloaded) will it trip security so Samsung Pay or Banking apps won't work. If someone else had already tried I would know. Sounds like nobody else misses flashplayer any more or I would have heard back by now.

Strangely, only firefox formats the page so that I can hit the download button. On dolphin and puffin (i have both) no matter what the setting they crop off the area the download button is in

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't see it causing an issue with your other apps, but I'm not a phone wiz so I can't say I'm absolutely sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC