For about a week or two I was able to use Android Pay on my Verizon S7 Edge the normal way: unlock phone with my fingerprint and then just pay. Some event occured however (an update? something else?) that broke this behavior: now even if my phone is unlocked, if I go to use Android Pay it will not work before showing me an additional password prompt that I must get through first (Says that I must "Unlock" to use Android Pay.. although it is already unlocked).

I've done a factory reset and uninstalled/reinstalled Google Play Services/Android Pay updates without any luck - by the time the phone is completely updated/useable, Android Pay begins to misbehave again.

Anyone else out there using Android Pay instead of Samsung Pay and seeing a similar issue?

Thanks!
    04-11-2016 07:24 AM
    Don't know a reason for your issue, but why on earth would you use Android Pay instead of Samsung Pay? Samsung Pay is accepted almost anywhere. I've used both platforms and would never go back to Android Pay.
    DrGiggleFr1tz and pontiac005 like this.
    04-11-2016 09:34 AM
    I think by unlock it means your password not the device. Apple Pay is similar. I think they do this so if your phone isn't password protected, someone can't just take your phone and use your mobile payment without verification (the passcode/fingerprint)
    04-11-2016 11:21 AM
    I've had the same issue now for a couple of days on the Galaxy S6. The change in behavior came with the Android 6.0.1 update. The lock screen is protected with a fingerprint (as it was before the update), but Android Pay doesn't seem to honor that. So, I have to unlock the screen, tap to pay, get asked for a fingerprint by Android Pay, then pay.

I don't know how to fix it, but I can definitely confirm it's a byproduct of the 6.0.1 update.
    04-13-2016 10:49 AM
    Why not just use Samsung pay instead. Works better than Android pay.
    pontiac005 likes this.
    04-13-2016 11:25 AM
    Why not just use Samsung pay instead. Works better than Android pay.
    Why not just use a piece of plastic, because that works better than Samsung Pay? Seriously, keep this on topic.

To answer your question, though, I don't only use a Samsung phone. I actually don't like their devices too much because of the bloatware and UI. I hate the contact app, calendar app, etc. If Samsung would just stick with default Android apps, rather than try to improve on them, I might change my attitude. I also buy things online from my PC and Google keeps all the payment info together and protected. Using Samsung Pay is only useful from my one Samsung device.
    Gerry429 and hal1138 like this.
    04-13-2016 01:21 PM
    Keep this on topic? Calm down. It's only a question. Relax. Maybe you didn't know about samsung pay. How do we know. That's not exactly the best way to get help by responding like that. For all you know I know the answer to your problem but now I wont share it.

My question to you was not insulting. It was a genuine question.;
    04-13-2016 01:41 PM
    I don't use Samsung pay because my primary card isn't accepted. And the pin code for Android Pay every time is indeed frustrating.

Posted via the Android Central App
    hal1138 likes this.
    04-14-2016 12:08 PM
    I have this same problem on my Galaxy S5. It never used to have this problem until I recently updated the OS to Android 6.0.1. Now, whenever I place my phone on an NFC reader, Android Pay asks me to enter my backup password (for unlocking the phone), even though the phone is already unlocked. After I enter the backup password, I need to place my phone back on the NFC reader again to conclude the transaction.
    10-10-2016 01:36 PM
    On another thread, someone suggested I try disabling Smart Lock. Since I did have it enabled, I disabled it, and now Android Pay is no longer asking me for my backup password at the NFC reader. I'm relieved to have this resolved.

I also want to point out that after about eight exchanges with the Google Support Team, none of them ever once suggested this problem might have anything to do Smart Lock.
    11-02-2016 11:16 AM
    Because "your device is not compatible with this version of Samsung Pay"
    12-13-2016 09:56 AM
    On another thread, someone suggested I try disabling Smart Lock. Since I did have it enabled, I disabled it, and now Android Pay is no longer asking me for my backup password at the NFC reader. I'm relieved to have this resolved.

I also want to point out that after about eight exchanges with the Google Support Team, none of them ever once suggested this problem might have anything to do Smart Lock.
    Interesting. I'm only on my 3rd call thus far but will bring this up in our next interaction nextra week.
    01-08-2017 05:25 AM
    Thanks for the information.

I was having the same problem with entering the PIN with Android Pay on my S7 Active.

I'll try unlocking the phone with my PIN instead of using the fingerprint reader before I make my next purchase.
    03-26-2017 12:12 PM
    The user experience sucks when you are paying with NFC and keep getting prompt for passwords. This is unmecessary. The system could prompt user to setup phone unlock password before they are allowed to use Android Pay, instead of asking everyone for a password at the point of purchase.
    04-30-2017 03:11 AM
    For about a week or two I was able to use Android Pay on my Verizon S7 Edge the normal way: unlock phone with my fingerprint and then just pay. Some event occured however (an update? something else?) that broke this behavior: now even if my phone is unlocked, if I go to use Android Pay it will not work before showing me an additional password prompt that I must get through first (Says that I must "Unlock" to use Android Pay.. although it is already unlocked).

I've done a factory reset and uninstalled/reinstalled Google Play Services/Android Pay updates without any luck - by the time the phone is completely updated/useable, Android Pay begins to misbehave again.

Anyone else out there using Android Pay instead of Samsung Pay and seeing a similar issue?

Thanks!
    05-14-2017 07:39 PM
    The same thing happened with me today with my ZTE Axon 7 Mini. When it happened, inputting the passward was time consuming and I was frustrated. After coming home, I changed my screen unlock type from complex password to "pattern." I could have changed to "pin" too. Then, all of a sudden, it is not a big deal. I am rather glad that I have this doubly secure security system.
    05-14-2017 07:49 PM