04-18-2016 06:17 PM
30 12
tools
    is the AOS really that great? i'm wondering if disabling and letting Doze work is preferable.

what do you think?
    04-11-2016 05:54 PM
    Always on display is just okay. If it displayed 3rd party notifications then it would be great. I have mine on, just for telling me the time when I take the phone out my pocket. The preference is yours.
    04-11-2016 07:17 PM
    I have always on display. It's continent for me so I don't have to constantly turn on my phone to see what time it is. I do notice that it's still dozing even when on AOD

Posted via the Android Central App
    brad419 and omega6666 like this.
    04-12-2016 08:51 AM
    AOD isn't as featured as of like (would like it to show all notifications) but I leave it on anyway. Coming from a moto x I've become so used to glancing at my phone to see the time that without it its just not as convenient. With the led it is clear if any notifications are present so can just wake up the screen in that case.

04-12-2016 08:54 AM
    one thing I'd really like the AOD to have is, turn on with swipe over the proximity sensor and be on like for 30 seconds.. like I had on my 1520.. that would save battery and would let me see notifications without unlocking the phone... and of course the third party support..

The phone dozes with AOD on but the standby is dramatically different between it off and on.. I don't want it to drain like 7-8% overnight when there is no use to the AOD.
    04-12-2016 10:59 AM
    one thing I'd really like the AOD to have is, turn on with swipe over the proximity sensor and be on like for 30 seconds.. like I had on my 1520.. that would save battery and would let me see notifications without unlocking the phone... and of course the third party support..

The phone dozes with AOD on but the standby is dramatically different between it off and on.. I don't want it to drain like 7-8% overnight when there is no use to the AOD.
    I believe this is an option under accessibility to turn on the screen by swiping over the sensor. I saw it in a video of 30 tips for the S7 but haven't tried it yet myself and don't have my S7 on me today.
    04-12-2016 11:29 AM
    If you turn the phone face down at night AOD will shut off.
    brad419 and xocomaox like this.
    04-12-2016 07:16 PM
    Zendroid - I checked that.. It turns on the whole screen.. The feature I'm talking about just turns on the clock n notification as how it is in AOD...
    Meyerweb - right that's an option.. I'm not used to putting the phone face down.. So that didn't occur to me.. Hehe.. If this swipe feature ain't coming I gotta do that only.. Lived with AOD too long to give that up 😂
    04-12-2016 08:59 PM
    I disabled it within ten minutes of getting the phone. I think it's a waste of battery personally plus I have a smart watch to glance at notifications

04-12-2016 09:01 PM
    Another option is to turn on the edge clock at night. That turns of AOD while the edge clock is on. I assume the edge clock uses less power, but no idea how much less.
    Shinigami Mai likes this.
    04-13-2016 12:04 PM
    If you turn the phone face down at night AOD will shut off.
    I keep my phone in my shirt pocket. AOD also shuts off there and the phone will go into doze if not used.
    04-13-2016 01:49 PM
    I keep my phone in my shirt pocket. AOD also shuts off there and the phone will go into doze if not used.
    You keep your phone in your pocket overnight, while sleeping? I hope you have a good case and screen protector.

Assuming you mean that your shirt is hanging on a chair, or similar, and not moving, then yes, what you say is true. But if you're talking about keeping it in your pocket while you're moving around, Doze will not kick in. The phone has to be completely still for a significant period of time before Doze kicks in.
    Thiscrapsucks35 likes this.
    04-13-2016 04:34 PM
    You keep your phone in your pocket overnight, while sleeping? I hope you have a good case and screen protector.
    Well, that was a worthless waste of time on my part.
    04-13-2016 09:14 PM
    But if you're talking about keeping it in your pocket while you're moving around, Doze will not kick in. The phone has to be completely still for a significant period of time before Doze kicks in.
    Not according to GSAM stats. But you seem to know everything about everything so I'm sure the app is incorrect.
    popkurn611 likes this.
    04-14-2016 11:50 AM

I believe this is an option under accessibility to turn on the screen by swiping over the sensor. I saw it in a video of 30 tips for the S7 but haven't tried it yet myself and don't have my S7 on me today.
    That's exactly what I use instead of AOD, works perfect for me for those moments I want to see a notification or simply check the time. No need for AOD for me.
    04-14-2016 12:15 PM
    Can anyone on ATT confirm that Doze is on this phone? I swear I've NEVER seen any setting or notification anywhere to indicate that it is.
    04-14-2016 12:28 PM
    Can anyone on ATT confirm that Doze is on this phone? I swear I've NEVER seen any setting or notification anywhere to indicate that it is.
    All Android phones with Marshmallow MUST have Doze on it, it's not a setting or app that you can go and check, it's on the OS core. Google made it very clear when they announced Doze on Marshmallow that no OEM or Carrier can alter this feature by any mean.
    04-14-2016 12:39 PM
    In battery section there is place to see which apps have gone doze and which not.
    04-14-2016 02:49 PM
    I think it is doze.
    04-14-2016 02:50 PM
    Inside Marshmallow: What is Doze, how do I use it and what does it do? | Android Central

For Doze to kick in, your phone needs to be sitting still with the screen off, and not connected to a charger. That means no moving around and nudging the gyro or other motion sensors, no touching the screen or the buttons and no waving your hand around in front of it if you're using a phone like the new phones from Motorola that have motion detection on the front bezel. Set it down, and leave it alone.
    Or direct from Google

How Google Cloud Messaging handles Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow | Android Developers Blog

Android 6.0 Marshmallow introduces a new power saving feature called ‘Doze’. A device enters Doze when the user leaves it unplugged and stationary for a period of time and with the screen off. When this happens, the system defers application activity to save power.
    Or more Google: Behavior Changes | Android Developers
    Doze improves battery life by deferring CPU and network activities when a user leaves a device unplugged, stationary, and with the screen turned off.
    GSAM shows you how often Doze has been activated, but not when, so you can't say it's activated while you're moving around with your phone in your pocket.
    04-14-2016 03:13 PM
    All Android phones with Marshmallow MUST have Doze on it, it's not a setting or app that you can go and check, it's on the OS core. Google made it very clear when they announced Doze on Marshmallow that no OEM or Carrier can alter this feature by any mean.
    Yeah, I've heard that before, but I have seen absolutely NO proof that it exists, or that an app has gone into doze mode. It seems highly unlikely that there would be nowhere to see a feature on the phone.

Can anyone on ATT provide proof that ATT s7 edge's have Doze?
    04-18-2016 07:34 AM
    I'm on AT&T and my phone has doze

04-18-2016 08:58 AM
    The plateau pretty much shows when the phone has been in doze mode

Attached Thumbnails Always On Screen vs. Doze feature-6568.jpg  
    04-18-2016 09:00 AM
    Yeah, I've heard that before, but I have seen absolutely NO proof that it exists, or that an app has gone into doze mode. It seems highly unlikely that there would be nowhere to see a feature on the phone.

Can anyone on ATT provide proof that ATT s7 edge's have Doze?
    It works just like the other tons of core features that are not available for the user, behind doors, hidden so they can't be messed with. Because you can't see them doesn't mean that they don't exist and are working on the phone.
    04-18-2016 09:55 AM
    I guess I'm expecting to see something more along the lines of this...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/att...e-doze-651.jpg

This is at least 3rd party proof that Doze exists.
    04-18-2016 12:33 PM
30 12