Week and a half old S7 Edge screen spontaneously cracked along the volume button?

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
I have had this phone about a week and a half. It has never been dropped, thrown, or been through any kind of pressure. Not a single scratch on it. It has never been out of the otterbox until after the occurrence, when we were trying to figure out what the heck happened.
The phone was simply sitting next to me on the computer table. I picked it up to check my texts, set it back down with not roughness. Not two minutes later I picked it up to check a new text and there is was. It's spider-webs out just along the edge, starting from the bottom volume button (that I did not even touch in the last hour or two). It looks like pressure was put on it in a very tiny spot there, which makes no sense. It was there with nothing on it.
We're not sure if it's the otterbox, or something defective on the phone screen? Either way, someone is gonna fix this. I did nothing to cause it, it's my birthday present, my love pays a lot for this thing, and his brother even passed up an upgrade opportunity to ensure I could get it!
What is the best way to handle this? Has it happened with anyone else? I got the phone, otterbox and insurance through Verizon on a plan several years running. Who do I contact or expect to help with this? Samsung? Verizon? Otterbox? I don't know! I've never had this happen before, and my anxiety is going insane mode with me being lost on figuring it out!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for your plight, but you're not alone. This kind of thing has been reported on the S6 when it came out, along with other phones. Here's a Google search result. Not sure who will remedy this for you, but you should talk to both Verizon and Samsung. I doubt Otterbox will do anything about it unless you can prove the case caused the crack.

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
your only option is Verizon for an insurance clam. Otter box and Samsung will not care. I just had my screen fixed. failed on its first drop. I made sure to get the insurance now., Since the screen is garbage and I'm stuck with it Ill let them keep fixing it. win win for them. last edge I will ever buy

Corysti

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I feel your pain. I purchased my new edge today and within 40 minutes the back has a cracked and I honestly have no idea how I did it. One minute it was flawless then I picked it up again and there was the crack. Going through with insurance..hope they have one in my color available.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And yet, not a single picture of this weird phenomenon. Can someone post one? I'm really curious how this looks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Suheil85

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I had the phone in my baggy gym shorts and just squated down to get something and when I took my phone out the screen was cracked from one end to the other! Kills me cuz I'm so careful with this phone and by just having it in my pocket it cracked! There wasn't even any pressure on it. Gonna cost half the price of the phone to replace the screen and I'm sure it won't be as good as new.... Can't take a pic of it Cuz I'm using the same phone to write this

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
That "overheat" thread image looks for all the world like impact damage to me, and most others, I think.

Without seeing any pics of the damage referenced in this thread, it's impossible to make any reasonable comments except "sorry." Surely the posters know someone else with a phone they could use to take a picture. But this is the first phone I've had in a long, long time that I think I'm going to get insurance for. For my needs, in the US, I'm going with Samsung's plan:

Samsung Protection Plus

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Would love to see some pics. It's amazing how everyone who has these issues then explains how much they baby their phone and take care of it. Maybe there is an issue but every pic I end up seeing looks like impact damage.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Seems like everyone in this thread who has had this problem has had their phone for less than 14 days, so I'm not sure what the issue is. They talk about making an insurance claim, when you could just return the phone.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Seems like everyone in this thread who has had this problem has had their phone for less than 14 days, so I'm not sure what the issue is. They talk about making an insurance claim, when you could just return the phone.

Umm no. The carrier / retailer isn't very likely to accept a return on a damaged phone. And no matter how much one says the phone wasn't dropped, they're not going to believe you.

rnunley77

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The screen on my S7 edge is broken and I have done absolutely nothing to damage the phone. It has not been dropped, bumped or handled roughly. Also I have not had the phone even a month yet. Samsung and/or Verizon does not warrant these phones and once their is damage any warranty is automatically voided!! Verizon told me for a $150.00 deductible they will send me a refurbished phone! I told them they were off their rocker because I am not paying another $150.00 on top of what I am already paying for a crappy phone! The corning gorilla glass is not what it's cracked up to be! No pun intended!

Last edited:

rnunley77

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
According to Verizon once the phone is activated and you have used it your only option is to file an insurance claim! And unless you purchase the warranty Samsung offers they do absolutely nothing except tell you the warranty is voided because the phone has damage!!

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There are two ways your screen will Crack. Either rapid temp change which should be difficult with Gorilla Glass or stress. Stress is either from a drop/impact or manufacturer defect where something was forced in assembly. Proving the later is probably darn near impossible. I feel for you. I managed years ago to get a phone replaced that broke in my pocket while watching a movie. Back then the break was clearly caused by the hinge. The replacement never had the issue, but with extra stress on the hinge on that phone it was clearly applying pressure to the display. My point is the first phone though clearly a working phone simply broke under the daily stresses of use because something with the tolerances was to tight.

Though I do take care of my s7e I don't baby it. It goes in my pocket in a spigen case and comes out when I need it. I am sure it bumps things through out the day in my pocket. I have no problem so far. But if they all were so fragile my phone would certainly of had issues by now. Each person's daily use and perspective on careful use is subjective though.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Something just dawned on me. How hard is it to prese the volumr and power buttons with the case you are using. It seems strange the break would occur there if it wasn't related to the action of using the button.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2