Micro SD card?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
You CAN go wrong with a Samsung - Samsung did with the S3 4.4.2 update. It started eating SD cards. SanDisk figured out the problem and came out with cards that bypassed it - before Samsung acknowledged that there was a problem.

The price for legitimate cards from the 2 manufacturers are about the same, so I stick with the company that invented the technology - SanDisk. (They're also easier to deal with if you have to - SanDisk microSD Tech Support gets you a live person who actually knows something.)
But Sandisk doesn't have any really good 128gb cards available. This is why I went with Samsung.

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Hi, has anyone noticed a 0.5-1 second wake up lag (from when phone is in standby for a minute etc) with the SD card inserted? I'm noticing this slight lag compared to if you wake up the phone without the SD card inserted. Anyone else can reproduce this?

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi, has anyone noticed a 0.5-1 second wake up lag (from when phone is in standby for a minute etc) with the SD card inserted? I'm noticing this slight lag compared to if you wake up the phone without the SD card inserted. Anyone else can reproduce this?

My phone wakes instantly with and without it inserted. What card do you have?

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
My phone wakes instantly with and without it inserted. What card do you have?

Hi there, since the April update, I've noticed my issue has been fixed. I suspect this issue only affected the Exynos variant of the S7.

Also when you say instantly, what exactly do you mean by that? If you're getting "instant" wake-ups ***without*** the Always-on Display (AOD) enabled, then I really want your phone! I generally get near "instant" wake ups with the AOD enabled, but a 0.5-1 second total lag without it enabled. Before the fix, the total lag was about 1-1.5 seconds (AOD disabled).

This issue is discussed in great detail in this forum/thread, and I made a post there too (check out the YouTube video at the top of that page):
Galaxy S7 slow to wake - Pg. 17 | Samsung Galaxy S7

Last edited:

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi there, since the April update, I've noticed my issue has been fixed. I suspect this issue only affected the Exynos variant of the S7.

Also when you say instantly, what exactly do you mean by that? If you're getting "instant" wake-ups ***without*** the Always-on Display (AOD) enabled, then I really want your phone! I generally get near "instant" wake ups with the AOD enabled, but a 0.5-1 second total lag without it enabled. Before the fix, the total lag was about 1-1.5 seconds (AOD disabled).

This issue is discussed in great detail in this forum/thread, and I made a post there too (check out the YouTube video at the top of that page):
Galaxy S7 slow to wake - Pg. 17 | Samsung Galaxy S7
I always have AOD on, so they are pretty instant. What I meant was there's no difference with or without the SD card inserted.

Glad that update fixed your issue!

ssj100

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I always have AOD on, so they are pretty instant. What I meant was there's no difference with or without the SD card inserted.

Glad that update fixed your issue!

Yes, very pleased that the update fixed the issue. It was just one of those irritations ("first-world problems") for me! What monster have we created in this generation/era right hehe.

Good point, following the update, there's no difference between whether the SD card is inserted or not, and it's all acceptable now (with AOD enabled, it's actually faster than most other phones out there that don't have the AOD feature). Without AOD enabled, it's slightly slower than most other phones (eg. iphone 6, Windows phones), but it's a difference of about 1/4 to 1/2 second, so not a significant issue really hehe. And I've decided to have AOD enabled by default too - it's most useful in situations like when you leave a room with your phone on the table and return later - you don't need to touch your phone to check if you've received a text/call in the time you're away, as you can just glance at the phone with the AOD enabled. Again, all these "first-world" benefits huh hehe.

Bag of Leaves

Apr 23, 2016
Visit site
I normally use SanDisk cards, but since I wanted my card when I was setting up my phone and was also getting the wireless charger stand (as a former Palm Pre user, I needed the wireless!), two cases, and a screen protector, I couldn't spend for the SanDisk 128 GB. I got this Amplim 128 GB Class 10 UHS-I MicroSDXC card for about $38 and it had a few reviews from other S7 users, so I felt okay about it. I haven't had any issues after having it only a little over a week, but it fits perfectly in the SD card opening - no issues with it unmounting accidentally (which is good news after I had to super glue my S3's SD card into the phone after it constantly unmounted and remounted).

http://www.amazon.com/UHS-1-Amplim-128G-Performance-TF/dp/B015DJLUTM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

I use the card to store music (about 10 GB, or 4.5 days, worth so far), photos, e-mails, etc.