04-18-2016 04:49 PM
41 12
tools
    This is my dilemma as well. I have been scouring lots of threads like this one. My number one concern is usability issues around the edges.

I'm used to large phones; I had an S5 and was OK with it, had an S6 for a short bit, and preferred the size of the G4 I am now using. I had a Note 1, and 2 and loved those.

The past year I have been disappointed in the outdoor viewing brightness in the G4, and I would like some waterproofing that the S7 series offers. The S7 series also seems to have great viewing outside. I have one of the G4 serial numbers that is prone to the bootloop issue, but I have no issues with it so far. I am thinking that I should upgrade sooner rather than later, as I will be spending a lot of time outside this summer.

I want the next phone I get to last at least 2 years. I am concerned a bit about the edge touch/holding issues, and reports of the screen breaking easy on the edge vs the normal S7. But the larger screen and battery of the edge has me conflicted. If the Note 6 or an 'S7 Plus' were available now before the summer (or before the warranty expires on my G4 next month) then I would go with one of those.

I DO use cases on all my phones. I have a couple of questions:

1. I'll probably use a Ringke Slim (or similar case), as well as a Spigen Neo Hybrid (or similar) case. What are the chances these solve the majority of touchscreen issues? Sounds like the Neo Hybrid, being a bit thicker may do it, but a slim case?

2. Is the curved screen more prone to breaking? The folks happy with the device...is increased fragility just an accepted risk? Looks like there are no glass protectors yet that seem to fit properly. I'll try a Spigen crystal or similar to help with scratches (I have been using this on my G4, as a glass protector makes the G4 screen too insensitive to touches, unfortunately).

The size of this phone, along with the features are pretty much what I am looking for....that darned curved screen adds no value to me, and only seems to be a complication in ergonomics and reliability. But I want to upgrade soon, and I don't think the Note 6 will be here in time.
    04-17-2016 12:54 PM
    I'd like to disagree with those who are saying they got used to holding the S7E and that fixed the issue. Of course, I'm not saying they're wrong. If it works for them, that's great.

In my case, I have large hands (long fingers) and while I can hold the phone differently to try to stop inadvertent touches, it is not ergonomic or comfortable to do so. In fact, the phone is not comfortable for me, even if it didn't have the touches issue, without a case. That's unfortunate, since my MO has usually been to use my phones at home without a case. I can't do that with the S7E, both for the touche issue and for the feeling that I'm simply going to drop it (while avoiding the drop issue). For those also with large hands (long fingers), this may be an issue for you, too.

Just a bit more food for thought.
    Good that at least you are acknowledging that you have large hands and long fingers and that in your case you haven't got used to the phone's design, but sorry, that's why everybody should try and test any phone (or anything for that matter) and get to your own conclusion if it's for you or not, and not simply hear or read about it and order it online without even try it by yourself.

It's better to go to a store and hold it and test it in there, with a couple of minutes trying the phone you can definitely know if it's going to be good, great or bad for you, the in hand feeling is very unique and obviously there is no single phone out there that will satisfy everybody's needs or be everybody's perfect choice.
    Not Quite Right likes this.
    04-17-2016 01:37 PM
    I don't have too much of a problem with it. I hold the phone resting the bottom on my little finger and have three fingers behind. Since the update, I have no problems with the side of the screen and also the accidental touches opening links etc when scrolling have stopped with the sensitivity fixed.

On the other side, the phone is slippery and I would never walk around without it being in a case, just to be sure. I use the slimmest case I could find, the Spigen Crystal Clear just for added grip when on the move.
    04-17-2016 01:51 PM
    Good that at least you are acknowledging that you have large hands and long fingers and that in your case you haven't got used to the phone's design, but sorry, that's why everybody should try and test any phone (or anything for that matter) and get to your own conclusion if it's for you or not, and not simply hear or read about it and order it online without even try it by yourself.

It's better to go to a store and hold it and test it in there, with a couple of minutes trying the phone you can definitely know if it's going to be good, great or bad for you, the in hand feeling is very unique and obviously there is no single phone out there that will satisfy everybody's needs or be everybody's perfect choice.
    Nothing for you to be "sorry" about. I don't regret getting the S7E.

There's no such thing as a perfect phone. This just happens to be one of the things I have to deal with in owning this particular phone. Not a deal breaker for me by any means.

It's always better to go fondle the phones at the mall first if you can. This works in both ways. Sometimes it's not as cool as you thought, and sometimes a phone you thought would be too big (i.e. the LG G3 for me until I actually picked one up and held it) turns out not to be. I didn't wind up with a G3, but I did get a G4 the following year.
    04-17-2016 02:30 PM
    The screen is great outside, just done some filming outside with bright sunlight on the screen and had zero problems with seeing everything, I agree that without a case it feels slippy in the hand but the spigen hybrid clear case I use is great, the slight bumper around the edge makes it feel really secure plus it keeps my hand away from the edge no matter how I hold the phone.
    chriskwarren and KPMcClave like this.
    04-17-2016 02:32 PM
    Even the slimmest case I have (a LUVVITT TPU) is good enough to keep the edge touches at bay. It doesn't take much.
    chriskwarren and D13H4RD2L1V3 like this.
    04-17-2016 02:35 PM
    I don't regret getting this phone at all. I came from the lg g3 and was a former Samsung note user. Touchwiz has come a long way.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-17-2016 04:39 PM
    I am using a slim case and it eliminates any accidental touch problems. I was having some problems before the case but none now.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-17-2016 04:57 PM
    I had some problems with accidental touches the first few days I had my s7e waiting for my Spigen Neo Hybrid case to arrive, since the case arrived I hardly have any problems anymore

now I am just waiting on VZ to push out the screen sensitivity update that should fix the problem altogether

the accidental touches have only been minor annoyances and I have been completely satisfied with my s7e and I have no regrets getting this phone
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-17-2016 06:11 PM
    Even the slimmest case I have (a LUVVITT TPU) is good enough to keep the edge touches at bay. It doesn't take much.
    A case is a pretty good buy for this phone, especially.

Since it's rather slippery and fragile. Minor niggles for me, however.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    04-17-2016 10:12 PM
    The very existence of this thread indicates the OP wasn't "taking the word of a notoriously biased magazine."

Heaven forbid someone should come to the forums to get some advice or feedback.
    Oh please ... I think I dispensed the best advice anyone could give. "Heaven forbid" someone were to get off they're butts and buy a product that has already received some pretty awesome reviews from many credible sources. Not every aspect of peoples lives needs to be endlessly crowd sourced by total strangers ...
    04-18-2016 08:32 AM
    I own the s7 Edge and I just love this phone! To slove the minor issues, just get a good case.. I use the Speck clear case...This case give great protection! As far as the phone.. THE BEST PHONE ON THE MARKET!

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-18-2016 09:12 AM
    Anyone who does not immediately put a case on a $700+ smartphone, probably has more money than I do. However, the aesthetic quality of the S7 Edge build is a big selling point and if you NEED to put a $20 case on your great looking phone in order to increase its usability or reliabilty I don't see that as a positive.
    blackburn5bw likes this.
    04-18-2016 11:09 AM
    Didn't you all take the **** when Apple suggested a case to alleviate antennagate? Lol
    I believe you did......
    Nobody should HAVE to buy a case to use a device....
    Before you slate me for being a troll...... I use both iphone and android.... Currently S7 Edge previously S6 Edge +
    Just thought I'd point it out...
    04-18-2016 01:49 PM
    Anyone who does not immediately put a case on a $700+ smartphone, probably has more money than I do. However, the aesthetic quality of the S7 Edge build is a big selling point and if you NEED to put a $20 case on your great looking phone in order to increase its usability or reliabilty I don't see that as a positive.
    Didn't you all take the **** when Apple suggested a case to alleviate antennagate? Lol
    I believe you did......
    Nobody should HAVE to buy a case to use a device....
    Before you slate me for being a troll...... I use both iphone and android.... Currently S7 Edge previously S6 Edge +
    Just thought I'd point it out...
    Again, I don't need to have a case to avoid this issues as I don't have them, I adjusted my handling on this phones (S6 edge and now the S7 edge) and in a day or so I was already used to handling it differently than when I use a regular flat screen phone. I also have an S7 and I know what I'm telling you, once you handle it as a phone with an edge, you minimize the accidental touches. Obviously and as it has been discussed here already, people with large hands and fingers will have a lot more issues with this than others, but again, the phone is not for everybody.

I have a case (http://www.amazon.co.uk/ElecShield-Ultra-Samsung-Galaxy-Cover-Clear/dp/B01BJTKB2C?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00), and it's practically just to avoid scratches in normal usage or to minimize the damage in case of a drop, but as you can see it's barely visible, people think I have the phone naked, so it doesn't even have the huge borders for the edge sides that helps with this as it forces you to not touch the edges while holding, but again, this is a curved screen phone, with edges, so it uses those edge for actions so it clearly has to allow for those touches, if it's too sensitive or not, that's another story and one that was supposed to be corrected or at least be better after last update, but don't expect the phone to not register those touches if you indeed do it.
    jazz70 likes this.
    04-18-2016 02:47 PM
    I do believe the screen is overly sensitive to touches, which can create problems with the way some hold on to the phone. I have had the phone for about 3 weeks (ATT) and still have issues with inadvertently selecting things on screen. I wanted to run this phone without a case, but that is out of the question with how sensitive the screen is. Hopefully ATT will get the update out soon.
    04-18-2016 04:49 PM
41 12