Picked up an S7 edge yesterday and it's my first phone with quick charge. Typically, regardless of power remaining, I plug in when I go to sleep, and unplug when I wake up. Does it affect anything with a quick charge to leave it plugged in?

Also, do I HAVE to use the quick charge unit exclusively? I have a charger that I keep at work, for just in case. It's 2A, so powerful enough, but not quick charge.

Just not wanting to do anything to damage the battery as I typically like to keep phones for two years.
    04-17-2016 06:58 AM
    I've had the s6 before and even with the s7 I do the same, The phone will know its done charging and will slow to a trickle charge. As for your work charger, it won't hurt it if its not a rapid charger. I occasionally charge mine off my laptop when I get in those areas where my cell signal sucks.
    04-17-2016 07:35 AM
    I was confused why the quick charge option was turned Off by default. I was wondering why it was taking so long.
    04-17-2016 09:21 AM
    Charging a battery slowly is better for the battery life. I have not used the quick charge at all and charge wirelessly every other day or so. I can live without the phone for the 2.5 hours it takes to charge.
    04-17-2016 09:25 AM
    Charging a battery slowly is better for the battery life.
    really, and in your many tests how much more does that reduce the battery life?

comments like that scare people from using the tech that is there. If it was bad to use it then why have many companies spent 10's of million on designing it that way. Why are their many phones like my note 4 after 2 years still going strong with fast charge. Exactly, what differences does having the phone off then fast changing compared to fast changing when the phone is on. How about ambient temperatures, or how about how many times the phone is drained to 0 , which is even worse. How do we know that a long drawn out constant charge to the cells is better then a quick 20-30min fast charge then it drops for the rest of the way.

There are a ton of factors including the battery itself that can effect the longevity. Personally, If its hot inside,outside I would shut the phone off then fast charge, if not then use it when its on.
    tsells, dryja123, brad419 and 1 others like this.
    04-17-2016 03:10 PM
    If it was bad to use it then why have many companies spent 10's of million on designing it that way.
    Because people who go into withdrawal when they can't touch their phone think they need it. I also seriously doubt anyone spent "10's of millions", fast charge has been around a long time, it's not a new thing just for your S7. And, the companies who provide it don't care if your battery lasts two weeks let alone a couple years. For phones with replaceable batts, yeah, not a big deal. For an $800 phone with non-replaceable battery?

And accepting technology just because someone provides it is short-sighted (actual comment edited to please resident censors).
    04-18-2016 11:07 AM

And accepting technology just because someone provides it is short-sighted (actual comment edited to please resident censors).
    haha.. then you might want to buy a 90's flip phone. I'll take and enjoy the new advancements.

You dont think it cost millions to do R&D of hardware and software and implementation in many brands of phones? Fast charging and quick charge from smasung, Google, Qualcomm 1.0-3.0, testing done all the carriers... really..

You are free to use your phone in easy mode and the slowest charge possible, but my point is not to scare people with something so small and almost un-testable. Draining the batt to 0 will do much more damage to the battery then fast charge.
    04-18-2016 11:43 AM