SD card that came w/device is unsupported format.

j_rae_p

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
Long-time reader/short-time member here.

Today I finally had time to work on moving my media from my old 32 GB card that I had in my Galaxy S4 to the new 64 GB card that came with my Galaxy S7 Edge. I got the phone/card/VR device all on release day at Best Buy.

When I put the card in the phone, it says it's an unsupported card, touch to set up in a supported format. So I do, and on the next screen I touch Format, and it appears that it's doing what it should. But then I get an error message, which is in the attached screenshot.

Also, when I put the card in the reader and put it in my laptop, the computer doesn't recognize that a card was inserted. So I thought the reader was bad. I put it into a reader that I used successfully earlier today. The computer still doesn't recognize that a card has been inserted, no matter what card reader I use.

Any advice on what I can do to correct this error?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Attachments

• Screenshot - problem with micro SD card 04.17.2016.png
    Screenshot - problem with micro SD card 04.17.2016.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 68

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Problem with Micro SD Card

Today I finally had time to work on moving my media from my old 32 GB card that I had in my Galaxy S4 to the new 64 GB card that came with my Galaxy S7 Edge. I got the phone/card/VR device all on release day at Best Buy.

When I put the card in the phone, it says it's an unsupported card, touch to set up in a supported format. So I do, and on the next screen I touch Format, and it appears that it's doing what it should. But then I get an error message, which is in the attached screenshot.

Also, when I put the card in the reader and put it in my laptop, the computer doesn't recognize that a card was inserted. So I thought the reader was bad. I put it into a reader that I used successfully earlier today. The computer still doesn't recognize that a card has been inserted, no matter what card reader I use.

First, welcome to Android Central (as a member) :).

What you can try is formatting it once again. Eject the card, re-insert, then reboot the device and see if that helps. You can try and format via the computer; however, for a brand new card you shouldn't be having this much of an issue. I'd suggest taking the SD card back and see if they will give you a new one.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would try another card. Sounds like something might be wrong with the card.

Agree. Take it back to BB and show them what's happening.

Good first step. Hopefully that fixes it.

The error seems to point towards a partition issue (though I'm not certain), which Android can't fix. You would need to use partition manager in Windows to fix it. It's a hassle but I've recovered quite a few cards this way.

AndroidVic

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Perhaps the write protect is on? When you have the card in the adapter, check for a small slide switch.

Plus..there are slao different speeds for SD cards. Make sure the speed on the phone accepts the speed of the card they gave you. I would not assume the Best Buy rep knew what he was giving you. Probably grabbed some junk they had lying around.

SURESH SURESH3

Oct 26, 2017
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital