Long-time reader/short-time member here.

Today I finally had time to work on moving my media from my old 32 GB card that I had in my Galaxy S4 to the new 64 GB card that came with my Galaxy S7 Edge. I got the phone/card/VR device all on release day at Best Buy.

When I put the card in the phone, it says it's an unsupported card, touch to set up in a supported format. So I do, and on the next screen I touch Format, and it appears that it's doing what it should. But then I get an error message, which is in the attached screenshot.

Also, when I put the card in the reader and put it in my laptop, the computer doesn't recognize that a card was inserted. So I thought the reader was bad. I put it into a reader that I used successfully earlier today. The computer still doesn't recognize that a card has been inserted, no matter what card reader I use.

Any advice on what I can do to correct this error?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.
    Attached Thumbnails SD card that came w/device is unsupported format.-screenshot-problem-micro-sd-card-04.17.2016.png  
    SURESH SURESH3 likes this.
    04-17-2016 08:27 PM

Today I finally had time to work on moving my media from my old 32 GB card that I had in my Galaxy S4 to the new 64 GB card that came with my Galaxy S7 Edge. I got the phone/card/VR device all on release day at Best Buy.

When I put the card in the phone, it says it's an unsupported card, touch to set up in a supported format. So I do, and on the next screen I touch Format, and it appears that it's doing what it should. But then I get an error message, which is in the attached screenshot.

Also, when I put the card in the reader and put it in my laptop, the computer doesn't recognize that a card was inserted. So I thought the reader was bad. I put it into a reader that I used successfully earlier today. The computer still doesn't recognize that a card has been inserted, no matter what card reader I use.

First, welcome to Android Central (as a member) .

What you can try is formatting it once again. Eject the card, re-insert, then reboot the device and see if that helps. You can try and format via the computer; however, for a brand new card you shouldn't be having this much of an issue. I'd suggest taking the SD card back and see if they will give you a new one.
    04-17-2016 08:35 PM
    You say this came with the phone? Are you in the UK?
    04-17-2016 10:29 PM
    No, I'm in the US. This is the card that came with the phone for free as a promotion from Best Buy.
    04-18-2016 05:51 AM
    I would try another card. Sounds like something might be wrong with the card.
    04-18-2016 11:04 AM
    Agree. Take it back to BB and show them what's happening.
    04-18-2016 04:29 PM
    Agree. Take it back to BB and show them what's happening.
    Good first step. Hopefully that fixes it.

The error seems to point towards a partition issue (though I'm not certain), which Android can't fix. You would need to use partition manager in Windows to fix it. It's a hassle but I've recovered quite a few cards this way.
    04-18-2016 04:32 PM
    Perhaps the write protect is on? When you have the card in the adapter, check for a small slide switch.

Plus..there are slao different speeds for SD cards. Make sure the speed on the phone accepts the speed of the card they gave you. I would not assume the Best Buy rep knew what he was giving you. Probably grabbed some junk they had lying around.
    04-19-2016 09:18 PM

10-26-2017 01:29 AM