09-10-2016 12:12 PM
51 123
tools
    I admit that I've never been a fan of the stock TW launcher but every year I'm finding myself more and more wanting to use it. I have been using it for awhile with my edge and haven't been tempted back to Google Now or Nova just yet.

On the Google Now launcher I love having Google Now on the far left screen. On Nova I like being able to change the icons (picture, size, layout, etc...).

Just curious what everyone's favorite features of their favorite launcher are?
    sfla99 likes this.
    04-19-2016 11:33 AM
    Icon packs, Gestures(especially swipe two fingers down for app search in Nova), Home/App drawer grid size customization, Icon layout and label customizatios, animations.

Those are the quick top of my head reasons why I still use Nova.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-19-2016 12:03 PM
    There are some that want their phones, no matter what it is, to have the same in the layout.
    04-19-2016 12:10 PM
    I use Google Now launcher since I just like how it is done. I did the trick with Nova to gain more screen space on the S7 Edge so that + GNL works well. I also like having the Google search bar at the top.
    gendo667 and zipro like this.
    04-19-2016 12:20 PM
    I use Google Now launcher since I just like how it is done. I did the trick with Nova to gain more screen space on the S7 Edge so that + GNL works well. I also like having the Google search bar at the top.
    What is the trick with Nova?
    04-19-2016 12:25 PM
    What is the trick with Nova?
    There is Native DPI Scaling Hidden in the Galaxy S7 .
    2high4u, Zendroid1 and uktivo like this.
    04-19-2016 12:26 PM
    I like to change the look, size and layout of my icons (incl number of rows and columns). I remove the clutter of the app name. I remove the apps icon that directs to the app drawer. I like to use gestures to launch my frequent apps and also things like hiding the notification bar and toggling and expanding the notification bar from any spot on the screen.

I use Nova.

04-19-2016 12:29 PM
    Part of the reason why I switched from Apple to Android years ago is/was the customization ability that Android offered over Apple. 3rd party launchers offer increased customizations that you can't get with the stock launcher.
    04-19-2016 12:31 PM
    Wow this is huge! Thanks so much. This was one of my biggest gripes with the stock and GN launchers.
    Almeuit likes this.
    04-19-2016 12:39 PM
    Wow this is huge! Thanks so much. This was one of my biggest gripes with the stock and GN launchers.
    Yep it is a must for me now. It makes everything nice and neat .
    04-19-2016 12:49 PM
    Cause Nova is life.....
    Rukbat and chanchan05 like this.
    04-19-2016 01:04 PM
    I know that I'm supposed to like Nova Launcher better, but I keep finding myself coming back to TouchWiz. For several reasons. First, I like the news brief widget on the left screen. Second, there's this strange difference with the size of the Google bar when comparing TouchWiz to other launchers. It appears to fat on launchers like Nova, but a nice sleep narrow size on TouchWiz. In order to get it that narrow on Nova, I have to shrink all of the icons down real small. I like having the Google bar in there, but I like it in the narrow size on touch TouchWiz. Third, it drives me crazy when I install several apps on Nova, if I don't remember their names, having to look through Page after page of apps to find them. I much prefer the TouchWiz approach of putting new apps at the end of the list until you tell it to alphabetize them. As for the one advantage of Nova Launcher, customize contacts, that Advantage is lessened somewhat by the ability to change themes with TouchWiz.

04-19-2016 01:31 PM
    I use nova for the gestures.

04-19-2016 02:58 PM
    Endless scrolling, tabbed app drawer, icon packs (wish I could apply them to the edge launcher), more flexibility in positioning and sizing icons and widgets, ability to select an icon for a folder, swipe and tap actions for folders (e.g., I can set it up so a tap opens the folder, a swipe loads the first app in the folder).

I never use the Google bar. I have Nova set to recognize "OK Google" so there's no need to type into a search box.

The TW launcher is the best it's been, but still not up to Nova launcher.
    Rukbat and TemporalBeef like this.
    04-19-2016 03:58 PM
    Nova. Icons resize is a must.
    looking4birds and Rukbat like this.
    04-19-2016 04:13 PM
    Nova is very good but i have noticed a slight stutter when pulling notifications down via custom gesture. On TW it is very smooth. Tho i have to reach up to get it down.

04-20-2016 03:27 AM
    Touchwiz is s good launcher. Used it for years and never had trouble with it. Tried Nova and Google launchers and went straight back to Touchwiz.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.
    brad419 likes this.
    04-20-2016 09:24 AM
    Nova is very good but i have noticed a slight stutter when pulling notifications down via custom gesture. On TW it is very smooth. Tho i have to reach up to get it down.

That's interesting. Smooth as silk here. That's one of the big advantages for me. Makes one handing a large phone much easier.
    illlya likes this.
    04-20-2016 09:51 AM
    Yep it is a must for me now. It makes everything nice and neat .
    I think with the latest update the option is present directly in display settings.

And I use Arrow Launcher, it's fluid, simple and has useful stuff like call history, reminders etc on home page..

My gripe about some of the other launchers is.. The icons are too big..
    I'm not a fan of Swiping through pages for apps too..
    Only downside I see with arrow is, it doesn't support live wallpaper..

Attached Thumbnails S7 Edge Users - Why do you use another launcher?-8834.jpg  
    04-20-2016 09:57 AM
    and one more thing, with the condensed scaling, whether its done via Nova or Display settings, Android Pay breaks since the Safety Net check fails. There is another thread on this, I thought it was because of the Nova method but Android Pay breaks even when done via Display Settings.
    04-20-2016 10:03 AM
    I think with the latest update the option is present directly in display settings.

And I use Arrow Launcher, it's fluid, simple and has useful stuff like call history, reminders etc on home page..

My gripe about some of the other launchers is.. The icons are too big..
    I'm not a fan of Swiping through pages for apps too..
    Only downside I see with arrow is, it doesn't support live wallpaper..

It may be available via the non-carrier variants (I see "4G" on yours so I assume you're outside the US or using an International Model) but on carrier variants you have to use the Nova trick -- see below .

and one more thing, with the condensed scaling, whether its done via Nova or Display settings, Android Pay breaks since the Safety Net check fails. There is another thread on this, I thought it was because of the Nova method but Android Pay breaks even when done via Display Settings.
    I just use Samsung Pay and have no issues -- no need to worry about AP.
    Attached Thumbnails S7 Edge Users - Why do you use another launcher?-1461165217455.jpg  
    04-20-2016 10:12 AM
    It may be available via the non-carrier variants (I see "4G" on yours so I assume you're outside the US or using an International Model) but on carrier variants you have to use the Nova trick -- see below .
    Ahh okay.. I get it.. And yeah I'm using an international Variant.. so can't use Samsung Pay.. Not that I'm using AP anyway.. hehe...
    04-20-2016 10:34 AM
    I have been in the past a Stock Android user. Came from Nexus 6 to S7 Edge. and I have not up til now been tempted to switch it to the Google Now Launcher. I like some of the shortcuts with TouchWiz and still can get to Google now with a key press. time will tell....

04-20-2016 02:17 PM
    Nova (Prime) for sure...the endless customization is the best!

Rukbat likes this.
    04-20-2016 06:58 PM
    Agree 100%
    04-21-2016 07:36 AM
51 123