08-14-2018 06:48 PM
168 1234 ...
tools
    My Nexus One had terrible burn in, with the icons in the notification bar all on permanently. The Galaxy Nexus went a bit of a dull green shade across the whole screen.

I expect things to have improved since then.
    04-23-2016 10:13 AM
    My Nexus One had terrible burn in, with the icons in the notification bar all on permanently. The Galaxy Nexus went a bit of a dull green shade across the whole screen.

I expect things to have improved since then.

Not really, my Note 5 has status bar burn in (actually the rest of the screen aged faster than the status bar, which was black, so now the status bar is just a slightly brighter strip).
    04-23-2016 01:49 PM
    Visit a wireless store and take a look at phones that are 6 months or more old. You will see very serious burn-in. So if you plan on having your screen on, at maximum brightness, for long periods of time showing the same general images... You WILL suffer from this issue.
    04-23-2016 02:20 PM
    My Galaxy S2 Skyrocket and Galaxy Rugby Pro had pretty bad status bar burn in. I noticed slight status and nav bar burn in on my Nexus 6 after about a month. Was able to fix it with Amoled burn in fixer. Now I hide status and nav bar and switch up my widgets.
    gg22 likes this.
    04-23-2016 02:28 PM
    Hmmm, we'll see. I will probably switch when the next Nexus devices come so SE what mine is like then.

I wonder if this is why Samsung stick with off screen home/back/multitasking buttons?
    gg22 likes this.
    04-23-2016 03:39 PM
    Thanks guys. It looks like it's a bad idea to use Map navigation on a Samsung phone regularly... that's kind of a bummer.
    04-24-2016 08:57 AM
    In any case, I personally don't like AMOLED at all, but Samsung developed this tech so it uses it. The best IPS displays out there are just as good if not better, with no longevity issues.
    I'd love to see an IPS display with the same contrast ratio, viewing angle and maximum brightness of the current SAMOLED displays on Samsung phones. Only problem is they don't exist.

A lot of misinformation in this thread. Looking at a store sample as a meaningful data point is just silly (or stupid). Those phones are on 24x7. No one actually uses their phone that way. Samsung phones don't use the Nav bar icons, so they can't burn in (and modern SAMOLED screens are much better than the old Nexus ones). I recently borrowed my son's Galaxy S3, which was used daily for more than two years. There's slight burn-in on the status bar, but since those icons are normally lit up anyway you don't notice it except under special circumstances.

Navigation? I used nav routinely on my old S3, and there's no burn in from it. The maps are constantly moving, the directions at the top are constantly changing. Not sure what the TomTom app mentioned displays, but there are few static elements on Google Maps. Unless you're using it for many hours every single day It's not going to be a real issue.

Do AMOLED screen colors shift over time? Yeah, very slowly. But LCD's fade and shift over time, too. Unless you're using your phone for color matched photographic or industrial applications where exact color is critical (do you have Pantone color patches stored on your phone?) you'll never notice.
    04-24-2016 10:16 AM
    My Note 2 has extensive burn in due to me playing a word game frequently. Consequently, I still use the Note 2 quite often, instead of my S7, to play the same word game, so as not to get burn in on the S7. And when I do use the S7, I turn the brightness down when playing that game.
    04-24-2016 12:10 PM
    Do you guys know how long it would take to burn in my display if I were to leave my phone on 1 image without putting it to sleep?
    04-24-2016 02:11 PM
    Go to Best Buy. The demo units that display the same image for hours with full brightness all have it
    04-24-2016 06:29 PM
    IPS panels can burn images in as well. One model of the Apple iMac suffers from this problem. I had thought only AMOLED had this issue but it can happen on both technologies. Just less common with IPS.
    04-24-2016 08:49 PM
    Do you guys know how long it would take to burn in my display if I were to leave my phone on 1 image without putting it to sleep?
    About four weeks. 24x7 at 100% brightness with generally the same static images.

The reason I know this is after about four weeks of the Target demo units being out they started to show visible burn in on all white screens. Target absolutely keeps them powered all night because I know someone that works there. I also saw these same phones when they were first put out with no burn in.
    04-24-2016 08:50 PM
    Go to Best Buy. The demo units that display the same image for hours with full brightness all have it
    And do you keep your phone screen on full brightness 24x7? I thought not, so the data point is meaningless. If you do, then I agree an AMOLED display isn't for you.
    04-24-2016 09:23 PM
    And do you keep your phone screen on full brightness 24x7? I thought not, so the data point is meaningless. If you do, then I agree an AMOLED display isn't for you.
    That's actually not what I was getting at whatsoever but thanks for your input. I was responding to the guy that said he'd never actually seen a phone in real life that had screen burn in
    04-24-2016 10:06 PM
    If anyone wants to see a phone with burn in, come see my Note 2. And trust me, I don't have the screen on 24/7, and the burn in occurred more than a year ago. Most of it is due to playing a word game. the letters in the rack are bright yellow on a blue background. Doubters of burn-in just haven't experienced the problem themselves, and they don't want to believe it can happen as it may shake up confidence in their phones longevity??
    04-25-2016 08:41 AM
    7 years of Amoled screens from 3 different manufacturers and 2 different OS's. If there has been screen burn in I can't see it so I guess for me it's a moot point.

Posted via the Android Central App
    04-25-2016 08:52 AM
    7 years of Amoled screens from 3 different manufacturers and 2 different OS's. If there has been screen burn in I can't see it so I guess for me it's a moot point.

Posted via the Android Central App
    All that means is that you didn't have static images on your phone from a frequently-used application. It doesn't mean the technology isn't prone to burn-in. If you had 25 phones without burn-in, it doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. It's a matter of use case.
    04-25-2016 09:09 AM
    I have seen burn in on store models but I don't count this as "regular use". My friends who keep phones forever and use them like a regular user haven't had any burn in (I change phones too much so I wouldn't ever see it). A phone that is on (screen) 24/7 displaying images over and over for a demo model isn't exactly an ideal candidate unless you just want to get super technical. The technical is nice but I also like to compare things to real-world use since that is what 99% of people go for .
    04-25-2016 09:30 AM
    I'm glad for you that you have never had an expensive phone get burn in.
    04-25-2016 10:38 AM
    04-25-2016 10:46 AM
    I am not sure what this is for? I don't believe anyone is denying it can happen -- because it can. Just depends on how you use it. For majority of users who don't leave a static image on their screen they will be fine.
    04-25-2016 10:56 AM
    What it is for is to show examples of burn-in, just in case some folks here aren't quite sure what we have been referring to.
    04-25-2016 11:37 AM
    My Nexus 6, a daily driver since Nov 2014, had pretty bad burn in right before it finally bit the dust a few weeks ago. It happened fairly sudden as well, it wasn't noticeable until a few months ago.
    04-25-2016 12:12 PM
    My Nexus 6 is showing signs of it. It's not terrible but it's certainly noticeable when watching videos, or playing games. My friends Galaxy S6 edge also has burn in, but hers is a little worse because it's the keyboard that is ghosting across the lower portion of the screen.
    04-25-2016 04:30 PM
    My Turbo 2 and Note 4 both have noticeable burn in/ghosting/whatever you want to call it. If you look at a solid color screen (especially white), you can clearly see areas that are lighter corresponding with where the virtual buttons or doc icons are located. Not crazy noticeable, but there. These are fairly new devices and not being left on for hours on end like store display units. Amoled screens definitely "Burn in". My wife's iphone 6+ gets way more screen on time with no noticeable burn in.
    04-25-2016 04:41 PM
168 1234 ...